Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[BUG] Model 3 randomly goes into PARK while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've actually accidentally pushed the park button while driving (30+ MPH) thinking it was the windshield wiper fluid. It ended up just giving me an error saying I couldn't put it on park so it does have some fail safe.

I almost guarantee anyone experiencing this is at very low speeds, otherwise the complaint would be a lot more significant.

Anyhow, yes, this happens. Know how the doors are a bit hard to close on this car? More than once I've got in just to move the car from the garage to the driveway (so no seatbelt, this is key). If I didn't fully close the door, I get a nice LURCH as it chucks itself in park due to lack of seatbelt plus technically open door. A bit embarrassing and get I've done it a few times. When the car does this, there is a message on screen saying why it put itself in Park so see if you can see this message.

The car will not put itself in Park at a reasonable movement speed, but you could perhaps do so accidentally below 10km/h probably. Above some speed, you have to hold the button which will engage it regardless (this is your emergency brake), but then the ebrake indicator should show on the display.

So basically, if this happens to you, check the display to see what happened.

Imagine doing that in an ICE car shifting into park and like stripping all your gears...

All somewhat modern cars have protection against this, and have for quite some time. I think Mythbusters even did a test one this years ago, not even with a new car.

No. Most of the time I never hit the break when coming to a stop.. and if I do, i often let up before fully stopped if I have room and region is going to top me in time.
Yeah, that’s because you’re now using one-pedal mode, which didn’t exist on the model 3 back when I posted that a year ago.

If you switch the car to “roll” mode, you’ll see the behavior I was referring to.

Hey guys, I recently helped a friend pick up a MR Model 3 last Friday and she complained to me today that THREE times today, that she was driving normally with no traffic around her.

• One time driving down the street with no cars around
  • Another time was coming out of a shopping center
Apparently this happened 3x yesterday, and she said clearly the car showed a "P" on the screen, and she was unable to drive the car until she pushed down on the stalk.

I asked if she accidentally push the P while driving (but even then this shouldn't occur accidentally unless you press and hold). She already called out Tesla service and they suggested a hard reboot and she hasn't experienced it since (only 1 day though). She was running 2018.48.12.1 when I picked up her car last Friday.

Has this occurred to anyone else or has anyone heard of this?

Hmmm... is it a possibility that she moved while on the seat at those times
This happened to me at a stop light and Couple times in the car when I was looking for something
Model3 has a pressure sensor on the base of the seat if it picks up that there is not enough pressure on the bottom of the seat the car will go into park by itself
For example if you drive the car into a parking spot open your door and exit while your car is still in drive/hold it will automatically revert to park.