Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a model 3 in 2022. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on inflation and continued effects of Covid (more variants) and supply chain. China still has a zero tolerance policy for Covid meaning that at any time they will lockdown millions of people and whole cities for 10+ days if there is even a hint of a Covid. As variants get more contagious it will continue to affect supply.

I placed an order for an M3P this week (it said March) but my latest EPP says April 18-May 21 delivery. Obviously that can change but March may be optimistic.
inflation is a valid point. main reason I am not going to take the wait and see approach for a potential price drop.

Reactions: ahmedshawky82
inflation is a valid point. main reason I am not going to take the wait and see approach for a potential price drop.

Man, so many people on this forum last year saying they were going to outsmart all of us and save money by waiting. They all got burned by price increases and no tax rebates. We got both our Teslas when they were at their lowest prices, so we got the last laugh on that one.

An EV today will lose in 8 years all it's value. Think about that. A new replacement batery today cost 22k for and old 2013 model S. Value of that car today it's 25k running. With no battery, where is the value of the car, where will be the value of M3 in 8 years. I have a reservation for M3 from long time ago, but I think my next car will be an SH diesel car. A seccond hand diesel. after 5 years, it s on half of the price from new. After 10 years values go to 10 15% from new but the engine will go for 500 miles at least and much cheaper to fix. Big problem with EV if you make the math. I m a big fan of Elon, from 10 years now, The cars are beautifull and I believe this is the future and Tesla it s on top, but for me, diesel remain, at least for the moment, the fair option.

An EV today will lose in 8 years all it's value. Think about that. A new replacement batery today cost 22k for and old 2013 model S. Value of that car today it's 25k running. With no battery, where is the value of the car, where will be the value of M3 in 8 years. I have a reservation for M3 from long time ago, but I think my next car will be an SH diesel car. A seccond hand diesel. after 5 years, it s on half of the price from new. After 10 years values go to 10 15% from new but the engine will go for 500 miles at least and much cheaper to fix. Big problem with EV if you make the math. I m a big fan of Elon, from 10 years now, The cars are beautifull and I believe this is the future and Tesla it s on top, but for me, diesel remain, at least for the moment, the fair option.
Eight years is still a long time...what’s the average age of a Tesla owner ?

Well, you and everyone in your community will have to breathe in the fumes created by your car. That should be some consideration in your decision, don't you think?

I don't know how batteries are recycled, but as I said, the future is for EV and hydrogen. The only problem is the current rate of depreciation of electric vehicles. I was thinking of buying a SH Model S from 2013-14, but I was wondering if it's worth it because I have to buy new batteries. The answer is simple. I will buy a Mercedes GLC 43 coupe with 35K, a 5 year old car. After 3 years I can sell it for 17k. A Model 3 will need new batteries after 8-10 years for 22K. My Merc petrol will need maintenance and probably some spare parts but I will not change the engine unless it is cabbage and even so it does not cost more than a few thousand.

I don't know how batteries are recycled, but as I said, the future is for EV and hydrogen. The only problem is the current rate of depreciation of electric vehicles. I was thinking of buying a SH Model S from 2013-14, but I was wondering if it's worth it because I have to buy new batteries. The answer is simple. I will buy a Mercedes GLC 43 coupe with 35K, a 5 year old car. After 3 years I can sell it for 17k. A Model 3 will need new batteries after 8-10 years for 22K. My Merc petrol will need maintenance and probably some spare parts but I will not change the engine unless it is cabbage and even so it does not cost more than a few thousand.
True, buying a second hand small diesel car is cheaper and (possibly) better for the environment....but I enjoy driving again and I haven’t for many years...and that’s what I’m paying for😀

True, this may be a reason to have an EV, but economically, it's awful. My old 2011 Merc C180 was 5 years old when I bought it at half the price of a new one. Now, after 10 years, it is no more than 4 5k and I decided not to sell it. 10 years from now it will go on the highway like a new car, because I changed all the parts when it was needed and it was not more than 2k. This car will be on the road for a long time if I change the oil on time, there is no need to change the engine. It won't be worth anything on the market, but it works for me. If I had to buy an EV at the age of five, after 3 to 4 years I would have to give more money than the value of the car itself to go, otherwise it would stay in the garage.

