Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BREAKING NEWS: My Tesla has not crashed due to AP error in __ weeks of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
99,056 miles and no accidents. Well, no AP accidents. I bought it from a guy who did have an accident, he wasn't using ap! How is it that the world went around when we didn't have autopilot? Like everybody else here, I cannot count the number of times AP has been faster than me. What a wonderful, wonderful, automobile! And we haven't even mentioned the pollution-free, quiet, not quite perfect, drive!

This is going to come as a huge shock to some, but it's not actually common to hit shiit with the front of an automobile, especially at higher speeds. This has been true since before power brakes, back when you had to adjust your drum brakes. "All brands of cars hit shiit!!" is true. "All drivers hit shiit!" is not true.

Tips:

If something is in front of you, and you are closing distance on it, use the brakes and/or steering wheel to avoid it.
If you are planning a long trip, be sure to look forward.
If all the cars are stopped ahead of you on a road, be prepared to stop. Stopped cars seldom move out of your way, even if you honk the horn. Yes, it's very rude of them.
Most educational post ever! :D :p

Maybe this should be in Drivers' Handbooks? At least for those in the news recently.....

Reactions: dedicatedtek
At just about 60 weeks here with my EAP and (missing FSD) with no accidents. But that's because I overtook autopilot on at least 3 occasions where it almost got me into embarrassing and or serious accidents.

Near accidents I've avoided while using EAP:
- Drifted into the lane to my left on the highway that was occupied by another car when it couldn't manage the turn
- EAP wanted to accelerate into the back of a pickup truck at a dead stop at a red light because (i have to assume since tesla wont give owners their own logs) because it was on a lift kit.
- Recently it abandoned 2 different lane changes during a road trip at 75 MPH so aggressively that the car almost lost control on the highway until i was able to force AP to disengage via the steering wheel.

And yea, I was alert and hands on wheel for all these, as well as submitted bug reports. SO I'm in the no accident club to but that doesn't mean EAP lives up to it's marketing.

Reactions: croman
And yea, I was alert and hands on wheel for all these, as well as submitted bug reports. SO I'm in the no accident club to but that doesn't mean EAP lives up to it's marketing.
Which reinforces the notion that, used as intended, with an attentive driver, AP blips need not cause one to crash and burn, despite the mass hysteria the press appears to be hell bent on promulgating.

You also might want to note what firmware level this happened with, as well as any extraneous conditions we all know affect AP. We all here know it has gone through some tough times. That was then, this is now. However, I think the general consensus here is it's gotten much better in a relatively short time given the several changes of direction development has taken, and appears to be on the right track.

Reactions: skitown
Which reinforces the notion that, used as intended, with an attentive driver, AP blips need not cause one to crash and burn, despite the mass hysteria the press appears to be hell bent on promulgating.

You also might want to note what firmware level this happened with, as well as any extraneous conditions we all know affect AP. We all here know it has gone through some tough times. That was then, this is now. However, I think the general consensus here is it's gotten much better in a relatively short time given the several changes of direction development has taken, and appears to be on the right track.

I don't consider unsafe and life risking incidents from using EAP as intended by the manufacturer 'blips' but I respect your right to.

Reactions: croman
I don't consider unsafe and life risking incidents from using EAP as intended by the manufacturer 'blips' but I respect your right to.
One risks one's life any time they get behind the wheel, AP enabled vehicle or not. Life is risky. AP can make it less risky in many situations, as others have indicated many times on TMC. But for now, it comes with the warnings to be alert at all times, which hopefully we all do.

Reactions: skitown
Four hospitalized after chain-reaction crash - By Fran Gonzalez
Dodge truck plows into line of cars at a stoplight, no AP involved. This happened near my house at a temporary traffic light at a construction site on a bridge with great visibility. I have been over that bridge with AP1 but started disengaging when the light and cones appeared. Now where’s NTSB when you need them?

I bought my CPO 2015 P85DL last July (so almost a year). I picked the car up in DC and was given a 15 minute lesson in the pilot seat. Autopilot was explained and I was told that its definitely NOT FSD so be aware at all times. Driving home to Richmond from DC on I95 which is usually really bad bumper to bumper traffic that i absolutely HATE driving in, i flicked old Otto ON and spent a nice relaxing journey home. I use my AP on my daily commute of about 18 miles. I tend to use it more on highways but occasionally in stop and go traffic in town as well.

I bought my CPO 2015 P85DL last July (so almost a year). I picked the car up in DC and was given a 15 minute lesson in the pilot seat. Autopilot was explained and I was told that its definitely NOT FSD so be aware at all times. Driving home to Richmond from DC on I95 which is usually really bad bumper to bumper traffic that i absolutely HATE driving in, i flicked old Otto ON and spent a nice relaxing journey home. I use my AP on my daily commute of about 18 miles. I tend to use it more on highways but occasionally in stop and go traffic in town as well.
"Otto" pilot makes driving in stop and go traffic much less stressful.
Electric vehicles reduce stress for drivers, says new brain monitoring study

In the article:

ARGGGG, This makes me so angry! If that idiot was not going x times over the speed limit and it was a genuine accident then things may be diffrent. Tesla is not a magic bullet that will solve all accidents. If your going to be a idiot in any car you have the ability to kill yourself and others....

Teens killed in Fort Lauderdale crash were about to graduate from Pine Crest

More info - witness thinks it was 50-60 mph. So that's twice the speed limit and hitting a barrier at some kind of offset angle.

Death via suicide.

Reactions: Icey