Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BREAKING NEWS: My Tesla has not crashed due to AP error in __ weeks of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These last two videos show how you can not protect against STUPID! No matter how good the design people still find a way to be stupid.

At least I got all wheel drive on the Model S 75D and we are waiting for the AWD Model 3 so we can configure. And by not being STUPID we may even be able to avoid accidents, as long as we can avoid the other STUPID drivers on the road.

135 weeks or so, ever since initial rollout of AP1, no accidents in roughly 30K miles. Some near-misses, though, under the well-known conditions when AP is known not to function well, mainly when either a vehicle cuts into the lane ahead very close, or a vehicle ahead changes lanes and someone ahead of that is dead stopped. Oh, and a few cases of the car wanting to take an exit, especially way back in the early days, as well as once recently. It is entirely possible that AP could have saved my butt a time or two under conditions that might not be prudent to disclose in a public forum, if I had not been paying full attention (if you catch my drift...).

Reactions: Joe F
I ordered my model S the day they announced AP2 was coming out near the end of 2016. Started driving the car with no AP, and then going through and used every single beta version of AP2 release. I use AP all the time. Zero incidents/accidents.

AP actually made me a calmer/safer driver. When I hit traffic, which is almost all the time in NY, I simply pick a lane and let the car drive. Without AP, I would have cutting in and out and try to sneak pass here and there. Way more dangerous.

AP actually made me a calmer/safer driver. When I hit traffic, which is almost all the time in NY, I simply pick a lane and let the car drive. Without AP, I would have cutting in and out and try to sneak pass here and there. Way more dangerous.

THIS!!!!! Exactly this! I drive 3 hrs round trip each weekend down to my boat and I used to try to maximize boat time by minimizing drive time by trying to pass all the time and really stressing myself out. Now I just turn Otto on and relax and my weekends and driving have improved a bunch.

Agreed! I am retired and do not routinely drive in rush hour traffic. But when I need to do so now, I do the same -- usually pick a lane (not the right lane) and let the AP (TACC, mostly) do the constant vigilance necessary to maintain proper speed and position. Much less stressful than it would be otherwise. In fact, I recently volunteered to do a driving task for a non-profit I belong to, which involves driving in Boston area rush-hour traffic, on one of the most notorious stretches of highway, about 90 minutes each way. My first run, last week, was essentially painless because of AP.

I sleep with one eye open.... I swear to god I heard a bing bing in my sleep and went out to my garage and found charging cable disconnected with a butcher knife next to the car. Frickin' Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Joe F