Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bulb check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kuhz

Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Another day, another question. Tried searching to no avail.

Yesterday I noticed that the car started doing a “bulb check”, where all dash lights come on momentarily before car “starts”. This did not happen before. The only setting that I chenged before this started happening was from battery distance display to percentage.

Mine didn't do this when it was new. It started with one of the recent updates - not the most recent one, perhaps the one before...Can't remember exactly.

Required by US DOT. And of course odd since the Tesla instrument panel does not use indicator lamps or the like. And note that DOT requires these indicators in fixed locations on the instrument panel to simulate lamps/bulbs. Old school. Legacy.

I too recall some kind of difference about all the lights... it seemed a bit new and was all in-your-face and "bulbs" lingering a little too long or something. Could have been a new thing or change of behavior. Or maybe it has to do with when I put my foot on the brake and time it takes to hit the gear selector... I dunno.

It's all very quaint, and a bit nostalgic, like sporty cars used to do a "dial sweep" on startup as a bit of pizzazz on the cluster. If Tesla has something important to say while driving you get a pop-up message with text explaining.. not just a bulb. In fact, is there any car today without a digital display that is capable of doing the same, removing the need for bulb emulation? I guess in a few years, it will be either/or regulation and the bulb thing will disappear in the name of progress.

The only indicator I want (need) to pay attention to is the HI-BEAM. Which is placed in such a poor spot hidden by the steering wheel.. that I'm often reminded by my wife to turn them down. She can see the indicator from where she sits, I can't. Go figure.