Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought with the premium package you got built in maps, I don't seem to have any background maps.

My cellular service was not working and I had no background maps. I was in navigation mode so the the turn by turn instructions were on the left side as well as in indicated blue path where the map should have been. There were no background maps. Once the cellular service resumed the background maps showed up.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Teslas have two mapping systems - it uses Google maps for the big screen, but has built in Navigon maps for actual turn by turn directions. When you have no cellular signal, Google maps cannot download, so the big screen is blank. However, the turn by turn on the Instrument Cluster display will still work.

I thought with the premium package you got built in maps, I don't seem to have any background maps.

My cellular service was not working and I had no background maps. I was in navigation mode so the the turn by turn instructions were on the left side as well as in indicated blue path where the map should have been. There were no background maps. Once the cellular service resumed the background maps showed up.

Has anyone else noticed this?
It happens to me all the time as the rural area I live in has many spots with no AT&T coverage, including my home. Once you drive into cellular range the maps update.