Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is waiting on the 2024 changes to order a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not an engineer, but is this really true? It seems like an upgraded wiring harness and some component swap outs that would really not require an entire redesign. Happy to hear from anyone with expertise in the matter.
Not an engineer either but I assume it'd be a new platform and architecture and not worth the engineering effort on an old platform. If they don't ditch the S and X, I'd expect those features to come along with a body refresh, structural battery pack, 4680 cells....etc So a few years down the road.

Not an engineer, but is this really true? It seems like an upgraded wiring harness and some component swap outs that would really not require an entire redesign. Happy to hear from anyone with expertise in the matter.
Might try just looking at a vid tear down of the Cybertruck. Steer by wire is actually a fairly complex process with 3 motors just for the front steer. Much more than a wiring harness. I wouldn’t expect it on S or X for a long time if ever.

I know, but the post I quoted implied retrofit would only be possible on 2024s, and I was asking what led you to that belief
so let's say i wanted the front camera which is rumored to be coming soon on 2024 models. i dont think front camera can be retrofitted on my 2021 december build. so.. if i wanted the front camera, i would need to buy at least a 2024 or newer. that's what i meant :)

Reactions: Trunk Gap
so let's say i wanted the front camera which is rumored to be coming soon on 2024 models. i dont think front camera can be retrofitted on my 2021 december build. so.. if i wanted the front camera, i would need to buy at least a 2024 or newer. that's what i meant :)
Honestly, I don’t think I’d give up USS to get the front camera. Ambient lighting I imagine would be retrofittable and seats I’m sure would be too. In your shoes I don’t think I’d upgrade unless they do a more comprehensive refresh (updated motors and such)

I’m wanting the Cybertruck less and less while my order slot sits active. Too much attention, and it seems incomplete. I don’t want to be stopped on the road and followed, it’s a celebrity instagram car, not interested I want a comfortable cruiser where I can blend in.

Fingers crossed for any kind of meaningful x/s update by summertime.
I do believe from what I’ve interpreted from available info, that a camera and ambient lighting are around the corner.
Question is when.

We also know there have been Plaid+ test mules roaming at various times in various stages of testing. When will that big aero and more aggressive seating come to market?

As someone who is sitting on an expiring lease and replacing with CT, X or S I’m hoping it’s June/July.
From a company perspective it would make sense for a mid year bump in S/X sales to help hit forecasts for the year in the 2nd half and pick up whatever gap comes in 1H.
From a selfish perspective - yes gimme gimme want the new toy, car is going on 3years old with no real changes let’s go already!

Reactions: dsm363 and TBrownTX
i am definitely waiting for updates before I oder the Plaid. All the features that already arrived with the M3 are more than welcome: ambient lights, lane assist indication, better sound proofing... then the MS needs to get features on top, like sport seats with massage, nicer rims, min. 10% more battery and 800V charging.
All this is the minimum for a premium car 2024.

And I know it won't now, but also needed quickly: steer by wire, 48V

Please excuse my English, I am from Germany

i am definitely waiting for updates before I oder the Plaid. All the features that already arrived with the M3 are more than welcome: ambient lights, lane assist indication, better sound proofing... then the MS needs to get features on top, like sport seats with massage, nicer rims, min. 10% more battery and 800V charging.
All this is the minimum for a premium car 2024.

And I know it won't now, but also needed quickly: steer by wire, 48V

Please excuse my English, I am from Germany

Hate to tell you this, but if you stick with that list, you'll never be ordering a Plaid or Long Range for that matter.

I too have thought about an eqs, taycan, something different.
What I keep coming back to is my familiarity with, and ability to depend on, a few key features. Dog mode, a fully functioning app, and autopilot on the highway are 3 things that come to mind of non-negotiable i know I can depend on from Tesla that I don’t trust other OEMs with yet. No, I do not trust that Audi or mb or Porsche’s “dog mode” won’t result in some strange bug where it doesn’t turn on or resets itself and the car goes to 100+. Don’t have that fear with Tesla bc it just works, and always has. Stuff like that keeps me with Tesla, I know the good and the bad.

Tesla was always ahead of the game in terms of technical features... now others have 800V, ambient, front camera (which is stone age for most others)... I still like the MSP, but they have to do something, they need to do their homework...

800 V not going to happen until the battery pack is completely redesigned. I don't see that happening soon. But the new ambient lighting and "improved" interior materials c/w the Highland updates should be a trivial update. Just need to shut down the factory for a few days. Maybe at the beginning of the next quarter (which is a week away!)

800 V not going to happen until the battery pack is completely redesigned. I don't see that happening soon. But the new ambient lighting and "improved" interior materials c/w the Highland updates should be a trivial update. Just need to shut down the factory for a few days. Maybe at the beginning of the next quarter (which is a week away!)

Where are you getting "improved interior materials"? That hasn't even been a rumor yet. The only thing we've seen being possibly more than the already non existent RGB lighting and front camera is "other improvements".

... they got to make the plaid more attraktiv to bei able to rise the price, or at least sell more Plaid vs LR. battery ist the liimitation regarding power, the motors are more capable... so we will see what they do about battery... just thinking

... they got to make the plaid more attraktiv to bei able to rise the price, or at least sell more Plaid vs LR. battery ist the liimitation regarding power, the motors are more capable... so we will see what they do about battery... just thinking
While I can’t say you perspective is wrong, how much faster does the Plaid need to be? For 99% of users this car is dam near frightening when it launches. I’m very pleased with what is there and could hardly want more.