Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy P100D now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Switching from a Model S 90D, is it smart to buy the Model X P100D now, or do you suggest to wait because a larger battery version might
come out soon?

There’s also the Free Unlimited Supercharger referral thing going until end of Jan. 2018 so not sure if that’s something serious to consider?

Best regards!
OK - let's be serious (BTW, I just changed from my S85D to an XP100DL)

1. Do you NEED to change? (i.e. Lease up)?
2. Do you want more room?
3. Is the S difficult to get in/out of? (I'm 6'3" and 265 lbs...it was difficult daily)
4. Are three things the X has that the S doesn't that you want?
5. Can you afford to do it?
6. X factors? (no pun intended).

Point is - it is totally up to you if you want to spend the $$$ and can afford to do it then why not? If you need to then choice is limited. If you don't NEED to and you are simply THINKING about it - then it really is just a choice (i'm happy for you that you can do it if you want).

When I ordered my X I had missed the $1k bonus and real leather but ended up getting AP 2.5.

If you wait - you MIGHT end up with a newer option, design, interior, etc - or you MIGHT not.

But if you want the X and you have time, I say look for a good deal on an inventory...

If you don't have time, why wait?

If you wait - you MIGHT end up with a newer option, design, interior, etc - or you MIGHT not.

Sure, but by waiting your chances of getting newer option, design, interior, etc go up. An educated decision IMO is that this year more so than in other years (e.g. Model 3 ushering in new interior/computer/battery technologies likely to change Model S/X too). If that matters to you, wait. If it doesn't matter to you, then by all means, buy now.

Personally, I'm waiting and hoping for a few key updates to the X before buying one:

- Bigger battery
- Updated infotainment

The MS100D has acceptable range, but I feel the MX100D is just a little lacking. I don't like the range trade off on any of the "P" models. In a perfect world, you could have your "P" performance and non-"P" range if you drive normal, but I guess thats not in the cards.

I think they will both benefit from a switch to the 2170 cells or some other technological battery advance. I think the MS/X 75 will go away when the MS/X 120 (or whatever) shows up and the 100 will become the base model. Of course, this is all a wild guess on my part. I just don't see the MS/X 75 selling well once the M3 LR can be easily had for half the price.

The MCU is impressive at first glance, but a little time in the saddle uncovers all the complaints you read about here. Definitely needs more power and better operating system,

Good Luck either way!

Hi there,

Switching from a Model S 90D, is it smart to buy the Model X P100D now, or do you suggest to wait because a larger battery version might
come out soon?

There’s also the Free Unlimited Supercharger referral thing going until end of Jan. 2018 so not sure if that’s something serious to consider?

Best regards!
You lost me at smart. Smart is a used camry. If you're talking about upgrading an almost new 6 figure car with an even newer 6 figure car, you've operating purely at want, not smart.

Buy now, or forever wish you did. Never wait till tomorrow, it might not come.

I don't buy this theory.

We have a limited amount of things we can acquire and accomplish during a lifetime. A car-buying decision for most is a multi-year commitment, which takes a significant chunk out of the automotive part of what one can acquire during a lifetime. A wait to buy a car in this thread, on the other hand, is a matter of months only.

While rushing into it could mean the difference between experiencing a Tesla and not, much more likely it means the difference between what kind of car you get to experience for the next 3-5 years. A few months wait can mean a significant difference on the car you experience for many years to come and thus have a much more significant impact on your life.

Something happening during or after 3-5 years is much more likely than something happening in a few months (on average). So waiting to get your dream car for a while can well be statistically less "dangerous" than rushing to buy a less than your dream car on, say, the premise that you can just buy a better one eventually after years... there might never be that next car, but there might well be many great years with the current one - as long as you time your buying right to get the one you want.

The only thing that matters for OP here really is what they want. IMO the educated word on Teslasphere is that a significant Model 3 inspired interior, infotainment and battery update to Model S/X, and possibly a door or exterior facelift to both or Model X, seem likely for 2018. Possibly starting in Q2/2018 for the interior, according to one rumor. Battery may take a bit longer, given the Gigafactory delays, but we don't have any good rumors into battery timing. If this matters, wait. If it doesn't matter, then of course there is no need.

