Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a ‘23 MY Standard Range - Please educate me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I talked with people on chat on tesla's website and the email where I got order confirmation and all that stuff, they told me they cannot honor the old price so i guess the trick only works when you are able to reach out to a sales person in the showroom or directly go there and ask them to match your base price!!
The price did not change for me, I ordered after the latest bump so that wasn't a factor.

So I talked with people on chat on tesla's website and the email where I got order confirmation and all that stuff, they told me they cannot honor the old price so i guess the trick only works when you are able to reach out to a sales person in the showroom or directly go there and ask them to match your base price!!
AFAIK, if you have a pending older with old price, you need to text tesla(the text you got when you placed the original order)and someone will help you match the new car to the old price. This is the only way it works.

In this case, Most of the time you are out of luck as the cars are available only for few minutes before someone snatches it.

But if you place a new order, they are not going to match the old price.

Reactions: Cleblanc
Ya Kansas City doesn’t want to honor old price either. I might make the switch and argue after the fact. They said this car won’t even be here until March 10th. So what does that mean to all the TBD cars??
What this means is that if waitingfortesla build dates are accurate, these cars are built on 3/4, 3/5 from Austin and delivered by 3/8-3/11 to destination on east coast. Thats less than 1 week to deliver from built date

What this means is that if waitingfortesla build dates are accurate, these cars are built on 3/4, 3/5 from Austin and delivered by 3/8-3/11 to destination on east coast. Thats less than 1 week to deliver from built date
I let the SA know I was using the waitingfortesla site and spouted off all the dates I saw and she confirmed that they were accurate. They had and ETA of this Thu (3/9) of the car reaching my local center and she validated that and said yes it is in transit to us due to be delivered on 3/9 for whatever that's worth.

I've been following another thread related to 2/8/23 MYAWD and popped over to this one. Like most on here I've been checking Existing Inventory to see if I can find a vehicle that is built and ready for delivery. Unfortunately, can't seem to grab one in time. Used the chat/call back feature on tesla.com and got a call back this morning from "Internal" sales (IS), aka 702 area code Nevada. Separately, this afternoon I called my local "External" sales (ES) center and learned few things. Both calls provided the same info. Sharing if not covered.

1. If a base MYAWD pops up in existing inventory and you place an order (i.e., pay the non-refundable $250 fee) then you're getting that vehicle for the new price not the lower price. If they move your original order over to existing inventory, they will refund the $250 on your original order but vehicle price will be the higher price.

2. Both IS and ES said that if I find a vehicle in existing inventory that matches the exact configuration as my original order they just move the original order over to existing inventory and the price stays the same as my original order. Obviously, the vehicle has to be the exact same build/configuration.

3. As everyone knows, all MYAWDs ordered 2/8 were pre-production but ES did say for a fact they show the vehicle being delivered before the end of the month or end of quarter. So there may be hope for all of us that can't get existing inventory. Obviously, we don't know what guidance (if any) the fed will provide.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:
I've been following another thread related to 2/8/23 MYAWD and popped over to this one. Like most on here I've been checking Existing Inventory to see if I can find a vehicle that is built and ready for delivery. Unfortunately, can't seem to grab one in time. Used the chat/call back feature on tesla.com and got a call back this morning from "Internal" sales (IS), aka 702 area code Nevada. Separately, this afternoon I called my local "External" sales (ES) center and learned few things. Both calls provided the same info. Sharing if not covered.

1. If a base MYAWD pops up in existing inventory and you place an order (i.e., pay the non-refundable $250 fee) then you're getting that vehicle for the new price not the lower price. If they move your original order over to existing inventory, they will refund the $250 on your original order but vehicle price will be the higher price.

2. Both IS and ES said that if I find a vehicle in existing inventory that matches the exact configuration as my original order they just move the original order over to existing inventory and the price stays the same as my original order. Obviously, the vehicle has to be the exact same build/configuration.

3. As everyone knows, all MYAWDs ordered 2/8 were pre-production but ES did say for a fact they show the vehicle being delivered before the end of the month or end of quarter. So there may be hope for all of us that can't get existing inventory. Obviously, we don't know what guidance (if any) the fed will provide.

Hopefully this helps!
How do you know they will for sure refund the $250? I was told no, I won't be refunded. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Wow.. total lack of communication..., this is my first buying experience with Tesla lol. what model spec are you picking up today?

We have it now. Honestly, when I actually talk to a human at Tesla, sales, delivery, service, it goes very well. The car is perfect. Basic car - M3, blinding white. It's now the 3rd M3 I have purchased.

Edit: Also, we got a very good look at M3 and MY side by side - and we really do not need the size of the MY. I wish the M3 was a hatch, but we'll suffer through somehow.

