Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post the details like deductible/OEM repairs?

$100 deductible. Coverage excludes battery and motor. Repairs at Tesla SC are covered.
They are apparently the first to offer a third party Tesla extended warrantee. It might give someone ineligible for the Tesla extended warrantee some peace of mind.
This post is coming off as some kind of advertisement—I have no connection with the company and am just considering purchasing the coverage.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
$100 deductible. Coverage excludes battery and motor. Repairs at Tesla SC are covered.
They are apparently the first to offer a third party Tesla extended warrantee. It might give someone ineligible for the Tesla extended warrantee some peace of mind.
This post is coming off as some kind of advertisement—I have no connection with the company and am just considering purchasing the coverage.

Thanks... what is the cost for a 4 year coverage plan?

Saw some bubbles on my touchscreen last week. They've been multiplying since, decided to contact the service center. I was told via email that it's the adhesive melting, and it will require a replacement of the assy. I wasn't quoted a price, and I am out of warranty. I'm going to try to get a goodwill fix out of it, as I'm also going to get my TPMS fixed too, which will most likely come out of pocket (that's a wear item for sure, at 69k I understand that). I baby that screen, and the previous owner probably did too considering the film from the factory is still on!!

Anyway, take a look, and wish me luck on trying to skate by outside warranty :cursing:

View attachment 98438
Good luck! They told me it would be over $1000 to fix. Mine has been leaking goo through the dash for over a year now. It makes a big mess obviously. Please keep us updated.

Has anyone bought this third party Tesla warranty? X-Care - Xcelerate Auto
It probably doesn’t make sense for the touchscreen issue alone, but throw in one other sizable repair and it could be worthwhile.

They are apparently the first to offer a third party Tesla extended warrantee.

It might give someone ineligible for the Tesla extended warrantee some peace of mind. This post is coming off as some kind of advertisement—I have no connection with the company and am just considering purchasing the coverage.

Depends on year and mileage. There’s an instant quote to determine cost.
For a 2015 S with 65,000 miles a 4 year/50k mile plan is $5800. 2yr/30k is $3800.

That is $1,000 more than the 4 year Tesla plan @ $4,800 that has a $200 deductible per repair.
It could be worthwhile if you have a lot of claims with the aftermarket plan with the lower $100 deductible.

So just started to happen to my screen yesterday. Its not too annoying at the moment but it will get worse. While I've gone through the thread and people claim that the parts should get cheaper over time, I'm finding the opposite to be true. Just this past year, I had to pay over $1000 for the TPMS retrofit when it had been around $600 for the longest time. Tesla SC said that the price of parts went up in January and didn't offer it for any lower.

My question is should I ask about getting it replaced soon or wait until it gets really bad? $1000 now (assuming they can service just the screen) sounds much better than $3000 or more later on for the entire MCU...

So just started to happen to my screen yesterday. Its not too annoying at the moment but it will get worse. While I've gone through the thread and people claim that the parts should get cheaper over time, I'm finding the opposite to be true. Just this past year, I had to pay over $1000 for the TPMS retrofit when it had been around $600 for the longest time. Tesla SC said that the price of parts went up in January and didn't offer it for any lower.

My question is should I ask about getting it replaced soon or wait until it gets really bad? $1000 now (assuming they can service just the screen) sounds much better than $3000 or more later on for the entire MCU...
IMO, there is no sound reason to wait. It certainly isn't urgent, but the problem will not get better and I doubt the price will ever drop and if it does, it won't be a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia

Did you have tinted windows and/or live in an area where the interior temp of the car could get super-hot?

Did you have tinted windows and/or live in an area where the interior temp of the car could get super-hot?

Good point and one I’ve been thinking about to avoid this happening to the main screen (it’s already happening to the instrument panel screen). I had all of my windows tinted with Llumar Stratos tint which is supposed to be very high heat blocking. A big investment, but I also hope to save some energy on AC. I installed the Topfit pano roof shade; not sure how much that affects the heat.

I live in Houston so yes, does get very hot but I do have tinted windows. However, I had turned off "Cabin Overheat Protection" for short time, which I think may have accelerated the issue; I won't make that mistake again. Over time, my bubbles turned into a giant blob and I've lost about a third of the adhesive, which has leaked aplenty onto the floor (I have a towel catching all of it; it's very sticky).

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the entire MCU replaced at around $2200. Between the leaky screen and the memory chips prematurely wearing out, I might as well just get both done and save some money and hassle down the line.

I have the same issue, it has been around a year and only progressing very slowly thankfully so right now there is no urgent need to replace.

My query is really around what the best fix is, given the multiple issues around MCU's that I am likely to encounter sooner or later:

1. EMMC failure - my car is 2014 MS 85, the EMMC is going to go at some point;
2. MCU 1 being pretty "tired" in terms of performance as the software updates pour in, getting more and more processor heavy;
3. The bubble issue becoming critical;
4. I am on 3G so would ideally go for an LTE upgrade (or is there 5G on the way?)

I had a quote from Tesla a year ago for £1000 ($1300) to replace the leaky screen, but haven't taken this up. I don't know whether this is a whole MCU (reconditioned MCU1 I assume) or just the actual screen. I am certain I could do the labour myself so I guess the screen might be £400 ($500) ish, but this won't solve the EMMC issue. I guess the options are:

1. New screen (& LTE module) from Tesla, and while I replace it, pull out the Tegra/whatever and send it off for a EMMC swap (probably £1000+ and a few hours and some cursing the dash panel);
2. wait til it goes kaput (EMMC failure or fluid leak) and get Tesla to install new MCU1 with hopefully fixed EMMC issue and LTE modem (price £$??);
2. wait til it goes kaput and upgrade to MCU2 at Tesla (£2,500?);

I have no AP, so the MCU upgrade is purely for entertainment and easier use - it won't enhance the performance of the car in any other way.
I also don't want to drop several thousand £ on this. whatever I do it will be very much "under duress". this car was meant to save $$ on servicing compared to an equivalent ICE...

Thoughts?

Tom

1. New screen (& LTE module) from Tesla, and while I replace it, pull out the Tegra/whatever and send it off for a EMMC swap (probably £1000+ and a few hours and some cursing the dash panel);

Tom

I suspect that Tesla isn't going to help you with this. That is to say you'll give them the car with your dash fully assembled and they'll give it back fully assembled. I wouldn't think they're going to pull the chip for you or give you access to it while it's half apart for you to get it.

Otherwise I'm in the same boat and I'm thinking I'll just get MCU2. For me I just started getting a couple small bubbles in the instrument (behind steering wheel) screen but not the main screen. Point there is if you get MCU2, I believe they replace the instruments screen too. I'm sure you'd be very frustrated if you pay £1000+ on the main screen and then a couple weeks later the instrument screen gets some bubbles.