Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy AP1 car or wait and get AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all of you out there that have experience with AP1 and 2, can you tell me if it is a bad idea to buy an AP1 car versus waiting until an AP2 2.0 car comes into my budget?

I came across what I think is a great deal on a '14 Model S with AP1. I put down a deposit, but it is so small that I am willing to lose it if I decide I don't want the car. I have been waiting for a sub $50k AP1 S for a LONG time. Finally found one, but I'm not sure if I should wait a few months (or a year or 2) longer for the AP2.0 cars to get in the price range.

Any opinions?

You'll be fine with the AP1 car as a perfect bridge car for the next 3 years while FSD and the rest of EAP gets developed.

I had an AP1 car and it was great. I have an AP2 car and, despite assurances at the time, AP2 is not better than AP1 even now, over a year since we were told it would be at parity.

I am looking for a CPO RWD AP1 S85 similar to what I had to replace the current AP2 car.

Again, in 3 years, there will be all sorts of reasons to upgrade. If Tesla maintains its lead over the VW Group, Ford (who just committed $11B to their effort), Subaru, and Volvo, not to mention Nissan, Mercedes, and BMW, a lot of car is going to be available for ~$75K - whether it's a fully-loaded Model 3 or a base Model S inventory car.

Until that day, there's unbeatable value in a CPO RWD AP1 S85 off lease with ~45,000 miles warranted to 100,000 miles for the next 3 years.

Reactions: thegooch49
I would go for AP1 if you want full functional car NOW. I had AP1 car and now AP2, it is a step back in functionality and as previous people said no idea when Tesla will get their act together.
I feel priority shifted from quality to quantity (the 3, the truck etc) to keep the shareholders happy.

The crazy thing is that we, Tesla drivers, accept this and are over the moon when standard functionality (like automatic wipers) becomes reality in the AP2 car......

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
What do you want to optimize for? If it's residual value, I would definitely go for AP2. Chances are that in 2-3 years people in the market for your car will be turned off if they see it "only" has AP1. If you want to optimize for the best current+1yr experience, see above the other opinions.

I had an ap2.0 car (75rwd) and traded in for an ap1.0 P85DL. I agree that AP1 is a better experience at this point. It’s smoother and more confidence inspiring. Both work great on highways in light traffic, but AP2 is a big step back in heavy traffic or on surface streets. AP2 is also more prone to abrupt and unnecessary movements. I had a AP2 loaner last week that still lagged behind my AP1 car despite multiple firmware updates since my trade.

• Helpful
I have confirmed that the car DOES have AP1 hardware and it is enabled. These are the options I was told the car has:

2014 Model S 85
Late December build
AP1
Tech Package
Air Suspension
Panoramic Roof
Power Liftgate
Parking Sensors
Leather Seats (not nextgen)
Premium Interior Package (I think this is lighting, but I was only told "premium interior package" - ???)
Power Folding Mirrors

39,000 miles - so 11,000 miles and 14 months of warranty remaining. Of course, I cannot extend it since I am buying through a dealer.

It is $48,500. Good deal or not?

Go with AP1. Life is too short to wait for things, especially when Elon timelines are involved. Don't worry about "depreciation", AP2 EAP costs $5000 vs. $2,000 for AP1, so if AP2 depreciates 50% it already lost more than 100% of AP1 cost. As for the whole car losing value because it has AP1 vs. AP2, not really a large concern - compare today's cars with AP1 and without AP1 and notice very small, if any, difference in price today (3+ years later) - and one could argue that no-AP to AP1 is a bigger difference than AP1 to EAP. Yes there are people out there that will care, but there aren't enough of them out there to affect CPO Tesla prices (i.e. Tesla can still sell the non-AP cars at same price, even if there are some people who prefer AP). If you're thinking FSD is going to be the main factor, consider Elon time - note that even Elon has stopped touting FSD in latest reveals (Semi and Roadster), while he had a lot of dreams to share at the AP2 reveal, not much said about FSD recently. All the other guys who are ahead of Tesla in terms of FSD (e.g. Waymo) use more sensors (e.g. lidar) and even they only deploy in very controlled environments (good weather, limited to 100 mile radius, etc) so there is waaaaays to go before general availability of FSD to the public for their privately owned cars (fleets of taxis will come first since they can enforce things like maintenance and operating conditions).

I have confirmed that the car DOES have AP1 hardware and it is enabled. These are the options I was told the car has:

2014 Model S 85
Late December build
AP1
Tech Package
Air Suspension
Panoramic Roof
Power Liftgate
Parking Sensors
Leather Seats (not nextgen)
Premium Interior Package (I think this is lighting, but I was only told "premium interior package" - ???)
Power Folding Mirrors

39,000 miles - so 11,000 miles and 14 months of warranty remaining. Of course, I cannot extend it since I am buying through a dealer.

It is $48,500. Good deal or not?
I know you stated you spoke with Tesla, which further frustrates me because I spoke with them regarding a few I'd found at local dealers and they specifically said the limited warranty (4yr/50k) was automatically voided if purchased thru 3rd party dealership. So not only did they tell me I couldn't extend the warranty, but in this case, the 11k miles/ 14 months would be automatically voided as well. This is why I began to only look for CPO's.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I know you stated you spoke with Tesla, which further frustrates me because I spoke with them regarding a few I'd found at local dealers and they specifically said the limited warranty (4yr/50k) was automatically voided if purchased thru 3rd party dealership. So not only did they tell me I couldn't extend the warranty, but in this case, the 11k miles/ 14 months would be automatically voided as well. This is why I began to only look for CPO's.

Oh man, are you sure? I called the SC and they seemed to say it shouldn’t be a problem to honor existing warranty and also purchase extended if the car was purchased through 3rd party? That’s BS if they don’t honor their warranty or allow for extended in cars that have been serviced by them and that are in good standing

Oh man, are you sure? I called the SC and they seemed to say it shouldn’t be a problem to honor existing warranty and also purchase extended if the car was purchased through 3rd party? That’s BS if they don’t honor their warranty or allow for extended in cars that have been serviced by them and that are in good standing
To clarify, they were speaking directly in relation to 3rd party car dealerships (i.e. anyone other than Tesla). However, if you purchased from a 3rd party individual you are fine.

Got it, thanks! Specific to 3rd party dealership since I’m looking buying one right now. It voids the existing manufacturers warranty coverage? Is that is confirmed?? Crazy if that is the case, complete BS. Not to mention inability to purchase additional coverage. Wtf