Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX P100D Unicorn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am looking to buy a MX and came across a 2017 MX P100D (Feb 2017 build) will the following specs:

- 140k mileage
- Performance Ludicrous
- Rear spoiler
- 6 seater with Tan interior and carbon fiber decor
- free unlimited supercharging (transferable to new owner)
- 22' silver turbine wheels
- MCU upgraded to enable FSD (included package)
- Premium Connectivity included
- Battery and drive unit warranty runs until April 2025

The owner's demand is 75k USD.

Is this a unicorn MX? Do I need to look out for any potential known issues with these cars?

Should I consider high mileage as a factor when buying the car or are these cars very reliable with that many miles on the meter?

• Funny
Reactions: glide
Hi, I am looking to buy a MX and came across a 2017 MX P100D (Feb 2017 build) will the following specs:

- 140k mileage
- Performance Ludicrous
- Rear spoiler

Is this a unicorn MX? Do I need to look out for any potential known issues with these cars?

Should I consider high mileage as a factor when buying the car or are these cars very reliable with that many miles on the meter?
Is that 140000 km and 86991 miles? That is better than my 2017 X. Guessing so since your from 'Aus".

Re: MCU upgraded to enable FSD (included package)
So both ?
a) MCU1 to MCU2 and
b) HW2 "fsd computer" to HW3 "FSD computer"

A free HW2.5 camera upgrade would be required as well for FSD.

0ma3zqD.jpg

$75k USD? For a 2017 with 140k miles? That is wildly overpriced, and a lot of miles. A Tesla is not maintenance free. Even without an ICE, you still have brakes and suspension components that wear, and might eventually need work at that mileage. Pre-raven, you don't have one-pedal driving, and need brakes to come to a full stop.

As an example, you can get a 2019 Raven Performance (with similar options) direct from Tesla for $72k. And that gets you probably at least 18-24 months of standard warranty, plus until at least 2027 for battery/drivetrain warranty. Plus much less wear and tear. That gives you a much better vehicle, for less. Non-Tesla dealers probably have similar vehicles for slightly less (but without the added 1 year extended warranty).

The question is... would you truly get significant value out of the free supercharging?

Personally, I haven't spent much on supercharging in the 14 months I've had my X, because I can charge at home. Everyone is different of course... some people can't charge at home, and drive 25k miles per year purely on supercharging. For them, yeah, maybe FUSC might have some value to it. But if you can charge at home, and will only need supercharging on the occasional road trip... it might not have the value you think it does.

$75k USD? For a 2017 with 140k miles? That is wildly overpriced, and a lot of miles. A Tesla is not maintenance free. Even without an ICE, you still have brakes and suspension components that wear, and might eventually need work at that mileage. Pre-raven, you don't have one-pedal driving, and need brakes to come to a full stop.

As an example, you can get a 2019 Raven Performance (with similar options) direct from Tesla for $72k. And that gets you probably at least 18-24 months of standard warranty, plus until at least 2027 for battery/drivetrain warranty. Plus much less wear and tear. That gives you a much better vehicle, for less. Non-Tesla dealers probably have similar vehicles for slightly less (but without the added 1 year extended warranty).

The question is... would you truly get significant value out of the free supercharging?

Personally, I haven't spent much on supercharging in the 14 months I've had my X, because I can charge at home. Everyone is different of course... some people can't charge at home, and drive 25k miles per year purely on supercharging. For them, yeah, maybe FUSC might have some value to it. But if you can charge at home, and will only need supercharging on the occasional road trip... it might not have the value you think it does.
64B9A528-5D13-4E69-A4DD-2674605AB45F.png
In San Diego, free supercharger use a great perk.
Really high electric rates, really high supercharger cost.
We’ve had our 17 since new, mainly supercharge to 90%
Even at home it’s .49/kWh 1st 200, than .59
So free supercharger use can be a great perk

View attachment 912468
In San Diego, free supercharger use a great perk.
Really high electric rates, really high supercharger cost.
We’ve had our 17 since new, mainly supercharge to 90%
Even at home it’s .49/kWh 1st 200, than .59
So free supercharger use can be a great perk
I’m not saying it’s not… just saying the value really depends on the person. A lot of people might not use it like you do. But clearly, many do.

