Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla for all the wrong reasons?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had similar concerns to you, which is one of the reasons I went for the grey colour. It doesn't stand out as much and often people don't notice it as an expensive vehicle since it has a similar look to other sedans. However, in red, white or black, they do stand out a lot more. I really like them in those colours, just not for me.

Since you can afford it, go for it. You won't regret it.

My list of pros and cons were very close to yours, except for a Camry hybrid and perhaps less likelihood to travel in bad neighborhoods. I bought an 85D.

Many people are frustrated with what the car industry is producing and appreciate that Tesla is shaking things up. They appreciate that you support Tesla by buying the car, even if they can't. To my surprise, this even holds true in less affluent communities, where I have also gotten positive comments. That said, yes there are angry, frustrated people who will vandalize anything nice and wouldn't give you a pass for having a Tesla.

Nothing says you have to drive the Model S like a sports car and when you don't, you improve your efficiency to boot. Indeed, the usual sports car penalty of a heavy, less efficient motor does not apply. The weight is in the battery, which you have for range. The Model S is fun at any speed. (But you won't be human if you don't enjoy the thrill of the acceleration on occasion.)

A final thought that those of us that want to see the Model Ξ but can afford the Model S can best help the cause by buying a Model S so that Tesla has the cash flow to sustain development of the Model Ξ.

The car still has some rough edges due to pushing the technology. As someone with an understanding of computers, you also help Tesla by being an earlier adopter and providing feedback to improve how the technology is applied.

Bottom line: you want to buy the car for all the right reasons.

The Car, the company, and the man behind it are all exciting. Clearly your excited by this, want to be part of it, and have the means to do so.

Do it!

I wouldn't worry about coming across as pretentious. As cool as the car is, it is also a fairly modest looking sedan - Certainly relative to anything else in its price class. Stay away from red, and you'll be fine :wink:

Also, since performance isn't a factor in your interest, consider the 70D. That seems to hit all your pros.

Ok! :)

I wouldn't worry about coming across as pretentious. As cool as the car is, it is also a fairly modest looking sedan - Certainly relative to anything else in its price class. Stay away from red, and you'll be fine :wink:
Plus red is $1500... must be a premium for those interested in being noticed?! :)

I think it's a super-cool looking car. But then I'm a Computer Science professor, so what do I know. :)

Also, since performance isn't a factor in your interest, consider the 70D. That seems to hit all your pros.
I can't decide between the 70D and 85D. My brother in law (who really likes performant cars) is pushing me toward the 85D. Another thread here said the range is nice, especially in cold weather when the range drops severely.

So, $10K more for 100HP and 30 miles of extra range. It doesn't sound like much money on a $70K car, but then it's the blue book value of my current car, so it's not inconsequential.

I can't decide between the 70D and 85D. My brother in law (who really likes performant cars) is pushing me toward the 85D. Another thread here said the range is nice, especially in cold weather when the range drops severely.

I was personally a little paranoid about wanting to squeeze out all the range I could get, just in case, plus I wanted something more practical and robust. So I went for the 85D with 19" wheels.

Look, you said it yourself. You're in your early 50s. Statistically, you have maybe 20 years to live if you're an average male in the United States. Waiting 3 of those years so you don't get a super awesome car because, heck, you want it, is not 3 years well spent. :)

You're not pretentious. It's not like you're buying an MB S-class out of college because dad gave you a black credit card. If you earned it, it's not pretending.

- K

Look, you said it yourself. You're in your early 50s. Statistically, you have maybe 20 years to live if you're an average male in the United States.
Well, at 52 the average male will make it to 80 in the US. And given I have zero heart disease in my family, probably a bit more...

... unless I buy a P85D, then I won't make it 5 years. :)

Waiting 3 of those years so you don't get a super awesome car because, heck, you want it, is not 3 years well spent. :)
Wow, that's actually a really good point.

I've already decided to buy actually... I just have to figure out which model and which options. Then I might consider financing instead of cash because the rates are insanely low right now.

Model S is a premium sedan with a sports car stance.

And you shouldn't care what people think of you.

Support the Model S because of what the car stands for and is doing for the future of automobiles, and the fact that Tesla is named after Nikola Tesla. Support the most screwed inventor's legacy with the coolest car to make up for it!

And Elon Musk runs the company, the man with the biggest balls that is changing the world.

Lots of other cars are cool, but no car is as cool as a Tesla :wink: And, cliche, but you only live once. We all exist for no reason and have no purpose, make with what we have, and experience the good things in life everyday, that means driving a Tesla! Im sure you've worked hard all your life, you deserve something like this, treat yourself to the future car, you won't regret it, but you might regret waiting too long so dont do that if you have the assets to do so.

Last edited:
  • I don't need a sportscar or a luxury car and neither aspect appeals to me.
  • The Model 3 will be out in 2 years and I could just wait for a "more modest" car. Please talk me out of this!!
  • I hate the idea of being seen as pretentious or being someone who cares about "conspicuous consumption" or displays of wealth.
  • I occasionally have to travel to (and park in) bad neighborhoods. Vandalism target, no? (I'm thinking of keeping my Prius for THIS reason only! But really don't want to own two cars.)

My wife and I were in the same situation. We have dreamed of an electric for 10 years at least, but until the Model S there was no car available that could work as the only family car. We actually had all the same cons as you but went ahead and ordered the car anyway. Due to changes in local tax laws it was buy a Model S now or never own any Tesla (another story).

We didn't need a sportscar or a luxury car either, but it was either Model S or keep driving a Dinosaur-burner and polluting the planet. The reaction we have gotten from everybody has been along the lines of "cool car, looks awesome, thanks for helping the environment". I don't think people even really care about the luxury aspect of the car. I know I don't care that much anymore. For me it is the drive-train and the handling. Smooth, quiet, comfortable and best of all no tailpipe.

