Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UK doesn't have many checks on dictatorial powers now. Charles may be the last one. As a meritocratic person myself, this is an odd position for me. I think it's only rank incompetence that has saved us so far.

Electoral commission no longer independent
EU justice processes gone
UK Supreme court /judiciary could be nobbled (happened in many other places). Talk of "lefty lawyers", preventing judicial inquiries etc. Court system overloaded & underfunded
BBC taken over by Gov party at Chair level
Channel 4 threatened with removal of (non-existent) funding

First past the post disenfranchises most of the population. If the other parties have any sense, they will replace it when they get the chance.

This is off-topic to a degree, except Brexit affects everything. Food, justice, rights, travel, work, family life, migration, retirement, sewage, farming, communicable diseases for livestock, economy, exports, data, tax, imports, arrest warrants, extradition, politics and many more.
The royals are the cause of our problems not the solution....but all countries at all times it’s easy to read off a list of litanies ...only hindsight let’s you sort out the golden ages...despite that they were probably very difficult to live through

I quite like first past the post...and I like our parliamentary system right up until we have to get it approved by a king...how ridiculous is that
First past the post entrenches the establishment by forcing voters to choose the least bad option they think can win.
Proportional representation can lead to instability.
I prefer transferable voting.

God save the queenking, 'cause tourists are money.
I can back republicanism, as long as people don't insist on a different kind of pointless, time- and resource-wasting head of state.

I agree with all the steps but I think there is a first step - diverge. We have diverged a little and that might be enough but my instinct is that we need to diverge a little more and probably will. Otherwise the Brexit community won't accept that we tried to go it alone.
Rejoiners don't give a monkey's posterior what Brexiters choose to believe. As far as Rejoiners are concerned, Brexiters are the problem, not the solution.

Rejoiners think that Time, and Chaos and a little bit of Impovershiment will diminish Brexiter influence and numbers to the point of irrelevance.

The voting trends tend to suggest Rejoiners are on to something.

Reportage on the report suggests it's not official and would need treaty rewrites or negotiations of some kind and has other implications. Ie hope/unofficial proposals

Am on phone so hard to check out details.
The guardian article I shared today suggested 4 eu tiers of membership. They will probably design one to be close to what uk wants with an upgrade path.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Cameroon made up to Foreign Sec and almost certainly Lordy. Brexit keeps on giving the greatest gossip we ever had.

Dave will be sitting next to Blair sorting out Hamas as Blair has got his new position also. You couldn’t make this up.

Sunak could well have sunk Braverman and Boris returns in one go by appointing Dave. High risk roll of the dice but it gives him a chance. What will the public make of DC?

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Cameroon made up to Foreign Sec and almost certainly Lordy. Brexit keeps on giving the greatest gossip we ever had.

Dave will be sitting next to Blair sorting out Hamas as Blair has got his new position also. You couldn’t make this up.

Sunak could well have sunk Braverman and Boris returns in one go by appointing Dave. High risk roll of the dice but it gives him a chance. What will the public make of DC?
I was surprised that Rishi did not make the push for the center ground earlier on day one of his leadership. I sense its too late now for the next election, public opinion of Cameron appears not good, however any perception of a move from the far right position possibly a wise one.

In the meantime the battle to decide who the Tory party actually are continues.

Would be positive for the country if we now see some of those "tory" extremists in the membership and in parliament defect to UKIP/Farage or whoever, leaving a more centrist party. I doubt this will happen short term, but it would be nice to see, with the possibility of better relations with our neighbors higher up on their agenda, based on the realities of the brexit position we find ourselves in, rather than intentional divide, conflict and anti European rhetoric of the last 7 years.

I was surprised that Rishi did not make the push for the center ground earlier on day one of his leadership. I sense its too late now for the next election, public opinion of Cameron appears not good, however any perception of a move from the far right position possibly a wise one.

In the meantime the battle to decide who the Tory party actually are continues.

Would be positive for the country if we now see some of those "tory" extremists in the membership and in parliament defect to UKIP/Farage or whoever, leaving a more centrist party. I doubt this will happen short term, but it would be nice to see, with the possibility of better relations with our neighbors higher up on their agenda, based on the realities of the brexit position we find ourselves in, rather than intentional divide, conflict and anti European rhetoric of the last 7 years.
The Tory party isn't what it once was and the change was remarkable, except few remarked at the time. Extreme memberships of parties across the world elect extreme leaders. First past the post, distorted media and tribalism doesn't help.

The large majority (moderates) are left without a home until someone recaptures the centre (in many cases, not all).

21 Tory MPs were sacked (whip withdrawn) by Boris J for not being pro Brexit enough. Barely a whisper. Entryist UKIPers joined as MPs (Eustace etc), probably many UKIP joined as party members who have a big effect due to lower party membership than in the past and being passionate about Brexit, causing problems for moderate people to become Tory candidates. Selection favours the extremes.

I think the Tories are out but not down. Next election should see Labour win. Unknown after that. Too many variables.

think the Tories are out but not down. Next election should see Labour win. Unknown after that. Too many variables.
it will be interesting to see the direction of travel of the Tories after losing the next election.

For reasons you have explained, the membership is seemingly filled to the rafters with extremists / Brexiters, and they ultimately choose the next leader.

You can see them clinging to their extreme views and voting for Braverman or similar to "deliver the Brexit we voted for" (!) or similar nonsense after Rishi inevitably stands down and moves to America.

I would not be surprised to see two election defeats for the Tories until they can face electing a moderate and move back to the middle ground, unless of course their paymasters in the media too see the writing on the wall and push that narrative themselves sooner.

I don't think a US state can sign a trade pact with a foreign country.
Guess the terminology of trade *pact* is different from a trade *deal* ?

there are no tariff deals or such here, looking at this it is just a memorandum of understanding to try and reduce other barriers to trade. Apparently we've signed similar with 7 other states previously. who knew?

Reactions: Buckminster
Guess the terminology of trade *pact* is different from a trade *deal* ?

there are no tariff deals or such here, looking at this it is just a memorandum of understanding to try and reduce other barriers to trade. Apparently we've signed similar with 7 other states previously. who knew?
Each deal/pact is announced on Tory-friendly media. Drip drip that makes some people still believe in Unicorns

Reactions: JupiterMan