Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build Back America chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is no connector at all, since there's no such thing as Build Back America chargers. ;) J/k.

There was the "Build Back Better" bill/proposal, which died in Congress. And there's the "Electrify America" charging network, which has existed for several years.

And then there's the "Bipartisan Infrastructure Law", which I'm assuming is what you're thinking about. It was actually signed into law in 2021 and contains money to help fund installation of a nationwide network of fast chargers. President Biden, USDOT and USDOE Announce $5 Billion over Five Years for National EV Charging Network, Made Possible by Bipartisan Infrastructure Law | FHWA

And, like Tam said, they will have CCS connectors. But some may have other connectors in addition to the CCS connectors.

The proposed (not yet finalized) DOT rules can be found here: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environmen...dors/resources/nprm_evcharging_unofficial.pdf

From page 67 (emphasis added):

(c) Connector Type.
All non-proprietary charging connectors must meet applicable industry standards. Each DCFC charging port must have a permanently attached Combined Charging System (CCS) Type 1 connector and must charge any CCS compliant vehicle. For NEVI projects using FY22 funds, one or more DCFC charging port(s) may also have a permanently attached CHAdeMO connector. Each AC Level 2 charging port must have a permanently attached J1772 (incorporated by reference, see § 680.120(d)(1)) connector and must charge any J1772-compliant vehicle.
One or more DCFC charging port(s) may also have a permanently attached proprietary connector.

So I read this as saying that every stall has to have a permanently attached CCS1 connector. But Tesla could add an additional cable with a Tesla connector and still qualify for government funding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H