Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking News: Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Tesla re: FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eve
It is common knowledge in the forums and the media that Elon is often overly optimistic about his companies capabilities. I believe that in his heart he fully believes that his goals are attainable with enough time, talent and hard work, they can be realized.

He has personally be successful far beyond the average person and has achieved incredible accomplishment. His enthusiasm for possibilities drives him and is would not be impossible for some of those goals to not be obtained in the timelines he predicts.

Not sure if the courts will take this into consideration with multiple class action suits, but these days that is just the price to be paid for trying to accomplish great things with great enthusiasm.

Perhaps expecting Elon to accomplish everything he says he will do is naive.
Even in the fsd department Elon has accomplished most of what he says he will do.

• Funny
Reactions: mtndrew1
It is common knowledge in the forums and the media that Elon is often overly optimistic about his companies capabilities. I believe that in his heart he fully believes that his goals are attainable with enough time, talent and hard work, they can be realized.

He’s made the same promise every year for the past 6 years. If he believes it every time, that would make him a slow learner.

I think it’s far more likely he knows exactly what he is doing. This man has a company that can launch a rocket and then land the boosters side by side. Tell me that doesn’t take some wickedly talented programmers. He can do that, yet I’m to believe he’s too thickheaded to recognize year after year that FSD is more than just a few months away.

If he had our best interest at heart or if he had the least bit of remorse about his repeatedly broken promises, he’d make the paid for but undelivered FSD, transfer to our next Tesla. He doesn’t. Instead he charges for it all over again. He certainly has no issue with immediately stripping FSD from any used Tesla that passes used through Tesla’s ownership. So it’s fully paid for, but it doesn’t stay with the car and it doesn’t stay with the purchaser. That now stripped FSD sale just became all profit. Selling FSD year after year, and promising delivery is right around the corner, year after year, is a blatant money grab.

To see and not to recognize what’s repeatedly going on would make me a slow learner.

He’s made the same promise every year for the past 6 years. If he believes it every time, that would make him a slow learner.

I think it’s far more likely he knows exactly what he is doing. This man has a company that can launch a rocket and then land the boosters side by side. Tell me that doesn’t take some wickedly talented programmers. He can do that, yet I’m to believe he’s too thickheaded to recognize year after year that FSD is more than just a few months away.

If he had our best interest at heart or if he had the least bit of remorse about his repeatedly broken promises, he’d make the paid for but undelivered FSD, transfer to our next Tesla. He doesn’t. Instead he charges for it all over again. He certainly has no issue with immediately stripping FSD from any used Tesla that passes used through Tesla’s ownership. So it’s fully paid for, but it doesn’t stay with the car and it doesn’t stay with the purchaser. That now stripped FSD sale just became all profit. Selling FSD year after year, and promising delivery is right around the corner, year after year, is a blatant money grab.

To see and not to recognize what’s repeatedly going on would make me a slow learner.
Not being able to make LB/HB work says it all...not lack of skill but will...

I've been a fan of the idea of transferability of FSD license, but it just dawned on me that such a transfer would significantly impact Revenue Recognition today. (TSLA would have to reserve a bunch of FSD revenue on the chance that current customers transfer the FSD to a new purchase.)

I've been a fan of the idea of transferability of FSD license, but it just dawned on me that such a transfer would significantly impact Revenue Recognition today. (TSLA would have to reserve a bunch of FSD revenue on the chance that current customers transfer the FSD to a new purchase.)
Why would it impact revenue? A TSLA shareholder would Love the new car sales and software bait to influence future buyers to remain brand (TSLA) buyers. There’s more money in cars then software especially when they can hide much of the cost in the car price increases.

It’s a simple switch setting. There’s no cost to flipping that switch to enable it on a new car. The collected revenue won’t need to be reserved because there’s no new cost.

Eventually all cars will come with full no touch autonomous autopilot. It’ll be decades from now, but if it makes travel safer it is inevitable. It will be ubiquitous so won’t be an expensive option, it’ll just be a part of a new car. The question is will a driver be able to turn it off. I would anticipate there might be a partial defeat but the computer control would be automatically restored if the driver was driving outside what was deemed acceptable parameters. A couple of decades later even that partial defeat will be unavailable.

I won’t live to see it but I’m sure that’s what’s coming. That’s unless you remaining lot don’t manage to get control of this global warming catastrophe. If not, there’ll be huge population decreases, wars over food, and then you survivors might be riding horses. Those horses will know where they’re going so that’s a form of autopilot.

Last edited:
It’s a simple switch setting. There’s no cost to flipping that switch to enable it on a new car. The collected revenue won’t need to be reserved because there’s no new cost.

Fromm an Accounting standpoint, there certainly is a cost to maintain software. Currently, TSLA assumes xx years for the life of FSD, and have a $$ reserve for that. If they allow it to be transferred for free (or a small fee), the accounting life becomes 2xx and the reserve gets extended.

Question to anyone regarding FSD recognized vs deferred revenue:
As Tesla is now deferring revenue recognition pending delivery of FSD features, what happens in the case of a car that is traded in to Tesla, in which case FSD is removed and then sometimes freshly added for a second round of FSD revenue?

According to these accounting principles, can Tesla recognize the deferred revenue portion if the original FSD "installation" no longer exists? Obviously they hold the pending revenue and they don't return it to the original purchaser, so how would it be accounted for when the gate opens and all FSD revenue is deemed "recognizable" on the books? Or is it deemed recognizable as soon as they take possession of the traded-in car, and strip FSD from it, both the "delivered" and the "undelivered" features?

