Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BREAKING NEWS: My Tesla has not crashed due to AP error in __ weeks of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joe F

Disruption is hard.
Sep 19, 2016
Outside Philly
My Tesla Model S has not crashed in over 73 weeks of ownership due to using AutoPilot. Nor has it crashed due to Operator Error.

Despite what the media and financial reporting outlets would have the public believe, as currently designed, AutoPilot will not cause a Tesla to crash when used properly.

With the fixation on AutoPilot that the media has with reporting Tesla crashes, and with zero reports given to the vast number of other crashes and fires by other makes of cars and trucks daily, I wanted to report here that the technology can be used safely. I'm sure other TMC members feel that to be true as well. If so, please voice your opinions here.

While not a perfect system, AutoPilot is evolving and will improve with time.

72 here. No crashes, but I did early on strip the control arm on my rear wheels by using the wrong snow chains. Come to think of it, I'm surprised there was no national front page story from the Associated Press on it.
Well, I had some moisture in a taillight and they installed a new one. Fortunately, we did this all without any national news headlines... although there might have been some reporters lurking about.

(Also, no crashes with AP1 in almost three years.)

Last edited:
Well I did crash with EAP but I do take partial responsibility for it having momentarily taken my eyes off the road to look at the screen. EAP did not see merge traffic cones for lane closure which I did not notice ahead of time as there was a large vehicle in front of me. Luckily it was plastic cones and not a concrete barrier otherwise I wont be here posting.

Since then I am a bit more cautious when using EAP, and pay more attention and use it within the levels of its capabilities rather than letting it go and relaxing (this I think is the biggest learning curve out there for most new drivers) and this process takes a bit of time to gauge the comfort level overall.

That said I do think it has come a long way in the last year and it is in much better shape now than before and am quite happy to use it on longer commutes.

I still dont think its safe to use in a day to day city environment as its still too eager to accelerate and sort of late to slow down in traffic that tends to move in and out often and move from 40mph to zero and back quite often.

Reactions: dethman and Joe F
This is going to come as a huge shock to some, but it's not actually common to hit shiit with the front of an automobile, especially at higher speeds. This has been true since before power brakes, back when you had to adjust your drum brakes. "All brands of cars hit shiit!!" is true. "All drivers hit shiit!" is not true.

Tips:

If something is in front of you, and you are closing distance on it, use the brakes and/or steering wheel to avoid it.
If you are planning a long trip, be sure to look forward.
If all the cars are stopped ahead of you on a road, be prepared to stop. Stopped cars seldom move out of your way, even if you honk the horn. Yes, it's very rude of them.

My Tesla Model S has not crashed in over 73 weeks of ownership due to using AutoPilot. Nor has it crashed due to Operator Error.

Despite what the media and financial reporting outlets would have the public believe, as currently designed, AutoPilot will not cause a Tesla to crash when used properly.

With the fixation on AutoPilot that the media has with reporting Tesla crashes, and with zero reports given to the vast number of other crashes and fires by other makes of cars and trucks daily, I wanted to report here that the technology can be used safely. I'm sure other TMC members feel that to be true as well. If so, please voice your opinions here.

101 weeks, not even a close call. Did experience some truck lust in the first year that I manually overrode. Doesn't seem to have truck lust anymore. I've used it on many long trips, lots of local roads and even through some constructions zones.

Reactions: Joe F

Agreed, like with anything you have to follow the rules of how it is intended to be used. Failure to do that results in mishaps.

• Love
Reactions: dedicatedtek
Thanks folks, you validated what i said the other night, "you cant fix stupid"
I dont have AP, wish i did. But rode, videoed a ride down a very curvy road at 50, which the sign said. The car told him to touch the wheel twice. He did, we had a great experience. I play the video for folks all the time.
I like you, am sick of the bad press.