There are exceptions, of course.

Chasing the latest and greatest Tesla will cause endless misery and piles of money. Good luck with that. While you wait your just losing more time you could have been driving a Tesla.

I agree chasing the latest and greatest is pointless.

One reason to make a great purchase decision (including purchase timing) is to avoid any chase down the road.

All cars that are kept for a long time will eventually be outdated. But there can be a massive difference in what and how they are in those first months and years - and, of course, if the car is kept many years those improvements that came will also bring usefulness and joy all those many years, compared to a car that is without.

Our other vehicles are 24 and 7 years old

What difference does a few months of wait mean if you are keeping a car 24 or 7 years... the wait is quickly forgotten. But the features you got for that wait, will be used for 7 or 24 years...

As for risk of something happening, it is less in a wait of few months, than it is during a long ownership of many years (or decades even). By rushing into buying the car in this case, could mean missing out on driving the upgraded Tesla for years to come. And who knows, maybe there is never an opportunity to buy a second Tesla...

Make it count applies to every long-term purchase. There is a balance to be struck between rushing vs. forever procrastinating. In this case a wait of 3-6 months could well be worth it.

By the way, I'm totally of the opinion that once you do make that long-term commitment (e.g. buy a car), making your peace with it is a very good idea. Often there ends up being something that is less than optimal and that's where your own head comes to play. Feeling good about what you got is a worthy goal.

But that totally does not apply to pre-purchase! On the contrary, pre-purchase is exactly the right time to do what OP is doing here, making great due diligence and seeking the perfect time to jump in. Because a good pre-purchase process, timing and a well-made purchase decision will make "making peace with" the purchase much easier and more natural - as well as give you other benefits of that good purchase (features etc.) for a long time to come...

OK - let's be serious (BTW, I just changed from my S85D to an XP100DL)

1. Do you NEED to change? (i.e. Lease up)?
2. Do you want more room?
3. Is the S difficult to get in/out of? (I'm 6'3" and 265 lbs...it was difficult daily)
4. Are three things the X has that the S doesn't that you want?
5. Can you afford to do it?
6. X factors? (no pun intended).

Point is - it is totally up to you if you want to spend the $$$ and can afford to do it then why not? If you need to then choice is limited. If you don't NEED to and you are simply THINKING about it - then it really is just a choice (i'm happy for you that you can do it if you want).

When I ordered my X I had missed the $1k bonus and real leather but ended up getting AP 2.5.

But if you want the X and you have time, I say look for a good deal on an inventory...

If you don't have time, why wait?

1. Don't need, paid the S in cash back in summer '16.
2. Yes, easier to handle kid's seat in the back and overall more roomy.
3. Not for me, but for the parents it's a bit of a hassle sometimes to get out of the seats since there are no holders.
4. Main point is more space and the falcon wing doors. I'd go for the P-version this time, so there's the Gimmick of higher acceleration, but yeah, that's just cool to have.
5. Yes. but also not in it to waste money on a car that gets a major update 2 months later. I'd be spending around 90k on it after selling back the Model S back to Tesla.
6. :)

Thank you for your thoughts! Cheers!

By the way, I'm totally of the opinion that once you do make that long-term commitment (e.g. buy a car), making your peace with it is a very good idea. Often there ends up being something that is less than optimal and that's where your own head comes to play. Feeling good about what you got is a worthy goal.

But that totally does not apply to pre-purchase! On the contrary, pre-purchase is exactly the right time to do what OP is doing here, making great due diligence and seeking the perfect time to jump in. Because a good pre-purchase process, timing and a well-made purchase decision will make "making peace with" the purchase much easier and more natural - as well as give you other benefits of that good purchase (features etc.) for a long time to come...

Agreed. Thanks!