A similar question could be asked regarding vehicles that are totaled or junked end-of-life. There is obviously no remaining value, including salvage value, for software components that no one can use.

I have no agenda in asking this question; I just don't really understand the accounting standards involved. But it does seem that the answers to these questions could bear on the monetary claims of owners who never received the deferred feature i(ndependent of whether they feel misled regarding the original purchase decision).

Reactions: loquitur
Fromm an Accounting standpoint, there certainly is a cost to maintain software. Currently, TSLA assumes xx years for the life of FSD, and have a $$ reserve for that. If they allow it to be transferred for free (or a small fee), the accounting life becomes 2xx and the reserve gets extended.
So the “XX years for the life of FSD”, in your mind has that started yet?

It’s true we could look at it from Tesla’s standpoint, that the software is aging.

I choose to look at from my standpoint, depreciating an asset that hasn’t been delivered yet. I’m depreciating vapor. I don’t remember that in my accounting classes. The closest thing I remember is bad debt. So Tesla owes me. They should deliver, on this car or the next one. I should not need to look at my payment for the software as Tesla’s bad debt.

Perhaps they shouldn’t sell something that doesn’t exist. We don’t let other companies do that.

Question to anyone regarding FSD recognized vs deferred revenue:
As Tesla is now deferring revenue recognition pending delivery of FSD features, what happens in the case of a car that is traded in to Tesla, in which case FSD is removed and then sometimes freshly added for a second round of FSD revenue?

According to these accounting principles, can Tesla recognize the deferred revenue portion if the original FSD "installation" no longer exists? Obviously they hold the pending revenue and they don't return it to the original purchaser, so how would it be accounted for when the gate opens and all FSD revenue is deemed "recognizable" on the books? Or is it deemed recognizable as soon as they take possession of the traded-in car, and strip FSD from it, both the "delivered" and the "undelivered" features?

A similar question could be asked regarding vehicles that are totaled or junked end-of-life. There is obviously no remaining value, including salvage value, for software components that no one can use.

I have no agenda in asking this question; I just don't really understand the accounting standards involved. But it does seem that the answers to these questions could bear on the monetary claims of owners who never received the deferred feature i(ndependent of whether they feel misled regarding the original purchase decision).
Companies basically factor all of those scenarios in when they estimate useful life. Then they have to demonstrate to the auditors that their estimates are reasonable and based on actual experience (and not Elon's rosy outlook).

fwiw: they do the exact same for warranty expenses. When they sell a car, they have to reserve some $$ (from Revenue) per car to cover promised warranty work over the next four years.

For the record, I did not purchase FSD. $12K didn't seem worth it, but I am paying the monthly $200 to see how it works. It's not bad and it def makes my longer highway trips very pleasant. However, my M3 received the FSD Beta update yesterday and while my first drive around the neighborhood was great, today's trips left a lot to be desired. It's good in well defined rural and residential type roads, but driving around big cities like Newark NJ or NYC is not for the faint hearted
This is the first I heard that Tesla (allegedly) doctored a video for FSD and used said video on their website to promote FSD?

Is this really true?? Even I…have a hard time to believe that one

Then again…wasn’t there questions about a recent test and the software installed in the vehicle tested. Hmmmm
This is the first I heard that Tesla (allegedly) doctored a video for FSD and used said video on their website to promote FSD?

Is this really true?? Even I…have a hard time to believe that one

Then again…wasn’t there questions about a recent test and the software installed in the vehicle tested. Hmmmm
My question is how did it go from working perfectly in a video in 2016. To needing a safety score and messing up. If you see that video. All the turns were super smooth. Yes beta is getting better not what we saw in 2016. No way they didn’t know they had a lot more work to do. To boot, they got rid of Nvidia and didnt design anything for that platform even tho they sold it to those customers for two years. Now those customers can’t get what they paid for? Meanwhile the man can afford to blow 44 billion on Twitter. Then giving the finger to the folks that supported Tesla on faith when they were in production hell. This needs media attention.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So now the FSD license transfer has come to pass. (Since I'm not the type of person
to trade in a car for a new one every few years, owing to huge depreciation this way,
I'm not a candidate.) Monthly subscriptions make more sense now for most who
keep cars on such a short leash (or lease).

That said, I'm wondering about any recent developments in the class action suit
spearheaded by Joe Cotchett. I've only seen a December 2022 reference by Tesla
defense attorneys is that "failure (of aspirational long-term goals) is not fraud":

So now the FSD license transfer has come to pass. (Since I'm not the type of person
to trade in a car for a new one every few years, owing to huge depreciation this way,
I'm not a candidate.) Monthly subscriptions make more sense now for most who
keep cars on such a short leash (or lease).

defense attorneys is that "failure (of aspirational long-term goals) is not fraud":

Agree, subscription is the only thing that makes sense. It provides an opportunity to try FSD without spending $15k. If you don't like FSD, cancel it and wait until it makes more sense for you. The better it works, the more subscribers...

There are no recent developments. Tesla, in March, filed to force some of the plaintiffs to arbitration and have their case dismissed. The plaintiffs filed for a PI, Preliminary Injunction, in March, then they filed to speed that up, in April, which the court rejected in May. Nothing has happened since, and the court has not ruled on the PI yet. (Or Tesla's motion to compel arbitration.)

• Informative
Reactions: loquitur
There are no recent developments.....
But where is 2101Guy? Is he Ignoring us? 🤔 🤣 🤣

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 2.56.53 PM.png