Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is waiting on the 2024 changes to order a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I can’t say you perspective is wrong, how much faster does the Plaid need to be? For 99% of users this car is dam near frightening when it launches. I’m very pleased with what is there and could hardly want more.

At this point, if they make it faster it will be for only one reason and that is to continue to claim it is the fastest production car. That claim, which they still make, is in doubt because the sapphire has shown it can accelerate faster to 60 and be faster in the 1/4 mile. Now the first out in the wild exmaple of that was quite a bit slower than the plaid, but that same sapphire came back several weeks later and whooped the same Plaid's butt. Now since the only Sapphires that have been delivered are company execs and special friends of the company, it's hard for them to claim it's a production car. You can't just go out and buy a Sappphire. You can place an order but they aren't delivering them to regular customers yet. As such, I'm super suspicious that the sapphire/plaid rematch wasn't turned into a ringer given all the bad press the first matchup results caused.

But should the Sapphire to a point where they're delivering real numbers and delivering regular customers that don't have special relationship with the company, then Tesla will need to drop their claim or up their game ;)

At this point, if they make it faster it will be for only one reason and that is to continue to claim it is the fastest production car. That claim, which they still make, is in doubt because the sapphire has shown it can accelerate faster to 60 and be faster in the 1/4 mile. Now the first out in the wild exmaple of that was quite a bit slower than the plaid, but that same sapphire came back several weeks later and whooped the same Plaid's butt. Now since the only Sapphires that have been delivered are company execs and special friends of the company, it's hard for them to claim it's a production car. You can't just go out and buy a Sappphire. You can place an order but they aren't delivering them to regular customers yet. As such, I'm super suspicious that the sapphire/plaid rematch wasn't turned into a ringer given all the bad press the first matchup results caused.

But should the Sapphire to a point where they're delivering real numbers and delivering regular customers that don't have special relationship with the company, then Tesla will need to drop their claim or up their game ;)
This is what we used to call back in the day “magazine racing”

No one outside of extreme speed enthusiasts *really* care if the Plaid accelerates .01 faster than a Porsche or a Lucid.

What the MSP proved to the enthusiast community is cars have become “fast enough”. Anything much faster is a) not safe, frankly and b) nonsensical IMO

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make it. By all means, free country free production free market do as you please.

But I don’t think Tesla really cares anymore if someone is .01 faster in a straight line. They’ve staked their claim as the ultimate-straight line everyday performance sedan, .01 faster isn’t what will sell more cars. It doesnt need to do more of what it does well, the Model S/X will succeed by addressing what the car lacks - comfort, build quality, luxury. That strategy has a shot at moving the S/X needle for 2nd half sales, and not much else.

Reactions: Yelobird
This is what we used to call back in the day “magazine racing”

No one outside of extreme speed enthusiasts *really* care if the Plaid accelerates .01 faster than a Porsche or a Lucid.

What the MSP proved to the enthusiast community is cars have become “fast enough”. Anything much faster is a) not safe, frankly and b) nonsensical IMO

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make it. By all means, free country free production free market do as you please.

But I don’t think Tesla really cares anymore if someone is .01 faster in a straight line. They’ve staked their claim as the ultimate-straight line everyday performance sedan, .01 faster isn’t what will sell more cars. It doesnt need to do more of what it does well, the Model S/X will succeed by addressing what the car lacks - comfort, build quality, luxury. That strategy has a shot at moving the S/X needle for 2nd half sales, and not much else.

I know I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, the MSP is infinite power. It accelerates as fast as I want at any time. It's not just brutal g-forces but it instant from the time your brain decides to push the pedal to the time it's actually accelerating. It's so instant that sometimes it seems like the car is accelerating as you think the thought which makes it feel very telepathic.

I think my Plaid is as fast as it needs to be and I wouldn’t change for a tiny speed improvement. I would be so inclined if the quality ramped up significantly and the interior was more like Lucid or the range went way up. I just happen to be the kind of idiot that ends up unhappy if I don’t get the top version of anything - terrible personality flaw but it is what it is. Hence Plaid instead of the MSLR which is really more than enough already. Desire is a powerful and expensive force.

Where are you getting "improved interior materials"? That hasn't even been a rumor yet. The only thing we've seen being possibly more than the already non existent RGB lighting and front camera is "other improvements".
I'm referring to the improvements in the Highland and expressing hope similar improvement might be coming to the S. Didn't intend to express any knowledge or confidence these changes are coming at all, let alone soon.

Edit: I personally don't like the materials in the central door panel of the current S. Feel like canvas to me. I much prefer the materials in the Highland door panels. I was considering geting a new S yesterday, and was a bit disturbed how much nicer the interior of the Highland S compared to the S

Last edited:
Sport seats available on all Apr 1-fwd model s builds, confirmed.

Hope the x is next along with ambient lighting and other touches 👌

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Informative
Reactions: Tiger and TBrownTX
I'm referring to the improvements in the Highland and expressing hope similar improvement might be coming to the S. Didn't intend to express any knowledge or confidence these changes are coming at all, let alone soon.

Edit: I personally don't like the materials in the central door panel of the current S. Feel like canvas to me. I much prefer the materials in the Highland door panels. I was considering geting a new S yesterday, and was a bit disturbed how much nicer the interior of the Highland S compared to the S

The interior of the new 3 isn't in the same league as the interior of the S. Very plastic-y by comparison. It's interesting how we perceive quality, as humans, so differently. I was so glad to go back to my S after demoing the new 3.

Why they dont show on the online configurator for me?
I didn’t think they did either but if you click plaid, it says “sports seats”. Select the white interior option and they are clearly visible. Honestly Im torn on them. I’m not sure I like the black bolsters on the white back and I LOVE black and white interiors. Also, the elongated headrest is off-putting IMO. I do like the sleeker shape of the seat design and the badge. I don’t know if this is an item I’d consider a retrofit for. I also don’t like how new buyers don’t have the option.

The new sport seat pan bolsters look high and hard. It might be a pain to get in and out of. I wish they had these seats as an option only. This is not a sports car. It should be an option.

I completely disagree they look like any high end “performance sedan” seats. Not “sports car” seats. Further this car needs more supportive seating it is literally one of the quickest moving objects on any roadway. The bolsters look quite mild, as do the seat bottoms. Odds are they are same comfort/more comfortable. Great job Tesla now let’s confirm it’s for the X too, add some new lighting and comfort treats and we’re cooking!