Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife called me 10 minutes ago to tell me that a rock from a truck ahead of her just cracked the windshield. This, after just covering the car completely in PPF. I have 1113 miles on the frigging thing. It’s the first time I’ve let her drive it. I’m just so mad right now, I can’t see straight. I just had the windows tinted including the windshield.

So what now? Do they make aftermarket windshields for a Model 3 or does this have to come from Tesla? How much in time and dollars?

Our windshield was from Tesla. We had to wait 2-3 weeks. Installed by a third party glass company recommended by our insurer. We had full glass coverage, so no cost to us. The installer said he'd replaced at least one of every piece of glass on Model 3. Pretty painless other than a cracked window while we waited.

My wife called me 10 minutes ago to tell me that a rock from a truck ahead of her just cracked the windshield. This, after just covering the car completely in PPF. I have 1113 miles on the frigging thing. It’s the first time I’ve let her drive it. I’m just so mad right now, I can’t see straight. I just had the windows tinted including the windshield.

So what now? Do they make aftermarket windshields for a Model 3 or does this have to come from Tesla? How much in time and dollars?
It happens, no way to avoid it. Trucks are everywhere and often across all lanes, and if the rock fires not come from the one in front of you it will come from the one beside you. I got my first chip the first week I had the car from a truck hailing dirt to the next lane over. Didn't have ppf because they had to repaint parts of it from delivery so it remains under my ppf...

I had a large rock hit my window from who knows where earlier this week (likely another truck not in front of me) luckily no damage. I was actually amazed it didn't break the window since it was larger than a quarter.

The tint thing sucks though. I didn't do mine partially for this reason. I went through several windshields on my old truck but then nothing but chips for years after that. Maybe your tint shop will have mercy and give you a good price on a redo.

When my 2017 Model S had a crack in the windshield, geico sent me to safelite. safelite told me they could order a windshield from a tesla service center and replace it, but i would have to take it to tesla to re-calibrate the camera, which is somehow cemented to the windshield. i skipped safelite, and geico gave me permission to have tesla change the glass themselves. the service center told me they had to keep it overnight, because unlike safelite, they use some kind of glue to keep the windshield on instead of just a gasket, and it had to dry.

i got a loaner, no big deal. the next day i picked it up, and they told me autopilot would not work until i had driven about 75-100 miles, as it had to recalibrate itself. after 100 miles of driving, i parked the car, and when i got back in everything was as good as new.

There is no aftermarket windshield windshield for Model 3 yet. The windshield costs $530, sealant $28, labor around $368. Total with tax just under $1000. I paid $100 because my insurance has $100 glass only deductible. Some insurance has $0 glass only... some has $50.. and some just have the regular $500/$1000 deductible.. you have to check with yours.

Ah, sorry about your baby (car). I also feel bad for your wife. When my husband got his MS I wouldn't drive it for about a month for fear that I would do something wrong to it or someone else would while I had possession of it and just didn't want to see my husband's face if I had to tell him. After a month he insisted I get behind the wheel which I did but I would still feel bad if I was driving his car and something happened.

Just last week while we were in my Model 3 on 101 we heard a very sharp noise to the windshield. We both kind of gasped because it was so loud and waited to see if we saw anything. As it turned out we were on our way to our detailer for a PPF check and mentioned it to them. They pointed out a very small chip which my husband was then able to feel slightly but they said their experience was that this wouldn't turn into anything and has been okay since. Didn't notice anything on the X-pel'd hood. This was the second "hit" that my Model 3 windshield has had. Other one was on 101 too and again nothing resulted from it. We did inquire with Tesla at one point about whether they replaced windshields in our area and they said they didn't any longer. It's probably area specific as to whether they do or not. They gave my husband 2 names to call. We spoke to one of the companies and he told us they could do the work at, or maybe he said near, a local Tesla SvC (easy then for Tesla to check calibration) or they could meet us anywhere else to do the work. Hopefully I won't need this info but given our roads out here and to already misses, I won't hold my breath.

BTW you might want to call Safelite if you think as a temporary measure they can use that filler. It will help prevent the crack from spreading. One guy on the forum held off doing that and during the week saw his small crack spread across the whole windshield. That way you would still be able to drive the car if it's not bad until the replacement windshield arrived and could be installed.

There is no aftermarket windshield windshield for Model 3 yet. The windshield costs $530, sealant $28, labor around $368. Total with tax just under $1000. I paid $100 because my insurance has $100 glass only deductible. Some insurance has $0 glass only... some has $50.. and some just have the regular $500/$1000 deductible.. you have to check with yours.

I can confirm this cost estimate. The windshield part from Tesla is $530 and labor + other parts will put that close to or over $1000.

Currently dealing with a ton of rock chips on my windshield, front top glass, and front body work and the estimate is about that for just the windshield.

For reference, be glad you didn't get the front top glass chipped. That part is $750 :) Good thing this is being covered by the party at fault in my case...

5BFCD222-79A5-4642-8CDC-EB005B8DC577.jpeg
1EAD08AE-1FF8-4BD9-9FD5-919D43E0CA1D.jpeg
5BFCD222-79A5-4642-8CDC-EB005B8DC577.jpeg 5BFCD222-79A5-4642-8CDC-EB005B8DC577.jpeg 5BFCD222-79A5-4642-8CDC-EB005B8DC577.jpeg 1EAD08AE-1FF8-4BD9-9FD5-919D43E0CA1D.jpeg It has to come from Tesla. A small limb smashed my windshield and roof and left a body dent..that was four weeks ago..still don’t have Pearl back...call insurance