Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a model 3 in 2022. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been at least 3 effective pricing increases for ICE vehicles recently.
!. The MSRP prices have bumped up.
2. No longer able to pay under sticker. No longer get the $500 over dealer cost offers.
3. For popular models in high demand, the Additional Dealer Markups have gone way up.

4th is that you can not often stop into a dealership and drive your new car home. You need to order it and wait months for it to come in:(
100% this. With most ICE cars you could usually negotiate invoice price + any available incentives/rebates. For most cars this was usually 10-20% off MSRP. Some cars more, some cars less. Now? Good luck with that, most cars now are full MSRP and yes, most cars have increased MSRP over the past couple years. Many dealers also tack on some hefty fees like $300-1000 dealer processing fees, $500 vin etch, some make you pay thousands for paint or leather/fabric protection. Most car companies also ticky tack every little feature. Want heated seats? Well you need to pay $5K for the tech pack that also adds more speakers. Want more safety features? That's another $1500-3000. Wan't leather? That's $7500 more because you also need to buy the tech package..

I find Tesla's model refreshing.

Most car companies also ticky tack every little feature. Want heated seats? Well you need to pay $5K for the tech pack that also adds more speakers. Want more safety features? That's another $1500-3000. Wan't leather? That's $7500 more because you also need to buy the tech package..

I find Tesla's model refreshing.
It is not like Tesla's option sheet does not have stuff like this (although there is less of it because there are fewer options overall). Want a RWD/SR+ with one of the nicer stereo, AWD, or bigger battery, but don't care for the other two? Can't have just one, since they are all packaged together as the LR model.

Just a story re ICE and Tesla....I sold my 2019 BMW X3 the day I ordered our second Tesla a LR M3 in January. They kept sending me emails and letters saying "we want to buy your car" LOL.

They gave me almost $31k for a car I bought almost 4 years ago for $39,900. It had 48,500 miles on it and it was ready to be out of warranty. They initially offered lower but I went and got a Carvana offer and they matched it...sure they will sell it for a lot more but not my problem anymore. It was going to need breaks, tires and there is always a oil change due or "break flush" due and more with BMW. Also my tech who I trust told me to be prepared to fix two oil leaks if I keep it another 40k or so...one would be about a $800 repair an the other "if it happens" $1600 or so. I'm so done with that BS.

The time is now to make the swap if you can/want to.

NOW how do I change my user name...🤣

Last edited:
I bet when supply exceeds demand prices will come down. Judging that there is still March availability for the M3LR and M3P that may not be that far off. No way to predict what Tesla will do tho.

m3 LR is showing April now...checked earlier today. To help judge if mine is still Feb28-Mar28 that I ordered Jan 13th.
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 7.52.07 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BGaffigan
I bet when supply exceeds demand prices will come down. Judging that there is still March availability for the M3LR and M3P that may not be that far off. No way to predict what Tesla will do tho.
Depends on inflation and continued effects of Covid (more variants) and supply chain. China still has a zero tolerance policy for Covid meaning that at any time they will lockdown millions of people and whole cities for 10+ days if there is even a hint of a Covid. As variants get more contagious it will continue to affect supply.

I placed an order for an M3P this week (it said March) but my latest EPP says April 18-May 21 delivery. Obviously that can change but March may be optimistic.

LFP battery SR+ is a better car than the LION SR+ in my opinion, has more functional range, longer functional life, etc. Sure maybe it's a bit slower but most reports of comparisons from people and they find it hard to tell an acceleration difference.
I saw a video recently where a 2021 SR+ is racing a 2022 RWD and the 2022 RWD Model 3 is significantly slower than the SR+. It’s almost like a SR+ v LR.

But it does win in the range section.

Reactions: XPsionic
There have been at least 3 effective pricing increases for ICE vehicles recently.
!. The MSRP prices have bumped up.
2. No longer able to pay under sticker. No longer get the $500 over dealer cost offers.
3. For popular models in high demand, the Additional Dealer Markups have gone way up.

4th is that you can not often stop into a dealership and drive your new car home. You need to order it and wait months for it to come in:(
You can still walk into a dealership and drive away the same day, if you're being as specific as "I need something on four wheels that runs." You might get a new subcompact, pickup, minivan, or whatever they have leftover on the lot.

If you're looking for a specific model, options, colors, forget about it. You're going to wait.

I thought that a heat pump is more efficient and saves battery energy in winter time!!
more efficient from 30F+ ... in very cold temps heat pumps still work but are less efficient than heating with electricity. Simply not enough BTUs in the very cold air to be extracted efficiently. Living in Texas heating isn't really an issue but if need be - the resistive electric heating always works and works FAST.

Reactions: ahmedshawky82