Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a used 2019 Model S P100D 11,000 k's or new Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first Tesla and have an option on a 2019 Model S P100D with only 11,000 kilometres with every option ticked (was an ex Tesla demo car and sold in 2020 so warranty until Aug 2024) or a brand new 2021 Model 3 Performance. The price difference between each car is an extra $40,000 NZD for the P100D (approx $29k USD).

What are the thoughts here on which one to choose? I have only ever driven a Model 3 Performance on a quick demo and loved it, but I do like the idea of having more luxury driving in the Model S

Thanks all! :)

I think part of this comes to several preferences. In general,

Model S smoother, more a touring car, type of ride. Model 3 more nimble, but harsher ride.
Model S larger overall; Model 3 little smaller. My wife for example does not like driving my Model S; too larger for her as she prefers smaller cars.
Model S gives utility of a hatchback versus Model 3 more of a traditional trunk/boot.
Model S has separate "instrument panel" display versus Model 3 has single center display that serves both infotainment/nav/instrument panel displays
Model S has more options for configuring how buttons/scroll wheels function from the steering wheel. Model S need to do more via the center screen.

Neither is really better or worse as most of these get into personal preference items.

I think part of this comes to several preferences. In general,

Model S smoother, more a touring car, type of ride. Model 3 more nimble, but harsher ride.
Model S larger overall; Model 3 little smaller. My wife for example does not like driving my Model S; too larger for her as she prefers smaller cars.
Model S gives utility of a hatchback versus Model 3 more of a traditional trunk/boot.
Model S has separate "instrument panel" display versus Model 3 has single center display that serves both infotainment/nav/instrument panel displays
Model S has more options for configuring how buttons/scroll wheels function from the steering wheel. Model S need to do more via the center screen.

Neither is really better or worse as most of these get into personal preference items.
Thank you for taking the time for that reply...very helpful!

Update on which way I turned:

I opted for the P100D as it was truly incredible to drive, immaculate condition and fully optioned. Clearly it had been looked after. The advice on trying both is key, you will see what is right for you (or not). The comfort and size made the difference and it is more of a family car we can use on longer distances.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it was truly appreciated. The Model 3 Performance is another exceptional car and I am sure I will end up with one another day.

:)

If you consider buying a used P100D vs. a new M3P, the cost differential is really close. I test drove a new M3P(~$60k USD). I ended up buying a 2017 P100DL w/ 17,600 miles for $72k. I liked the look of the MS better along with all the other features; Air suspension, additional cargo space, instrument panel etc.

Reactions: Art VandeIay