Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2016/2017 Model S in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be a bad idea to purchase a 2016/2017 Model S with 50-70K miles for less than $40k in 2023?
How does one go about checking if the battery has been replaced on a Model S before purchase?
As long as you can budget yourself for big-ticket items like the main battery and drive unit, you are good!

You just have to be at the mercy of the previous owner to disclose the car history.

Upvote 0
for me personallly, it will be a bad idea, i would rather go with newer models that atleast have a tendency to run for 5-10 years without requiring any repairing.
Not necessarily, if OP can find good example (even not the 100 battery) then it should run fine. And if the expected out of warranty big cost (battery swap $13k-$22k and drive unit LDU up to $7-8k) are acceptable then why not? Current battery can be checked by the label on the passenger side front wheel well, on the frame.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily, if OP can find good example (even not the 100 battery) then it should run fine. And if the expected out of warranty big cost (battery swap $13k-$22k and drive unit LDU up to $7-8k) are acceptable then why not? Current battery can be checked by the label on the passenger side front wheel well, on the frame.
i had a bad experience in the past, i bought a used car with around 90 percent health, it get toasted after few miles, but after replacing it it only lasted for 2-3 years id ont know what was the fault but when i checked it it was totally beaten, that is why now i usually prefer new cars, they might cost more but the reliability is the main factor for me now.

Upvote 0
It should show $0.00 on charging screen. This however could be old info but there's a date stamp
U could ask to go on a test drive to SC n see what happens...
Best way of coarse it to get SC01 code from app/website

Other avenue if ur really set on FUSC is to get 75d n upgrade the battery.

Upvote 0
even observing a free supercharge or seeing free supercharging on the app as a feature does not ensure that it will transfer. look up SCO1 on these forums and learn more about the conditions that need to be met. Best way to get FUSC is to buy a 2012-Jan 2017 car from the first owner. Outside of that, one can check for the SC01 code by examining the codes on the Tesla webpage of the current owner or finding a helpful service guy at a service center

Reactions: BrisbaneB
Upvote 0
even observing a free supercharge or seeing free supercharging on the app as a feature does not ensure that it will transfer. look up SCO1 on these forums and learn more about the conditions that need to be met. Best way to get FUSC is to buy a 2012-Jan 2017 car from the first owner. Outside of that, one can check for the SC01 code by examining the codes on the Tesla webpage of the current owner or finding a helpful service guy at a service center
Tesla webpage meaning on the Tesla app or is this something that can been seen on the MCU of the car?

Funny enough, I looked at one at a dealership and somehow I was able to call my local Tesla and they looked up the vin and said it had free super charging. The dealer didn’t know this.

Upvote 0