TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BREAKING NEWS: My Tesla has not crashed due to AP error in __ weeks of ownership

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Joe F, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

My Tesla Model S has not crashed in over 73 weeks of ownership due to using AutoPilot. Nor has it crashed due to Operator Error.

Despite what the media and financial reporting outlets would have the public believe, as currently designed, AutoPilot will not cause a Tesla to crash when used properly.

With the fixation on AutoPilot that the media has with reporting Tesla crashes, and with zero reports given to the vast number of other crashes and fires by other makes of cars and trucks daily, I wanted to report here that the technology can be used safely. I'm sure other TMC members feel that to be true as well. If so, please voice your opinions here.

While not a perfect system, AutoPilot is evolving and will improve with time.

• Like x 26
    • Love x 9
    • Funny x 5
  2. 75Shappyt

75Shappyt Member

I know my 2017 MS 75 is safe to drive, I have used EAP for a year now, My tesla is safe, EAP is safe, people are not safe, and I'm not sure you can make a car or EAP dumb proof

• Like x 1
  3. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

72 here. No crashes, but I did early on strip the control arm on my rear wheels by using the wrong snow chains. Come to think of it, I'm surprised there was no national front page story from the Associated Press on it.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  4. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

#4 mspohr, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Well, I had some moisture in a taillight and they installed a new one. Fortunately, we did this all without any national news headlines... although there might have been some reporters lurking about.

(Also, no crashes with AP1 in almost three years.)

5. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

#5 skitown, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    44 weeks of crash-free driving. And I thought I was the only one! :rolleyes:

• Funny x 4
  6. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

Well I did crash with EAP but I do take partial responsibility for it having momentarily taken my eyes off the road to look at the screen. EAP did not see merge traffic cones for lane closure which I did not notice ahead of time as there was a large vehicle in front of me. Luckily it was plastic cones and not a concrete barrier otherwise I wont be here posting.

Since then I am a bit more cautious when using EAP, and pay more attention and use it within the levels of its capabilities rather than letting it go and relaxing (this I think is the biggest learning curve out there for most new drivers) and this process takes a bit of time to gauge the comfort level overall.

That said I do think it has come a long way in the last year and it is in much better shape now than before and am quite happy to use it on longer commutes.

I still dont think its safe to use in a day to day city environment as its still too eager to accelerate and sort of late to slow down in traffic that tends to move in and out often and move from 40mph to zero and back quite often.

• Like x 2
  7. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Of course....

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

From watching various videos on YouTube with my son, I believe the appropriate phrase to use here is "bunch of n00bs". :)

AP crash-free for 135 weeks, all the way back to the initial AP software rollout on October 15, 2015.

Bruce.

• Like x 8
  9. croman

croman Active Member

I've survived all of releases of AP2. We should get medals or something.

• Funny x 6
  10. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

9 months and 30k later........AP has saved my a** at least a bakers dozen times. That is just the S.
    8k on the 3 now. I love AP, and use it in a safe manner. Use it like, well less than smart. You get less then smart outcomes.

• Love x 1
  11. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

This is going to come as a huge shock to some, but it's not actually common to hit shiit with the front of an automobile, especially at higher speeds. This has been true since before power brakes, back when you had to adjust your drum brakes. "All brands of cars hit shiit!!" is true. "All drivers hit shiit!" is not true.

Tips:

If something is in front of you, and you are closing distance on it, use the brakes and/or steering wheel to avoid it.
    If you are planning a long trip, be sure to look forward.
    If all the cars are stopped ahead of you on a road, be prepared to stop. Stopped cars seldom move out of your way, even if you honk the horn. Yes, it's very rude of them.

• Funny x 9
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Over 70,000 miles and no crashes, knock on wood.

13. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

110 weeks. A lot of local roads. I hit an empty rolling McDonald’s cup once but I saw it coming.

• Funny x 3
  14. hacer

hacer Member

101 weeks, not even a close call. Did experience some truck lust in the first year that I manually overrode. Doesn't seem to have truck lust anymore. I've used it on many long trips, lots of local roads and even through some constructions zones.

• Like x 1
  15. HookBill

HookBill Member

Did you kill it? :p

• Funny x 3
  16. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

125 weeks .... Quit counting the times AP saved my hide. There’s probably times AP saved me that I’m not even aware of to be honest. Our percentage of miles of AP active is extremely high. It’s a keeper.

• Like x 1
  17. Cynomin

Cynomin New Member

Agreed, like with anything you have to follow the rules of how it is intended to be used. Failure to do that results in mishaps.

• Love x 1
  18. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Thanks folks, you validated what i said the other night, "you cant fix stupid"
    I dont have AP, wish i did. But rode, videoed a ride down a very curvy road at 50, which the sign said. The car told him to touch the wheel twice. He did, we had a great experience. I play the video for folks all the time.
    I like you, am sick of the bad press.

• Like x 2
  19. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

My Tesla has saved my life many times with autopilot. I've been "distracted" so many times when all of the sudden I feel the car automatically braking when I wouldn't have.

It's like surveys rating customer service. Everyone complains, no body ever reports situation normal.

• Like x 2
  20. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

You were in the initial 1000 club?