Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug Report: Turn Signal Doesn't Cancel - Seeking others to validate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a bug on my long holiday drive (1300+ miles so far!!)

Model 3 LR Software 2018.48.12.1

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Engage autopilot
  2. Initiate automatic lane change with turn signal
  3. Manually turn steering wheel in direction of lane change to disengage autopilot while lane change is in progress
  4. Manually complete lane change
  5. BUG: cannot turn off signal with half or full press of the turn signal stalk in the direction of turn, signaling in opposite direction cancels the turn signal.
Looking to see if this can be reproduced and also to gain attention from Tesla.

It probably is new, because until this most recent update, if you disengaged autosteer during a lane change, it would just turn off the turn signal (which was far worse when you were trying to complete a lane change faster/better than auto lane change was doing).

When I have experienced this (twice), it was exactly the same conditions as the OP described. At least I can chalk it up as a software bug and not a problem with the turn signal assembly.

Whoever has this happen next, maybe file a bug report contemporaneously. But, seems pretty likely Tesla knows about this by now since it is pretty common when using EAP.

co-sign on this issue. My left turn signal "half-press" did 3 signals then off when I first got the car, but within a few weeks it stays on regardless of how much I press it. The right turn signal works correctly still (half-press gives 3 signals, full press has continuous signal until a real R turn happens or I cancel it by gently pulling the stalk the other direction).

Hi everyone. No y'all aren't crazy. This is definitely a software bug though as I had my turn signal module replaced due to normal turn signalling not working as expected.

FrancoNY: I'd suggest you run through the turn signal stalk test (test left and right "half-press", "full-press", and cancelling "full-press" with both directions*)

*If you can't cancel out of continuous signal on either side using either direction (ie Left indicator continuous should be able to be cancelled by either a subsequent left or right press [but both should cancel]) you probably need a new turn signal module

I found a bug on my long holiday drive (1300+ miles so far!!)

Model 3 LR Software 2018.48.12.1

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Engage autopilot
  2. Initiate automatic lane change with turn signal
  3. Manually turn steering wheel in direction of lane change to disengage autopilot while lane change is in progress
  4. Manually complete lane change
  5. BUG: cannot turn off signal with half or full press of the turn signal stalk in the direction of turn, signaling in opposite direction cancels the turn signal.
Looking to see if this can be reproduced and also to gain attention from Tesla.

Same for me as well. Even on latest firmware. Sometimes auto lane change is too slow so I will take over. After lane change the turn signal won’t go Off so you have to move it to the opposite direction like a normal car to turn it off.

Yes. When autopilot freaks out during a lane change and I need to take control and cancel, I end up driving for more than I would like with my signal still flashing. Everybody behind me must think Tesla drivers don't know what they are doing. So far that is the worst part of the beta self-drive features - the embarassment when they don't work.

Reactions: fyresoul