Reactions: Tedsplace30
How do you know they will for sure refund the $250? I was told no, I won't be refunded. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Assuming you have a new order and you want to move your old order over to the new then they will refund the $250. Don't cancel the old order on your end though, as in "request cancel" on your account. Have them move things around and should be able to do it at the SC. If all fails then just depends on how far up you escalate it.

Update on my end. Tried to get matched to an existing inventory and before the internal sales rep could do it the vehicle disappeared from inventory. Good news, I got disassociated from the pre-production VIN PA075xxx I had with TBD and have a delivery in March. What this means, next available VIN for my build/config will be assigned to me. Texted internal sales and they confirmed that this will speed up my process and I'll automatically get matched to a vehicle from local existing inventory or one that's en route. More than likely will be a PA08XXX or higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajman225
After reading everyone's posts today I have been stalking the existing inventory website. 15 minutes ago, one car in the same configuration popped up for a different Tesla location, but still local and I texted the link to Tesla and called at the same time. The SA on the phone put me on hold and said it looks like it is in transit and while I was on hold, someone else from Tesla texted me back and told me that I was in the same boat with this car I saw in existing inventory and that it has no vin assigned yet and was still in pre production so there is no guarantee I would get this car before my previous order.
As I was about to text back, the SA came back on the phone and said basically the same thing, the car is not here yet and best to just hold tight for updates. I just said ok and hung up.
Then, I see an email from Tesla saying I got my vin number!?!
I went to my app and the vin number has already changed and I have an EDD of mar 18-25. ( I was stuck on TBD prior).
They honored the original price of $50,990. But technically I didn't agree, but I guess I'm happy now. They said on the phone that my Feb 10 order is not even in production yet.

Last edited:

Hopefully this helps!
As this point I won't trust Tesla SAs as they have no visibility other than what we have except ones the car is shipped. The might be suggesting the delivery based on the trends. One month of uncertainty after promising 2 weeks delivery was too much for me. Jumped to an inventory one and they honored the price for me.

Update on my end. Tried to get matched to an existing inventory and before the internal sales rep could do it the vehicle disappeared from inventory. Good news, I got disassociated from the pre-production VIN PA075xxx I had with TBD and have a delivery in March. What this means, next available VIN for my build/config will be assigned to me. Texted internal sales and they confirmed that this will speed up my process and I'll automatically get matched to a vehicle from local existing inventory or one that's en route. More than likely will be a PA08XXX or higher.
What number do you guys call? I'll see an existing inventory pop up and before I can get a response text back it'll be gone. This weekend, one popped up at 6am. I texted and 3 hrs later they responded with it's not available anymore. NO $%^&, that was 3 hrs ago. They only last about 3-5 mins.

What number do you guys call? I'll see an existing inventory pop up and before I can get a response text back it'll be gone. This weekend, one popped up at 6am. I texted and 3 hrs later they responded with it's not available anymore. NO $%^&, that was 3 hrs ago. They only last about 3-5 mins.

I called (888) 518-3752 for sales and at the same time texted with a copy of the link to that specific car I saw on existing inventory. Fortunately, they answered fairly quickly as did the text. I didn't have to pay another $250 or the difference in price. My original price remained.

(DONT GET A "COMING SOON TO" or a "PRE-PRODUCTION" VEHICLE YOU WILL BE IN FOR A LONG HAUL!!)All right guys here is my update a lot of people already changed it but i wanted to share my experience as well.
I changed my order to an inventory one today as well. ordered a blue before but got the white from inventory.
anyways so here is to who all are looking to change.
I tried the chat on tesla.com all they want you to do is place order they wont honor your old price. (if you booked a MYAWD at a base of 50,990 this is for you) if you booked a white one at 51,990 and still waiting then just go on tesla.com and ask them 1 question
1. what is the EDD or ETA of vehicle to arrive at store?
If it is close just ask them to make the change they should be able to do it
(YOU MIGHT GET A REPLY FROM EMAIL OR TEXT TRY THAT FIRST)
I tried reaching out to the person who texted me for order confirmation, mailed the guys who send me the welcome letter, got 2 different people mailing me if i ask a question mailed them too but no one replied and as all of you know inventory cars dont last long.
finally thanks to the guy i found on forum @dion009 (THANKS A LOT 🤗 ) he shared a few email ids of his SA who was responsive. mine were not at all so i thought all of the Georgia was like this but then i was able to get a response from a SA which @dion009 gave me. and she was quick to respond as soon as i send her the first mail asking if they would price match she said yes. and all i did was send her the link and was able to grab one.
NEW EDD 02/08-02/16

So I guess it totally depends on store representatives if they want to reply or not. so if you are not getting a response on mail or text your best bet is going in to the store and doing it. when you are at store no inventory is available just try finding a representative who will reply to you. at least they will know you are going mail them the link and they need to change that no unnecessary emailing back and forth.
My VIN for 02/09 order was PA073
For this one it is PA080
Best of luck grabbing yours!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex425 and dion009