TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Broken sunroof

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Malujerry, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:36 AM.

1. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

Back hinge on both sides snapped in half. Won’t close now. Anyone had this problem, nothing pulled up in search.

2. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

#2 SoCal Buzz, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Yikes, can you share a picture? Which part of the hinges broke, and was it caused by sunroof hitting something or twisting as it closed?

Hopefully it did not cause any damage to the panels or sunroof itself.

3. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

4. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

5. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Assuming no warranty?

6. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

Nope, 2015, 91k miles

nothing hit it. Just made a weird noise and wouldn’t close, got out to see this potentially expensive failure.

7. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Have you tried looking online for salvage parts? Way better than going to Tesla for a potentially expensive repair. there are likely quite a few salvage MS’s with a fully intact pano roof and parts.

Damn...

8. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

Good point, I didn’t, I get annoyed fast, wanted it fixed fast or just throw the whole car away hahaha

9. ThomasD

ThomasD Member

See If you can purchase new ones and do both sides

10. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I think it's more than just the brackets. Something caused severe binding with enough force to break them, and it's strange the sensors did not auto-stop. I recall many years ago reading about a similar problem, likely posted on the Telsa forum. You may want to search there to see how it was resolved. My original 2013 pano had some issues with binding, and Tesla replaced the entire frame / rail mechanism.