In this particular case, based on a quick search of comparable vehicles, the FUSC would be a $15-20k premium over other similar 2017 P100Ds. Not so free at that point. That’s why I’m saying you have to do the math to see if it makes sense for one’s personal situation.

Reactions: Genie and Npate2
Personally, I would not think this car is worth that price tag. As many have stated, the value really comes from the FUSC and how much you will use it. P100Ds are relatively keeping their value in this market but it’s all on your risk tolerance. What do you value more - warranty or FUSC? Seems like the 100D packs are “bulletproof” and don’t have as high of a fail rate as previous packs. But would you be willing to spend 25k if it were to fail? What about the motor? Suspension? I typically wouldn’t bring these points up but with over 150k miles on the clock these are all things I would consider. It’s very likely suspension will require some work in near future.

I would say if you really value FUSC, find another car with less mileage that has it (settle on not getting the performance if you can’t find one since they are difficult to come by). I just don’t think 75k is worth it especially for a 6 year old car and HW4 seemingly to be around the corner.

$75k USD? For a 2017 with 140k miles? That is wildly overpriced, and a lot of miles. A Tesla is not maintenance free.
Personally, I would not think this car is worth that price tag.

Sorry for not clarifying this in my original post. I'm from Australia where generally Tesla vehicles are usually 20% more expensive than USA. I should've stated the AUD price which is about 110k AUD. For a ball park comparison, I'm guessing the same car would be priced ~60k USD in USA.

I am seeing a Raven 2019 Standard Range up for sale a little bit higher than that price here in Australia (72k USD + 20% Australian market price difference = ~86k USD). The owner is demanding 95k USD (140k AUD). I think that car is bit overpriced given that it's a standard range 2019 Raven (This is probably equivalent to the earlier 90Ds, right?) so not really convinced on that one. Are 2019 MX Raven standard range really solid/better cars from a battery pack, electric motor and suspension point of view as compared to Pre-Ravens?

This is a valid question I have been thinking a lot ever since I've decided to get in the market for MX. I currently own a MS with pay per use supercharging and I can charge easily at home (and do so as well). However, I think if I do get free supercharging I'd prefer to use it over my home charging as it will provide significant savings as electricity rates in my area are not exactly cheap. Also, we do at least 4-5, 1200-1500 mile road family trips per year where free supercharging will be great. This is in addition to the usual weekend day trips which we take (which I currently home charge my car for to minimize supercharger use while on the go). The weekend trips are usually ~100 miles round trips.

There would be 'some' value in using free supercharging, but not sure if it translates into significant savings (on the order of more than a couple of thousand $) over the course of the ownership of the car. I will switch over to supercharging from home charging though, that I am fairly certain of.
What do you value more - warranty or FUSC? Seems like the 100D packs are “bulletproof” and don’t have as high of a fail rate as previous packs. But would you be willing to spend 25k if it were to fail? What about the motor? Suspension? I typically wouldn’t bring these points up but with over 150k miles on the clock these are all things I would consider. It’s very likely suspension will require some work in near future.

Valid questions. Should I be concerned about the battery and the motor at 140k miles clocked for a P100D? Obviously I don't look forward to the 25k spend on a future battery failure. Suspension I do understand is a valid concern because it's directly related to the high mileage.

I would say if you really value FUSC, find another car with less mileage that has it (settle on not getting the performance if you can’t find one since they are difficult to come by)

That makes sense. I am interested in a 2017 90D with 80k miles (130k KM) which is coming in at a lesser price but I am not sure if 90D battery packs are as 'bullet proof' as the 100D ones. There's another 2018 100D with 25k miles (40k KM) which I am looking at but with a bit less specs (has free supercharging) and price which sits mid way between the 2017 90D/P100Ds and the 2019 Raven Standard range.

