Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
likely another Brexsh1t nail in the coffin of the UK automotive sector

see also backgrounder

(unless of course they can crowbar an even bigger subsidy out of the UK taxpayer by the election-desperate Cons)

These Brexsh1t success stories just keep flooding in

“…there will be no downside to Brexit at all, and considerable upsides”
When David Davis, the Brexit secretary, stood in the House of Commons on 10 October 2016 and uttered those words it was pure unadulterated hubris, a belief that Britain was so special it would be able to leave the EU and there would be no downsides “at all”. Not a single one.

Three months later and still under the influence, he told his colleague Anna Soubry that he was going to negotiate “a comprehensive free trade agreement and a comprehensive customs agreement that will deliver the exact same benefits as we have”. It’s hard to know what – or indeed if – he was thinking at the time

And the score has just reached:
- 1,000 downsides
- 23 upsides (though I'd read them carefully before concluding they are all really upsides)

It is not often I like O'Leary but he does tell it straight

O’Leary said the UK’s longer term relationship with its closest trading partner depended “on what the British establishment or future UK governments do”. However, he said he believed that the UK would “in the next 10 to 15 years” strike a “trade deal with Europe, similar to Norway or Switzerland”.

“I think they will pay into a European budget, I think they will have no choice,”..... O’Leary described the British labour market as “broken”, saying that leaving the EU had forced Ryanair to hire European and non-European workers on what he called “ludicrously” expensive visas, costing £3,000 each.

“The problem we find dealing with the [UK] government is there’s an obsession in most departments to find excuses that show where Brexit benefits,” O’Leary said. “Duty free is back on flights to and from Europe, that’s about the only benefit.”

Reactions: JupiterMan
It is not often I like O'Leary but he does tell it straight

O’Leary said the UK’s longer term relationship with its closest trading partner depended “on what the British establishment or future UK governments do”. However, he said he believed that the UK would “in the next 10 to 15 years” strike a “trade deal with Europe, similar to Norway or Switzerland”.

“I think they will pay into a European budget, I think they will have no choice,”..... O’Leary described the British labour market as “broken”, saying that leaving the EU had forced Ryanair to hire European and non-European workers on what he called “ludicrously” expensive visas, costing £3,000 each.

“The problem we find dealing with the [UK] government is there’s an obsession in most departments to find excuses that show where Brexit benefits,” O’Leary said. “Duty free is back on flights to and from Europe, that’s about the only benefit.”

reminds me of that saying "its the economy, stupid". Overtime the UK political course will inevitably trend back from the current nonsense, towards improving the economy.

And at that point, the only game in town is closer alignment with EU. Its just a question of how close, and how soon.

Think O'Leary will be proved right on this.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Overtime the UK political course will inevitably trend back from the current nonsense, towards improving the economy.
I'm not so sure. There is an undercurrent of "lets burn everything to the ground" feeling running in both UK & US politics. We may be aghast at the idea of US defaulting, for eg., but a certain section of the population absolutely loves it. They control one of the major parties. In UK the party controls the government, in US the party has effective veto power.

I'm not so sure. There is an undercurrent of "lets burn everything to the ground" feeling running in both UK & US politics. We may be aghast at the idea of US defaulting, for eg., but a certain section of the population absolutely loves it. They control one of the major parties. In UK the party controls the government, in US the party has effective veto power.
there's likely a tipping point when people switch from ideology back to reality.

Its very easy to be ideological about things that have not been implemented yet and are denied by your echo chamber, such as during the referendum campaign in 2016. But now Brexit is here its increasingly difficult to swim against that tide, especially when it hurts your pocket or your prospects. Although diehards will remain.

Unless there is demonstrably something big that happens that is clearly a benefit of brexit (but we're still waiting for that of course) things will, in my view, revert over time.

And just as brexiters (or UKIP as they were) had an easy time blaming everything on EU membership since the 1970's it will be very easy for blame to be shifted to Brexit hereon in (whether warranted or not). Brexit will increasingly become "the establishment" that many will fight against.

Useful

Delusional

Useful

Delusional

Tories won't be offering single market anytime soon. Rishi will be sure to tell voters to vote tory to avoid Lib Dem and SNP pulling Labour strings. Lib Dems would only form a joint government if there was a referendum etc. Labour majority is still the most likely at this stage.

And just as brexiters (or UKIP as they were) had an easy time blaming everything on EU membership since the 1970's it will be very easy for blame to be shifted to Brexit hereon in (whether warranted or not). Brexit will increasingly become "the establishment" that many will fight against.
Funny you say that ... the fascist government in India blames everything on Mughuls (who ruled 300 years back) or the first PM - Nehru who died 60 years back. Fascists just need a scape goat, doesn't have to make sense. Sometimes the fascists have to be thoroughly and utterly defeated before they wake up to reality.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Although I'm an "American" who is only partly Scots-Irish-English via DNA (with a personal proclivity
for single-malt whisky [oops, sans 'e' in whisky, gave that away]), the absolutely most amazing,
jaw-dropping, high-speed "what is the UK?" explainer video remains:

by CGP Grey. It is nonpareil in its explanatory power of the British Isles and beyond, clocking
in at only 5 minutes, less time than for most any FSDb video, in either right- or left-hand drive form.

Interesting to watch the manoeuvring

Reactions: Buckminster
Interesting to watch the manoeuvring

It was difficult to believe that Labour wouldn't get a majority a year ago. Even with Tories losing out in the local elections, it somehow seems possible for Libs, Labour and Tories to be on equal terms now if Libs steal more from Labour on Brexit. Lib Dem manifesto could be - we will form a coalition only if a referendum is offered. Simple but effective.

It was difficult to believe that Labour wouldn't get a majority a year ago. Even with Tories losing out in the local elections, it somehow seems possible for Libs, Labour and Tories to be on equal terms now if Libs steal more from Labour on Brexit. Lib Dem manifesto could be - we will form a coalition only if a referendum is offered. Simple but effective.
Libs say electoral reform #1 priority
Labour says negat to electoral reform
SNP wild card given unfolding events

Reactions: Buckminster
As predicted before the Brexshit referendum ........

Oh dear, Brexshit really has landed, exactly as predicted ......... I can't see any reason why the EU might want to do any renegotiating. So my guess is the UK will try to show a bit of leg on th edefence front and wiffle about unity and Ukraine and stuff.

These may interest folk re OEM manouevres and their costs. (and the consequences of Brexshit) ..... and of course it remains to be seen whether £500m will be enough to pull JLR's battery plant to the site near Bristol/Somerset that Tesla rejected

oh, and this is as always helpful

.... remember "FCUK Brexsh1t and REJOIN"

Last edited: