Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been asked to buy/obtain a few handheld EU flags. Any recommendations? Given reason "I want to be patriotic but show I'm not a Brexit idiot". I wondered about EU flags with Union flag within.
Some links that may help, the first one is definitely for a good cause

this one may be commercial, or may be for-cause, I'm not sure (actually, looking closer, it is for-cause)

and if you look through the list of signatory organisations I'm sure you'll find a for-cause shop with something that ticks your boxes

If you are not too fussed about upsetting Brexity types, things like "FCUK Brexit" should cause a few seizures out there. As they say, "every little helps". Precisely as these folk know,

Last edited:
Some links that may help, the first one is definitely for a good cause

this one may be commercial, or may be for-cause, I'm not sure (actually, looking closer, it is for-cause)

and if you look through the list of signatory organisations I'm sure you'll find a for-cause shop with something that ticks your boxes

If you are not too fussed about upsetting Brexity types, things like "FCUK Brexit" should cause a few seizures out there. As they say, "every little helps". Precisely as these folk know,

Thanks. The person in question would prefer something polite but the last night of the proms was inspiring for them. My guess is that many of the silent majority have been encouraged by that simple display at the proms. I can imagine a lot more guerrilla use of EU symbols/Ode To Joy.

After many years of listening to remainers ...they all exhibit the same recurring trait...that is to grab any straw available (especially if it’s been printed in The Guardian)...joining any EU institution doesn’t put the country on a path to rejoining...in fact that was one of the attractions of Brexit..to be able to pick and choose which European organizations it wants...it was never about isolation

After many years of listening to remainers ...they all exhibit the same recurring trait...that is to grab any straw available (especially if it’s been printed in The Guardian)...joining any EU institution doesn’t put the country on a path to rejoining...in fact that was one of the attractions of Brexit..to be able to pick and choose which European organizations it wants...it was never about isolation
Remain, rejoin, align. Different things.

Too late to remain, we left.

Rejoin has many obstacles and it needs agreement between the EU, EU members & UK. I see that as a long term aim.

Any movement towards alignment is better than moving away. In my opinion that moves us closer to rejoining than the opposite course of UK changing standards (or merely keeping old EU ones & not improving/aligning to EU ones. Water standards for example). It also makes it easier to rejoin in future and should bring higher quality of life to GB residents in the short term.

The people of the UK are very varied, it doesn't show up in our Media, Government or Parliamentary makeup as we have First Past The Post, a tiny change in sentiment affecting a small number of voters in marginal constituencies can give the main party huge majorities & power. The media is largely controlled by foreign/non-resident extremists.

According to most polls of voting intentions, a different government controlled by a different political party with a strong majority is expected. Anything could happen, but for me, the future is likely to be a move towards the EU, joining more institutions, aligning standards. If we get to rejoin, great, but as long as we are journeying the right way, it benefits UK/GB people.

People voted for Brexit for a number of reasons, these are now less effective for a variety of reasons than they were & will (in my opinion) diminish further.

Over time, the UK may be able to prove it has changed sentiment, then if the EU is willing, rejoining might be possible. Until then Northern Ireland will be largely aligned to the EU providing an example and a magnet for further alignment for GB.

Until I'm aware of a better term, I'll consider myself a Braligner hoping to one day be a Brijoiner.

UK/EU might end up as VERY pro-EU after our experiences. Prodigal Son etc

Reactions: petit_bateau
Remain, rejoin, align. Different things.

Too late to remain, we left.

Rejoin has many obstacles and it needs agreement between the EU, EU members & UK. I see that as a long term aim.

Any movement towards alignment is better than moving away. In my opinion that moves us closer to rejoining than the opposite course of UK changing standards (or merely keeping old EU ones & not improving/aligning to EU ones. Water standards for example). It also makes it easier to rejoin in future and should bring higher quality of life to GB residents in the short term.

The people of the UK are very varied, it doesn't show up in our Media, Government or Parliamentary makeup as we have First Past The Post, a tiny change in sentiment affecting a small number of voters in marginal constituencies can give the main party huge majorities & power. The media is largely controlled by foreign/non-resident extremists.

