Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering ordering a car now to get the rebate, but I feel like waiting might be a better idea. If I waited until spring/summer I'd end up with a car with better build quality and potentially more options / equipment. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: adaptabl
This has always been true for every Tesla, since improvements are incrementally made and not tied to model year. It will still be true in the future -- waiting until fall/winter 2019 might mean a better car than the one you'll get in spring/summer, and so on. I'd buy now and take advantage of the full tax credit.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
I'm considering ordering a car now to get the rebate, but I feel like waiting might be a better idea. If I waited until spring/summer I'd end up with a car with better build quality and potentially more options / equipment. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yes, we are in the same boat. We would also like to maximize the tax rebate and get an M3 this year to replace our current EV. But I've been scared to pull the trigger after seeing many posts about manufacturing glitches and spotty delivery experiences.

Yes, we are in the same boat. We would also like to maximize the tax rebate and get an M3 this year to replace our current EV. But I've been scared to pull the trigger after seeing many posts about manufacturing glitches and spotty delivery experiences.

This is exactly my thought. Everything is so rushed, disorganized and hyped that it's difficult to know what to do. My delivery would probably be Dec. which puts it right before winter where I would have to contend with snow/sand/salt and poor charging etc. with my brand new car.

I'm glad I got my Tesla 3 last week. I will get the full tax credit. The car has exceeded my expectations. Sure a better one will be made next year and the next. I think the car is ready now. I'm 68 so every year is a blessing. If you are younger and don't mind waiting and paying more for the car, waiting is a definite option. For me, I'm delighted with the purchase. Got the Red, RWD, enhanced auto drive and the 19" sports wheels. The only slight regret is not getting the are wheels as they look great with the caps off. It will be interesting to see how the car looks in 5 years

I think the biggest question for you to answer is - "are there any missing features for you now?".

Things discussed -
- Trailer hitch
- Air Suspension
- Heated Steering wheel

These sorts of things may show up. If any of them are a showstopper then wait.

And in waiting, you've:

1. Lost the ability to get free premium LTE connectivity for life, so you'll have to pay $100/yr
2. Have to pay an extra $1k if you want AWD (was $4k, now $5k)
3. Have to pay an extra $500 than you would have for any paint other than black.
4. If you didn't want FSD right away, but might want it in the future, you now have to pay $2k extra instead of $1k
5. And the main thing - lost out on being able to drive one now.

But hey, everyone has their priorities, so I won't judge you for your decision. It just help me get mine faster (on order, just awaiting delivery notification)!

• Love
Reactions: Gavyne and MXWing
I think the biggest question for you to answer is - "are there any missing features for you now?".

Things discussed -
- Trailer hitch
- Air Suspension
- Heated Steering wheel

These sorts of things may show up. If any of them are a showstopper then wait.
I would expect that even if a trailer hitch does show up, it will be something you can just bolt on later. But air suspension will definitely have to be factory installed. If I thought it was close to coming, I would have waited for my order, but Elon said next year, and I don't want to wait that long and lose out on some of the rebate either. Heated Steering Wheel may potentially be something that could be swapped out (for a fee).

I bought 4 months and 8500 miles ago. The build quality is excellent. Please look at one in person first.

I would expect that even if a trailer hitch does show up, it will be something you can just bolt on later. But air suspension will definitely have to be factory installed. If I thought it was close to coming, I would have waited for my order, but Elon said next year, and I don't want to wait that long and lose out on some of the rebate either. Heated Steering Wheel may potentially be something that could be swapped out (for a fee).
I'm betting towing would be tied to air suspension.

They never offered heated steering swap on the model S.

Anyway, those were just examples. I've ordered mine, hopefully delivery in the next 8 weeks.

Seriously, towing? That's a joke right? The model 3 rides like a sports car but roomy enough for 4. I do have a Kia SUV should I want to tow something.

As far as build quality. It's here now. I don't have any issues with my model 3. Sometimes people on these boards complaint about minor issues or not. If you polled model 3 owners, my bet is most of them are very happy. Especially the ones delivered over the last couple of months. I would not be surprised if the first few hundred had some issues. But production problems seem to have been ironed out.

Reactions: C141medic
First, stop focusing on the problems that people bring up on the forum. It's basically the same in any car forum, yes there have been issues, yes there are sometimes still issues, but by far most of the deliveries are going great.

You can wait for new features until next year, or get the car now and get the new features as they are downloaded. I got my car about 3 months ago and it already has a lot more features that when it arrived.

Could there be changes to the platform that aren't updateable, sure. but you'll wait forever if you wait for the next feature. I've seen some posts from Model S owners who have been through a few cars that it seems as if they always buy a car just before the platform changes.

Reactions: SteveD
The only thing that would make me give up the tax credit on is AP3 release.

Since I’m locked in to the free upgrade I’ve got no hesitation of pulling the trigger.

We’re closing in almost 100K Model 3’s in the wild. Ton of them not bitching here and enjoying their rides.

And full tax credit.

And in waiting, you've:

1. Lost the ability to get free premium LTE connectivity for life, so you'll have to pay $100/yr
2. Have to pay an extra $1k if you want AWD (was $4k, now $5k)
3. Have to pay an extra $500 than you would have for any paint other than black.
4. If you didn't want FSD right away, but might want it in the future, you now have to pay $2k extra instead of $1k
5. And the main thing - lost out on being able to drive one now.

But hey, everyone has their priorities, so I won't judge you for your decision. It just help me get mine faster (on order, just awaiting delivery notification)!

+1

I'm loving my car, and I look forward to driving it every day. I couldn't imagine having to drive my old car for another 4-5 months, so glad I got my Model 3 in July. This car is making me want to go out and take long trips. Life is too short, have fun.

Yes, towing. Why should I have an SUV or keep my 2500 pickup. All I really need is a $600 trailer for bulky stuff.
I currently have an Acura MDX, so I can haul just about anything I need (my main runs are large numbers of bags of mulch during spring/summer). I would like to think about getting a trailer/hitch for when I need to do that in the Model 3, because I'll be getting rid of the SUV. On the other hand, I can rent a pickup truck from Home Depot for really cheap for an hour or two while I do some runs if I need to. I'm betting that I probably will not spend $3750 in rental fees in the next 10-20 years. And $3750 (at least) is the difference between owning this year or waiting for SAS next year.

Or I'll just grab a tarp so the interior doesn't get dirty, get half the number of bags I usually get per load, and have an excuse to drive it more. :)