Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: Andy O
Gosh, another Brexshit disaster that nobody saw coming, well not for more than about 8 years or more

The current Gov know they are on the way out, hence the switch to support fossil fuels for some more money, directorships etc

Plus some nonsense infighting, Mad Nads et al.

Everything else is left to fall apart. All I want is competence and alignment to our big market nearby. First steps need to be taken.

Medium term, might need first past the post to be changed though, maybe just electoral alliances (unofficial might do).

Reactions: JupiterMan
FT paywall
Rejoining the EU remains a very distant dream
Even returning to the single market or customs union is a hard argument for an electorate queasy about reopening divisions
Rejoining the single market or customs union is outside the mainstream agenda. As for full membership, even dedicated pro-Europeans like Tony Blair see this as generations away.
I think it could be only 10-15 years. The important thing is that brexiteers need to believe that brexit has been embraced. Demographics will ensure that a return is likely when a referendum happens. A full clean return in 10-15 years is also more likely if we don't try going down the single market route as a precursor.

FT paywall
Rejoining the EU remains a very distant dream

I think it could be only 10-15 years. The important thing is that brexiteers need to believe that brexit has been embraced. Demographics will ensure that a return is likely when a referendum happens. A full clean return in 10-15 years is also more likely if we don't try going down the single market route as a precursor.
GB/UK just needs to align with EU (as a first step). Otherwise chaos & harm (economic, environmental, food quality, importing livestock diseases etc).

You don't think that will kickoff all the arguments. Stops all other progress plus delays proper return.
have the arguments ever stopped?!

partial alignment could however begin on the quiet without any initial fanfare to avoid major flare ups, but I doubt anything will happen proper until after the next election.

It will interesting to see how honest Labour/Starmer are about the situation and the countries direction of travel.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
You don't think that will kickoff all the arguments. Stops all other progress plus delays proper return.
The main arguments I see on comments from Brexiteers seem to revolve around

1) Boats
2) Luxury hotels being used for (1)
3) All politicians are corrupt/same
4) "We won"
5) Tory party leadership seems a bit... non-English for them
6) Some Brexit nonsense blamed on remainers

I think enough of them have cottoned onto what's really happened, filthy water and corruption at least.

I think EU-immigration isn't a big concern now that Wetherspoons & Toby Carveries are short staffed.

There will be arguments, but fewer of them. Fool all/some of the people/time etc

Progress:- I think regulatory alignment with EU is progress. Halting divergence is a small win. I'm not aware of any other EU-friendly progress. I hope there is some, but I don't see it.

Proper Return:- I think it's unlikely the EU would want GB/UK back for some time. Other matters are more pressing for the EU. Ukraine and having 2 awkward members (Poland/Hungary) supporting each others' misbehaviour. I don't think most of the EU want another member of the awkward squad. Time will hopefully heal and sort out anti-EU mentality in England especially. I'd prefer GB/UK to be rule takers and not hinder the progress of the EU, at least for a while. I want Wexit - exit from stupidity of Westminster, influence of Putin's/Saudi/oil money & Press Barons (non-dom especially).

• Informative
Overview of treaties, projects etc that UK/EU could align on.

Euratom might have been a step too far as it might be described as joining a "single market" in Nuclear stuff.

Further treaties will be possible only if some benefit is likely to Tory voters/MPs, so Erasmus probably low likelihood.

My personal opinion is that joining the EU is a long way away, living life as if we were members could be much closer. Gaining the benefits of EU rules while having no vote (therefore no risk/ability to derail policy or join with Poland & Hungary).

Reactions: Buckminster
Euratom might have been a step too far as it might be described as joining a "single market" in Nuclear stuff.
Euratom would have been RE-JOINING.

"Why is the UK not participating in Euratom or F4E (Fusion4Energy)/ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor)

The UK has decided not to pursue its association to Euratom and Fusion4Energy / ITER. This decision is guided by the UK's assessment that its industry's long absence from Euratom and F4E/ITER programmes cannot be reversed."
i.e. the UK has already done so much damage to its nuclear research programme due to Brexit that there is no longer any point in REjoining

!!!!

the EU is on-the ball re this, so too the Guardian
Donelan did not give a detailed explanation for the decision not to rejoin Euratom. In its news release, the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero says:

Given delays to association and the direction of travel of these EU programmes, an alternative approach gives the UK the best opportunity to deliver our fusion strategy by driving job creation, investment and growth in our world-leading fusion sector.

But the European commission has given a blunter explanation in a briefing note. It says:

The UK has decided not to pursue its association to Euratom and Fusion4Energy/ITER [the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor]. This decision is guided by the UK’s assessment that its industry’s long absence from Euratom and F4E/ITER programmes cannot be reversed.

Euratom would have been RE-JOINING.

"Why is the UK not participating in Euratom or F4E (Fusion4Energy)/ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor)

The UK has decided not to pursue its association to Euratom and Fusion4Energy / ITER. This decision is guided by the UK's assessment that its industry's long absence from Euratom and F4E/ITER programmes cannot be reversed."
i.e. the UK has already done so much damage to its nuclear research programme due to Brexit that there is no longer any point in REjoining

!!!!

the EU is on-the ball re this, so too the Guardian
Donelan did not give a detailed explanation for the decision not to rejoin Euratom. In its news release, the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero says:

Given delays to association and the direction of travel of these EU programmes, an alternative approach gives the UK the best opportunity to deliver our fusion strategy by driving job creation, investment and growth in our world-leading fusion sector.

But the European commission has given a blunter explanation in a briefing note. It says:

The UK has decided not to pursue its association to Euratom and Fusion4Energy/ITER [the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor]. This decision is guided by the UK’s assessment that its industry’s long absence from Euratom and F4E/ITER programmes cannot be reversed.

Proclaimed reason & real reason can and often are different. My guess is that internal party politics rule and then a reason is made up.

I hope that it's merely the words "single market" that's prevented rejoining. If not, then that's a bad piece of news. If/when the government change, this can be revisited - either undoing the harm (if possible) or looking at whether it's a political decision ("UK's assessment").

All going so well in Brexshitlandia