According to most polls of voting intentions, a different government controlled by a different political party with a strong majority is expected. Anything could happen, but for me, the future is likely to be a move towards the EU, joining more institutions, aligning standards. If we get to rejoin, great, but as long as we are journeying the right way, it benefits UK/GB people.

People voted for Brexit for a number of reasons, these are now less effective for a variety of reasons than they were & will (in my opinion) diminish further.

Over time, the UK may be able to prove it has changed sentiment, then if the EU is willing, rejoining might be possible. Until then Northern Ireland will be largely aligned to the EU providing an example and a magnet for further alignment for GB.

Until I'm aware of a better term, I'll consider myself a Braligner hoping to one day be a Brijoiner.

UK/EU might end up as VERY pro-EU after our experiences. Prodigal Son etc
I agree with all the steps but I think there is a first step - diverge. We have diverged a little and that might be enough but my instinct is that we need to diverge a little more and probably will. Otherwise the Brexit community won't accept that we tried to go it alone.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I disagree, I think pro-Brexit support has collapsed & will wither more. The Brexit voters had many reasons, some pure protest unconnected with Brexit issues, many mutually exclusive, many unpleasant & egged on in facebook adverts/groups (WHO was paying?). Leave just got a win.

Once pro-EU is beyond 65% (excluding non-voters/don't knows), there will be a mandate.

If we diverge, I think that will stiffen pro-EU sentiment within UK, but it's just one opinion.

I'm more concerned that the EU has enough to worry about & UK isn't one of the top issues or EU prefers not to have a divisive member. I'd prefer to make the EU's life easier by being a good, aligned neighbour & build up some brownie points.

I have no control, no influence, I just have to be flexible, react to what happens & plan accordingly. Whether that's looking at moving to Ireland (unlikely), relocating to another country I have links to (outside EU) or just prepping for port chaos & buying veg from the allotment growers depends on circumstances.

I'm getting closer to retirement, I have $TSLA that might well lead to financial independence, so am luckier than most. Ideally I'd be tax-resident in UK (too hard to change everything now) but travel widely worldwide but I'd love to drive our Tesla all around (rest of) Europe without 90/180 day rule.

"The table shows the result of the last six polls (after those who said ‘Don’t Know’ etc. have been excluded) irrespective of how the question was worded. ‘In EU’ represents the proportion whose answer indicated a wish for the UK to be in the EU. ‘Out EU’ those whose response indicated a preference for being out of the EU. However, it should be borne in mind that the wording of the question can make a difference to the pattern of response. In particular, people appear to be a little less likely to say they would vote to (re-)join the EU than they are to say that they would vote Remain. The table thus shows for each poll a summary of the question that was asked.

PollsterFieldwork DatesQuestion TypeIn EUOut EU
Poll of Polls--5842
Deltapoll24-25.8.23Rejoin/Stay Out5743
Omnisis/WeThink31.8-1.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out6139
Kantar31.8-4.9.23Join/Stay Out5545
Deltapoll1-4.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out5545
Omnisis/WeThink7-8.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out6040
Omnisis/WeThink14-15.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out6238
"

I think the future lies with compromise...a little bit of Europe and a little bit of going it alone...then everyone is happy.
I wouldn't be happy, more EU the better.

Just as Northern Ireland has direct rule from Westminster, due to failed politics, I wouldn't be against direct rule for UK from Brussels. It couldn't get any worse, could it?

Paddy Ashdown seemed to do ok presiding over Bosnia, perhaps we could get a nice honest Scandinavian to do a similar job?

Cnut did ok as I recall.
/s

I wouldn't be happy, more EU the better.

Just as Northern Ireland has direct rule from Westminster, due to failed politics, I wouldn't be against direct rule for UK from Brussels. It couldn't get any worse, could it?

Paddy Ashdown seemed to do ok presiding over Bosnia, perhaps we could get a nice honest Scandinavian to do a similar job?

Cnut did ok as I recall.
/s
Another anti-democratic remainer🤣😂😅

I disagree, I think pro-Brexit support has collapsed & will wither more. The Brexit voters had many reasons, some pure protest unconnected with Brexit issues, many mutually exclusive, many unpleasant & egged on in facebook adverts/groups (WHO was paying?). Leave just got a win.

