Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles / specs on all the windows.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see how it could be that considering the car is only a couple weeks old. The car was built, put on a truck and delivered to Salt Lake where I picked it up the next day. I’ve been in Vegas and not parked under trees since.

What would clean it off if it is?

It really could get covered like that in aphid poo in just one day ... As others have said, try some bug & sap remover. That stuff actually works pretty well.

• Funny
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
I've used this before on my Model 3 window.

Works fine.

Kitchen sponge? what it a brillo pad?
No, it wasn't. It was a mildly abrasive sponge that I've used on countless other glass surfaces with no issue. Was removing tree sap from a brand new Model X windshield (might be a difference in coatings with the 3).

Wasn't intended to dispute your success with the product, but I'd recommend testing it in a corner first.

So annoying in bright sun that I've considered getting it replaced again.

I would try glass polish.

Both my Tesla’s had crap on the windshield and nothing would take it off accept polishing. Used Griots Glass Polish with an orbital. Pretty easy to do and pretty mild. Clay wouldn’t touch it. Magic Eraser wouldn’t touch it.

If these are bubbles on top of your car, what color are they? If they are brown bubbles, or most would call them spots, then it could be the explosive fungus that grows in flower beds. It's often brought in with mulch. This fungus pollinates by shooting these brown dots way up in the air. They look like henna tattoo material, if you've ever seen that, and they worked basically the same way (more on that later).

After our yard people mulched last year, we had this problem in a really bad way. It coated 2 of our cars, and also the house. Took a long time to figure out what was causing the problem until I found an article online talking about this problem in California. People were getting their cars coated while parked on the street in a particular area. You don't need to be near any trees, the fungus is in the ground.

Let me tell you, those brown dots are a b*itch and a half to get off. You can get them off glass by using a fresh razor blade at an angle almost flat to the glass so you don't scratch it. For paint, I ended up having to break them off the car with a plastic razor blade and then wet sand and polish the left over spots off. The spots were basically staining the top layer of the paint.

No clay bar, or any other cleaners like bug and tar remover, would touch these spots. I tried a lot of different products.

Horrible stuff! We ended up pulling up all the organic mulch and I had rubber mulch put down. Problem solved. And the rubber mulch stays put and still looks like new after a year. Normally I have to have mulch put down every 6 months and it already looks like crap after 2-3 months. Rubber mulch is supposed to last 5-10 years, so it's a winner in my book. The sinking look on my yard guy's face when I told him I was ordering rubber mulch confirmed it was the right move. LOL

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
From a career certified professional detailer...
invoke the 7 day return as mentioned earlier just to get your foot in the door, then...
to determine what it is, take it to someone who can actually look at it, like a reputable professional detailer in your area, we literally see this kind of thing every single day, and are paid to know what it is and how to safely remove it.
You cannot tell what it is from pictures and written descriptions, so anyone diagnosing your problem in this thread is stabbing in the dark.
Once the detailing expert determines what it is and what it takes to remove it, then you can decide if it's a Tesla problem that they should deal with, or something that may have happened after you picked it up and you should deal with it.

Of course you, and anyone reading this, have learned your lesson to never buy anything for tens of thousands of dollars without at least looking it over first. The seller is motivated to get you out the door as quickly as possible so of course they're going to rush you and discourage you from inspecting it. We may love Tesla, but they're car salesman like almost all other car salesman first, and they know all the tricks to get you out the door.

Please report back here when you find out what it is, we're all curious!

From a career certified professional detailer...
invoke the 7 day return as mentioned earlier just to get your foot in the door, then...
to determine what it is, take it to someone who can actually look at it, like a reputable professional detailer in your area, we literally see this kind of thing every single day, and are paid to know what it is and how to safely remove it.
You cannot tell what it is from pictures and written descriptions, so anyone diagnosing your problem in this thread is stabbing in the dark.
Once the detailing expert determines what it is and what it takes to remove it, then you can decide if it's a Tesla problem that they should deal with, or something that may have happened after you picked it up and you should deal with it.

Of course you, and anyone reading this, have learned your lesson to never buy anything for tens of thousands of dollars without at least looking it over first. The seller is motivated to get you out the door as quickly as possible so of course they're going to rush you and discourage you from inspecting it. We may love Tesla, but they're car salesman like almost all other car salesman first, and they know all the tricks to get you out the door.

Please report back here when you find out what it is, we're all curious!

I wasn't rushed during my Tesla purchase.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
I would leave your car well alone. If you do anything that changes the look of the car (even for the better), it may result in Tesla getting more difficult than they should about resolving it. Leave it alone and give it entirely to Tesla to fix.

So here’s an update, it does appear to be some form tree sap, aphid poo, etc. I bought some bug and tar remover and tried in the corner of the window, with considerable elbow grease the “gunk” was able to be removed. I’ve been in contact with Tesla and they are going to work with me getting it detailed. Hopefully all will be well...

Other than that I’m loving the car. It’s actually odd to say but I consider some of the things an upgrade over my Model X and Model S. The seats are more comfortable and the stereo is considerably better than the “premium upgrade sound” in my X and S.

Thanks all for your input!

It’s actually odd to say but I consider some of the things an upgrade over my Model X and Model S. The seats are more comfortable and the stereo is considerably better than the “premium upgrade sound” in my X and S.

It's not odd to say at all; the Model 3 is a much newer architecture.

I had a Model S (100D) loaner this week while my 3 was getting its FSD computer upgraded. It was comfortable, but once I was back in the 3, it was night and day. I LOVE the way the 3 drives, handles, and feels. Sure, it's smaller, but if I'm moving cargo, it's going to be in our Enclave anyway.... (Yes, wish it were an X, but have you SEEN the market? Let's get that 7-seater model Y out the door asap .... )

All things considered, if someone offered me an S or a 3, I'd take the 3... and pocket the extra cash.