Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2017-19 used P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my Model 3 is pretty much my wife’s car now, I am looking at buying a second Tesla to use as my daily driver.

I’ve noticed the older 2017-2019 P100Ds are actually a pretty good value right now. I really don’t want to buy a new S because of the significant decline in value over a short time—especially after any unannounced price drop or refresh/new feature release.

However, most of these cars are off their general warranty, and will soon be coming off their battery and drivetrain warranty. How reliable is this generation of Model S? I know, like pretty much all first gen cars, the early Model Ss suffered from battery failures, among other things. My 2018 3 has been flawless, I assume battery tech in the post 2017 S cars would be of similar quality? Would you have serious hesitations about owning an off warranty S?

Since my Model 3 is pretty much my wife’s car now, I am looking at buying a second Tesla to use as my daily driver.

I’ve noticed the older 2017-2019 P100Ds are actually a pretty good value right now. I really don’t want to buy a new S because of the significant decline in value over a short time—especially after any unannounced price drop or refresh/new feature release.

However, most of these cars are off their general warranty, and will soon be coming off their battery and drivetrain warranty. How reliable is this generation of Model S? I know, like pretty much all first gen cars, the early Model Ss suffered from battery failures, among other things. My 2018 3 has been flawless, I assume battery tech in the post 2017 S cars would be of similar quality? Would you have serious hesitations about owning an off warranty S?
For my 2018 My battery and Drive unit warranty doesnt expire till 2026. Those are going to your most expensive repairs. I think for the price you'll be getting a fantastic deal right now.

Reactions: Zorak03