Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes, can you share a picture? Which part of the hinges broke, and was it caused by sunroof hitting something or twisting as it closed?

Hopefully it did not cause any damage to the panels or sunroof itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmer
F944C345-049D-41AB-8479-E2D3AED849AE.jpeg

Have you tried looking online for salvage parts? Way better than going to Tesla for a potentially expensive repair. there are likely quite a few salvage MS’s with a fully intact pano roof and parts.

Damn...

Unfortunately, I think it's more than just the brackets. Something caused severe binding with enough force to break them, and it's strange the sensors did not auto-stop. I recall many years ago reading about a similar problem, likely posted on the Telsa forum. You may want to search there to see how it was resolved. My original 2013 pano had some issues with binding, and Tesla replaced the entire frame / rail mechanism.

Back hinge on both sides snapped in half. Won’t close now. Anyone had this problem, nothing pulled up in search.
Yooo did you ever get this fixed? I have the same exact issue on my 2015 model s p85d with exactly 60k miles. Please let me know. I’m new to Tesla and love the car but this damn sunroof scares me. It just happened today! It made a few weird noises and then wouldn’t close and now i can hear air seep in and some rattling when i go over 60.

I ended up having tesla fix it, don’t rmr exactly but I think it was few hundred dollars, much less than the possible thousands of dollars they said it could possibly be.
Can you elaborate? My sunroof was making clicking sounds during operation. Thought it needed cleaning. Service Tech said the mechanism might need replacing. He took a look at in my driveway and broke the rear connection during removal of the glass. Tesla is now asking $3700 to fix with a $300 discount. Thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
Can you elaborate? My sunroof was making clicking sounds during operation. Thought it needed cleaning. Service Tech said the mechanism might need replacing. He took a look at in my driveway and broke the rear connection during removal of the glass. Tesla is now asking $3700 to fix with a $300 discount. Thoughts?
they broke it, they fix it at no charge

Reactions: Cheburashka

Sounds like they screwed up and want you to pay for their mistake.