Had a long talk with Tesla sales rep. today and (of course) he said that he doesn't know of any upcoming battery upgrade and that they are really busy with pushing the M3, and he thinks there won't be an upgrade to the S and X anytime soon. But yeah, of course it would be a little stupid to inform buyers about an upcoming upgrade if they are ready to buy now.

For your battery question: there will ALWAYS be something to wait for. If they upgrade the battery tech tomorrow then you'd say "well it should be better in 1 year time so should I wait?" and the cycle continues forever.

The free supercharging is nice but how often are you really going to go to a supercharger? Most report a $2,000-$5,000 savings over a 5 year period depending on usage.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm mostly charging at the supercharger, about a full charge every 1-2 week(s).

4. Main point is more space and the falcon wing doors. I'd go for the P-version this time, so there's the Gimmick of higher acceleration, but yeah, that's just cool to have.

To be complete in this, with Tesla there is always the fear that they will cancel something too. From the features in my car Q4/2016 ordered, Q1/2017 built Tesla has already cancelled: ventilated seats, adaptive spoiler, leather seating, Helix wheels, Alcantara dash, glossy seatbacks, trim options and free Supercharging (only thing that has improved was AP 2.5 vs. AP2 and new rear-door interior buttons). Would make a bit harder to buy a new one, that's for sure... This was, though, a rather exceptional circumstance even with Tesla...

BUT I bring this up because there are rumors of a Model X facelift and second-generation falcon wing doors.

Could they come? Could they change something towards the better or worse for your wishes? Could Tesla even cancel falcon wings entirely and go normal doors? We don't know. All we know is that rumors of second-gen falcon wings and a Model X facelift code in the mobile app were seen/heard sometime in the past year or so, without any confirmation, timeline or anything.

So, yeah, waiting also has its risks.

Last edited:
Reactions: vandacca
To be complete in this, with Tesla there is always the fear that they will cancel something too. From the features in my car Q4/2016 ordered, Q1/2017 built Tesla has already cancelled: ventilated seats, adaptive spoiler, leather seating, Helix wheels, Alcantara dash, glossy seatbacks, trim options and free Supercharging (only thing that has improved was AP 2.5 vs. AP2 and new rear-door interior buttons). Would make a bit harder to buy a new one, that's for sure... This was, though, a rather exceptional circumstance even with Tesla...

BUT I bring this up because there are rumors of a Model X facelift and second-generation falcon wing doors.

Could they come? Could they change something towards the better or worse for your wishes? Could Tesla even cancel falcon wings entirely and go normal doors? We don't know. All we know is that rumors of second-gen falcon wings and a Model X facelift code in the mobile app were seen/heard sometime in the past year or so, without any confirmation, timeline or anything.

So, yeah, waiting also has its risks.

I feel the risk of waiting is much less because if a change is made that you don’t like, you can always scoop up an inventory car in the older configuration, probably at a discount since it’s now out of date.

I feel the risk of waiting is much less because if a change is made that you don’t like, you can always scoop up an inventory car in the older configuration, probably at a discount since it’s now out of date.

Fair point.

I remember when Apple cancelled the first flatsceen iMac, the "table lamp" one with a round base (it was followed by the first "all flat" one). I scooped one of three last inventory from a local importer, luckily they had the top model. Was one of the best and most beautiful computers I've ever owned. Sucks that I sold it later. :)

1. Don't need, paid the S in cash back in summer '16.
2. Yes, easier to handle kid's seat in the back and overall more roomy.
3. Not for me, but for the parents it's a bit of a hassle sometimes to get out of the seats since there are no holders.
5. Yes. but also not in it to waste money on a car that gets a major update 2 months later. I'd be spending around 90k on it after selling back the Model S back to Tesla.
6. :)

Thank you for your thoughts! Cheers!
On #5 - EVERY car is a loss - period - you're never going to even come close to getting your $$$ worth - particularly with the P (I still bought it) so to be realistic, you lose 20% the second you drive it off the lot, regardless of upgrades/changes.

If you are into keeping this one for the long-haul then get it - if you think you may want to change in the future - maybe lease it...then you have the flexibility and you will mitigate your losses.