True, this may be a reason to have an EV, but economically, it's awful. My old 2011 Merc C180 was 5 years old when I bought it at half the price of a new one. Now, after 10 years, it is no more than 4 5k and I decided not to sell it. 10 years from now it will go on the highway like a new car, because I changed all the parts when it was needed and it was not more than 2k. This car will be on the road for a long time if I change the oil on time, there is no need to change the engine. It won't be worth anything on the market, but it works for me. If I had to buy an EV at the age of five, after 3 to 4 years I would have to give more money than the value of the car itself to go, otherwise it would stay in the garage.
don't get me wrong, maybe my style is different from yours. I stay away from banks and buy only SH cars, but good cars. I only had a Mercedes. The next one will be a great one, the GLC 43 Coupe AMG. It will compete with M3 at every level and more, because it is all terrain. Diesel and petrol cars will remain on the market for at least 30 years from now. I don't know if I'll be here when the last gas pump is demolished.

don't get me wrong, maybe my style is different from yours. I stay away from banks and buy only SH cars, but good cars. I only had a Mercedes. The next one will be a great one, the GLC 43 Coupe AMG. It will compete with M3 at every level and more, because it is all terrain. Diesel and petrol cars will remain on the market for at least 30 years from now. I don't know if I'll be here when the last gas pump is demolished.
Predicting the future isn’t easy....but this is my prediction 😀...all cities will ban diesel cars....all towns will ban diesel cars.....governments will stop the manufacturing of diesel cars (very very soon)...diesel fuel distributors will move into different businesses....gas stations will convert to charging stations or sell the land for development.
Of course I could be completely wrong!... and I hope I am because I need diesel fuel for my boat😉

Predicting the future isn’t easy....but this is my prediction 😀...all cities will ban diesel cars....all towns will ban diesel cars.....governments will stop the manufacturing of diesel cars (very very soon)...diesel fuel distributors will move into different businesses....gas stations will convert to charging stations or sell the land for development.
Of course I could be completely wrong!... and I hope I am because I need diesel fuel for my boat😉
in the end fossil fuel will end, but the game it s not to predict when, insteed to have the right car on the right moment. You and me can not change the car market, only big boys can do it. I tell you one small secret, 70% of carbon emissions came from oceans, that mean, all this retoric about cars and fossil fuel it s fake, not becose I say so but becouse scientist say, the guys that are shot down on internet to not speak to much. The fake news go in all directions and cos the mainstream media it's taken by one side, you will see only one side of the story. The truth is out there: carbon emisions came from plancton in the ocean big time, cars on fossil have a small percentage in carbon emisions. The biggest game changer in wether is the sun, not humans activity. Take a look on sun activity on long time periods and you will see a pattern on earth wether.
In other words, today even I care about the planet, I care also about my son, my family future, where money are in central position. With no money for education or heltcare it s useless an expensive EV if I have the option to have the same care on petrol on the same price and no fear to change the engine in few years. This is the main problem withs EV today, the battery replacement. If that will change, in that moment, the car industry will change in no time.

I've had the car a week..it is amazing...I game changer
Paying more now sucks but I think the only difference in my choice might have been to consider the LR instead of RWD. I love the RWD but the price difference with the gov incentive made it too much of a price gap to consider the LR.
I had an august 2021 SR+ and now a 22’ LR with ABoost. I can safety say these 2 cars drive totally different.

For the 4k price difference:

1. The AWD in the LR is fantastic during winter driving. The SR+ was good still but it’s rwd. The handling on the LR is better.

2. The power and throttle response on the LR/ABoost is impressive. We’re now talking 0-60 in 3.5 sec vs 5.8 in the SR+ with LFP battery. It’s just a totally diff feel and approaching Model S type power. LFP fyi is not necessarily better in cold climates. Allows charging to 100% but total range went down and 0-60 from 5.4 now to 5.8 from the non LFP. Most of what makes a Tesla feel like a tesla is that amazing torque and EV power.
Even the non ABoost at 4.2 sec is totally different to 5.8.

3. The range is…well that one is obvious. Note in winters range will fall avg 30-35%…40+ on reslly cold days. Starting at 360miles on an LR makes this decline somewhat more irreverent.

4. The stock oem stereo system in the LR/P is miles above the SR+. 14 speakers with a sub and 2 amps vs 8 and 1 amp. The LR M3 speaker system has been reviewed many times and found to be one of the best sound systems in a car overall. The bass/mid/treble is fantastic. It’s a world apart again.

5. Heated steering wheel…incl in LR. Should be coming to SR+ but unsure.

6. Heated rear seats…incl.($300 option on the Sr+)

7. Interior ambient lighting …not on SR+

8. Front fog lights…LR/P only.

For 4k? $3700 if you incl rear seats on the SR+) Obv choice is LR now.

No disrespect to current SR+ owners!! Your car is still awesome by any means.

Last edited:
I had an august 2021 SR+ and now a 22’ LR with ABoost. I can safety say these 2 cars drive totally different.

For the 4k price difference:

1. The AWD in the LR is fantastic during winter driving. The SR+ was good still but it’s rwd. The handling on the LR is better.

2. The power and throttle response on the LR/ABoost is impressive. We’re now talking 0-60 in 3.5 sec vs 5.8 in the SR+ with LFP battery. It’s just a totally diff feel and approaching Model S type power. LFP fyi is not necessarily better in cold climates. Allows charging to 100% but total range went down and 0-60 from 5.4 now to 5.8 from the non LFP. Most of what makes a Tesla feel like a tesla is that amazing torque and EV power.
Even the non ABoost at 4.2 sec is totally different to 5.8.