Once pro-EU is beyond 65% (excluding non-voters/don't knows), there will be a mandate.

If we diverge, I think that will stiffen pro-EU sentiment within UK, but it's just one opinion.

I'm more concerned that the EU has enough to worry about & UK isn't one of the top issues or EU prefers not to have a divisive member. I'd prefer to make the EU's life easier by being a good, aligned neighbour & build up some brownie points.

I have no control, no influence, I just have to be flexible, react to what happens & plan accordingly. Whether that's looking at moving to Ireland (unlikely), relocating to another country I have links to (outside EU) or just prepping for port chaos & buying veg from the allotment growers depends on circumstances.

I'm getting closer to retirement, I have $TSLA that might well lead to financial independence, so am luckier than most. Ideally I'd be tax-resident in UK (too hard to change everything now) but travel widely worldwide but I'd love to drive our Tesla all around (rest of) Europe without 90/180 day rule.

"The table shows the result of the last six polls (after those who said ‘Don’t Know’ etc. have been excluded) irrespective of how the question was worded. ‘In EU’ represents the proportion whose answer indicated a wish for the UK to be in the EU. ‘Out EU’ those whose response indicated a preference for being out of the EU. However, it should be borne in mind that the wording of the question can make a difference to the pattern of response. In particular, people appear to be a little less likely to say they would vote to (re-)join the EU than they are to say that they would vote Remain. The table thus shows for each poll a summary of the question that was asked.

Poll of Polls--5842
PollsterFieldwork DatesQuestion TypeIn EUOut EU
Deltapoll24-25.8.23Rejoin/Stay Out5743
Omnisis/WeThink31.8-1.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out6139
Kantar31.8-4.9.23Join/Stay Out5545
Deltapoll1-4.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out5545
Omnisis/WeThink7-8.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out6040
Omnisis/WeThink14-15.9.23Rejoin/Stay Out6238
"
Half the year on the continent sounds like a plan to me especially if combined with one or two non EU trips. Hardly worth keeping a UK pad otherwise. Golden VISAs seem easy enough.

EU membership should be easy if:
  1. Referendum stating Euro etc with 65% support
  2. Conservatives and Labour onboard across two parliaments
Given time...

Half the year on the continent sounds like a plan to me especially if combined with one or two non EU trips. Hardly worth keeping a UK pad otherwise. Golden VISAs seem easy enough.

Given time...
Good plan...also assuming we get an invite...don’t be like the Scot Nats...we will definitely get invited because a retired member of the EU council whispered it in my ear...

Given time...
Residency/Visa probably means tax residency & hard to swap the UK tax wrappers for equivalents in the next country. Can't do with ISA (AFAIK), probably do-able with some pensions, but then hassle over UK company & state pensions (uplift?). Plus medical, legal, inheritance....

Yep, time is key. The EU are almost certainly looking for pro-EU stability from the UK. Reliability and consistency is key.

UK only has to agree to "work towards adoption of Euro" according to some. I don't know for sure. I don't care. I've stopped judging wealth by £, $ or €. I've gone back to pre-FIAT/currency/inflation days - counting wealth in cattle or TSLA shares.

Youngsters should consider moving to EU - perhaps via University course/Ireland/family links. It's up to them though, risks abound with any decision in life.

I quite like first past the post...and I like our parliamentary system right up until we have to get it approved by a king...how ridiculous is that
UK doesn't have many checks on dictatorial powers now. Charles may be the last one. As a meritocratic person myself, this is an odd position for me. I think it's only rank incompetence that has saved us so far.

Electoral commission no longer independent
EU justice processes gone
UK Supreme court /judiciary could be nobbled (happened in many other places). Talk of "lefty lawyers", preventing judicial inquiries etc. Court system overloaded & underfunded
BBC taken over by Gov party at Chair level
Channel 4 threatened with removal of (non-existent) funding

First past the post disenfranchises most of the population. If the other parties have any sense, they will replace it when they get the chance.

This is off-topic to a degree, except Brexit affects everything. Food, justice, rights, travel, work, family life, migration, retirement, sewage, farming, communicable diseases for livestock, economy, exports, data, tax, imports, arrest warrants, extradition, politics and many more.