You should look into these "free supercharging". I am 99.5% sure this last one (2018) doesn't include TRANSFERABLE Free SC. I have a 2017 X, with Free Supercharging, but that ends when I sell it. They stopped offering car based Free SC at some point (early 2017).

Reactions: Genie
You should look into these "free supercharging". I am 99.5% sure this last one (2018) doesn't include TRANSFERABLE Free SC. I have a 2017 X, with Free Supercharging, but that ends when I sell it. They stopped offering car based Free SC at some point (early 2017).

Yup. That's correct. The owner of the car which I am considering to buy e-mailed Tesla and they came back with a confirmation that the car had free supercharging for the life of the car, regardless of ownership transfer.

I have another question; The car seems to have a range of 240 miles at 100% SoC. For a 2017 MX P100D is that a good range number in terms of battery degradation?

What was the original range stated on these cars and generally what's the average degradation after 140k miles on the odo?

I have another question; The car seems to have a range of 240 miles at 100% SoC. For a 2017 MX P100D is that a good range number in terms of battery degradation?
For comparison purposes, my 2019 Raven Standard Range with 30k miles on it has 232 miles of range at 100% SoC. It has been in the family since new and has been mostly home-charged (L1 and L2). I’d be curious to know what range the P100D started out with.

Yup. That's correct. The owner of the car which I am considering to buy e-mailed Tesla and they came back with a confirmation that the car had free supercharging for the life of the car, regardless of ownership transfer.

What was the original range stated on these cars and generally what's the average degradation after 140k miles on the odo?l
My late 2016 P100d has 250 miles at 100% SOC. I forget what they were new. It’s adequate.

At 32k miles I needed new axels and upper control arms. Total cost is $2600 USD. I consider these consumable on a Performance MX. that’s not the end of the list. Still waiting on estimates for two other repair items and the total is 3400$.

Honestly if you could get by with a Model Y I really think they are better designed cars. I’ll keep mine on the road for now but if repairs like these are regular occurrences I’m not.

Get it for what it is the fastest 6 seater produced in that year with really cool doors. (I get smacked by them weekly)
Don’t get it to save money! I did the math. Paying for home charging at for 7k miles cost me 450$ over the last 12 months. We pay $0.14/kWh.

- 140k mileage
- Performance Ludicrous
- Rear spoiler

I’ll sell you my unicorn p100D with 120k miles for less than $75k

I have a 6/17 100d. New 294 at 100% 264 at 90%
Currently, after almost 6 years, 60,000 miles
90% 243.

The car I'm looking at is a 04/17 P100D. I think the P100D had a slightly less range than 100D (how much less I don't know). If you're at 243 miles at 90% now this means 100% now will be 270 miles. The P100D I'm considering to buy goes 240 miles.

Did the new 2017 P100D and 100D had a range difference of 30 miles?

Also, what wheels have you got? Bigger wheels have an adverse impact on range as well.

My late 2016 P100d has 250 miles at 100% SOC. I forget what they were new. It’s adequate.

That's a tad bit better than the car I'm after. What wheel size have you got on your car?
At 32k miles I needed new axels and upper control arms. Total cost is $2600 USD. I consider these consumable on a Performance MX.

The owner of the car told me he had these control arms and axels replaced as well for his car as well. Seems to be a manufacturing fault with the Performance versions of MX built in 2016/2017.
Honestly if you could get by with a Model Y I really think they are better designed cars.

Model Y is the newer designed cars so definitely Tesla have innovated more in terms of the car engineering and design, as well as learnt on their past mistakes and not repeated them. However, I'm not going for a Y because one I don't like it's shape/exterior outlook and I think it's interior is also not as good (looks wise) as MX - I really don't like the single screen only layout in M3/Y. Secondly, I'm after a 6 or a 7 seat car for our growing family and we don't have the 7 seat option in Model Y.

Get it for what it is the fastest 6 seater produced in that year with really cool doors. (I get smacked by them weekly)
Don’t get it to save money!

I've come to the same conclusion. If I do purchase it, the biggest reason (after the need for a family SUV) would be to have some fun in a cool car.