3. The range is…well that one is obvious. Note in winters range will fall avg 30-35%…40+ on reslly cold days. Starting at 360miles on an LR makes this decline somewhat more irreverent.

4. The stock oem stereo system in the LR/P is miles above the SR+. 14 speakers with a sub and 2 amps vs 8 and 1 amp. The LR M3 speaker system has been reviewed many times and found to be one of the best sound systems in a car overall. The bass/mid/treble is fantastic. It’s a world apart again.

5. Heated steering wheel…incl in LR. Should be coming to SR+ but unsure.

6. Heated rear seats…incl.($300 option on the Sr+)

7. Interior ambient lighting …not on SR+

8. Front fog lights…LR/P only.

For 4k? $3700 if you incl rear seats on the SR+) Obv choice is LR now.

No disrespect to current SR+ owners!! Your car is still awesome by any means.
Yes, the Long Range is a better car (I have one😉) but dollar for dollar (and euro for euro) the standard Model 3 is excellent value👍 The government subsidy is greater and the new battery should be good and the car is a technological tour de force with outstanding performance..........but if you can push the budget get a Long Range (with white interior 😀)

Yes, the Long Range is a better car (I have one😉) but dollar for dollar (and euro for euro) the standard Model 3 is excellent value👍 The government subsidy is greater and the new battery should be good and the car is a technological tour de force with outstanding performance..........but if you can push the budget get a Long Range (with white interior 😀)
Not every jurisdiction has a subsidy!
If there is none, answer is clearer :)

An EV today will lose in 8 years all it's value. Think about that. A new replacement batery today cost 22k for and old 2013 model S. Value of that car today it's 25k running.
Why would an 8 year old EV necessarily need a new battery? It is not like all EVs are like old Nissan Leafs in terms of battery degradation.

Obviously, if a 2013 Model S is worth $25k, there are plenty of people who do not expect it to need a new battery.

Reactions: XPsionic
Obviously, if a 2013 Model S is worth $25k, there are plenty of people who do not expect it to need a new battery.
Only because a 2013 S probably already got a new/refurbished battery by now. ;)

I say that as a January 2013 S P85 owner. It's had new/refurb/updated battery, motor (twice), roof (maybe twice), door handles (all of them), wheels, MCU, subframe, mirror, visors, and I'm sure more I'm forgetting. To me the jury is still out on long-term EV reliability. It also supercharges dog slow these days. Our 2013 S was very much a "beta" car for Tesla, I don't think it's indictive of future EV reliability. I certainly expect less issues with our October 2021 M3P over the same timeframe. And I'm honestly happier paying for its fast supercharging than the old S's painfully slow FUSC. (It used to supercharge faster, though never as fast as the Model 3.)

Obviously despite all the issues we love having an EV over an ICE car, and we trust Tesla enough to buy another one...but probably not an early build of a brand new car again.

I say that as a January 2013 S P85 owner. It's had new/refurb/updated battery, motor (twice), roof (maybe twice), door handles (all of them), wheels, MCU, subframe, mirror, visors, and I'm sure more I'm forgetting. To me the jury is still out on long-term EV reliability.
Except for the battery and motor, the stuff you listed is not EV-specific (maybe Tesla or Model S specific, but not the EV-specific parts of the car).

Perhaps the hybrid world was fortunate in that an early high volume hybrid came from Toyota and had typical Toyota (i.e. good) reliability. If your Model S is typical of Model S cars at the time, then what was available in the early days of volume EV production (early Tesla Model S and Nissan Leaf mostly) may give the opposite impression for EVs that the Toyota Prius did in terms of reliability for hybrids.

Yup for sure the early S as a whole was beta and less reliable than a Toyota. Not just the EV drivetrain. Though the complicated pop-out door handles are part of its EV efficiency story...I think it's fair to label them an EV problem. :)

The only EV Toyota ever sold had a Tesla drivetrain. They haven't made a reliable EV of their own yet. I don't know what Rav4 EV reliability has been like but I've heard just getting parts and service for it can be a pain, too rare and a dead lineage (no more Tesla-propelled Toyotas since then).

Of course every Tesla ever made is a more interesting and desirable car to me than any 4 door Toyota's made in my driving lifetime. My impression of current Tesla reliability is it stacks up okay vs the ICE cars I'd actually want to own. I have a lot of respect for Toyota cars as good, reliable basic transportation. My parent's Camry from 20 years ago was a great basic family car, very very good at what it was designed for. They're just not my kind of cars.

(Special shoutout for the FR-S/BRZ though. Yes half developed by Subaru, and that's quite alright with me! But I've never cross shopped 2 door sports cars with 4 door sedans/hatches/wagons. A 2 door would have to be strictly an extra weekend/toy car for me, and I've never pulled the trigger on one, or even come close. Some day...)