I would suggest that if you buy a Model S now, you still have the option to down-trade to a Model 3 with all the toys in 2-3 years. Sure you take a hit on the value, but you also get probably close to 3 (maybe 4) years of ev driving pleasure out of the Model S. If you can comfortably afford the S then get onboard now. The EV train is leaving and it is the best ride ever.

From personal experience nobody has called us snobs or pretentious (at least not to our face). Almost everybody says: "Good for you, us and the planet. When is the cheaper model coming? We want one".

As for bad neighborhoods. My wife is a doctor and we drive late night house calls all over our county including the worst neighborhoods of them all. Last time we did a gentleman, whose standing with the law was very questionable, parks next to us (I'm alone in the car), rolls down his window. A little nervous I roll down my window too. He then gives me the thumbs up and goes: "Man, that's a really cool car, is that the electric car?". I answer yes and that it's great. He then continues with: "Just so you know man, that's like the coolest car ever. And f**k it's fast... Me and my crew love them, cool to see it in our 'hood.".

It goes without saying that I was not expecting how that conversation went.

Buy the Model S right now is my advice, if you can afford it.

I think it's a super-cool looking car. But then I'm a Computer Science professor, so what do I know.

Well this computer scientist turned software engineer agrees with you, for what that's worth. :)

So, $10K more for 100HP and 30 miles of extra range. It doesn't sound like much money on a $70K car, but then it's the blue book value of my current car, so it's not inconsequential.

I have an 85D, but I ordered a few weeks before the 70D was announced. If I had to do it now, I'd probably still do the 85D, on the basis that I could afford it and that no Tesla owner I've ever met has complained of having too much range. There are some equally compelling arguments to go with the 70D though. You just need to see which lines of reasoning make the most sense for you and your individual situation.

As an aside, I find it fascinating that Tesla owners (Model S owners anyway) got our cars for a pretty wide variety of reasons, and we came to Tesla from a variety of other vehicles. That's reflected in the variants and options that we chose, and why we picked them.

Anyway, you mentioned in another post that you've decided to buy. That's fantastic. As one of the many techie Tesla owners, I know you'll enjoy it.

Regarding range, there is an old classic saying attributed to BIG DADDY DON GARLITS regarding HORSEPOWER this is applicable to today's EV's, it goes like this:

IF SOME IS GOOD, THEN MORE IS BETTER AND TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT

So true when it comes to an EV's range.

As a software developer myself, I was compelled by the car. I bought the car for the engineering and technology. And oh, never having to change my oil or go to a gas station wasn't a bad thought too. I work for an Oil and Gas company and was expecting my co-workers to give me crap. On the contrary, everybody loves my car. In fact, many are quite envious. It definitely isnt cheap, but the car is beautiful and you will love driving it. I've wanted the car from day 1 but wanted to give TM a few years to work out their issues. I think they have done that for the most part. There is always room for improvement, but TM is doing a descent job adapting to user recommendations and needs. Definitely, something no other car company can do. Buy the car for all the right reasons, not all the irrelevant issues that will disappear once you own it. I second the recommendation about a dashcam.

Cons
:

• I don't need a sportscar or a luxury car and neither aspect appeals to me.
  • The Model 3 will be out in 2 years and I could just wait for a "more modest" car. Please talk me out of this!!
  • I hate the idea of being seen as pretentious or being someone who cares about "conspicuous consumption" or displays of wealth.
  • I occasionally have to travel to (and park in) bad neighborhoods. Vandalism target, no? (I'm thinking of keeping my Prius for THIS reason only! But really don't want to own two cars.)

Pardon me, I had to laugh at that.

I also think the model 3 would be better suited for me, but I got my S at the end of 2014 with the thinking that by time the 8 year warranty is up it'll be the optimal time to look at the 3

I had the same reservations as you do. I didn't want to look pretentious driving an expensive car. I still got it, because in the end I loved the car, and there's nothing like it on the market.

My solution: At work, I park further away in the garage, so that people don't notice (and so that I don't get door dinged), and only my close friends know, heh, I didn't go posting pictures on social media for everyone to see.

Several observations have been made here and elsewhere about the unusual diversity among Tesla owners. At TMC Connect that was obvious even among the rabid enthusiasts who populated the event. I note that among the Europeans, especially Norwegians, the diversity is even more evident. The only common factor I can observe is that Tesla owners are comfortable with newish technology, but not necessarily really proficient, despite huge proportion of engineers and IT professionals. Financially I am regularly surprised at how many people stretch to afford a Model S. Other vehicles in that price point seem to have many fewer people doing that.

Wrong reasons? I have no idea how to assess that, not even personally. FWIW, I hate big cars, so I wanted a small one this time too. I will probably get a Model III too, just because it will be smaller, as long as I can get all the features/functions/performance of my P85D.

I had very similar concerns, and posted them in this thread a few months back. It wound up being a great discussion and really helped to alleviate some of my concerns.

As a summary of that thread, my biggest concerns were:

1) Cost - even though I could afford it, nothing screams financial blunder quite like spending $100k on a depreciating asset
2) The pretentious factor - I live in an area of the country, in a small town, where if anybody so much as buys a used Lexus...people start saying, "Wow, the Smith's sure are blowing money"

I rationalized the first concern with, it's not quite the same as spending $100k on a new Maserati or S-Class. With as much as I drive, the savings in gas offset the price by quite a bit. Is it still a wise financial move? Would I have been better off putting this money into the market, or buying real estate, etc? Of course. BUT, I also viewed this as more of an investment in my enjoyment and an experience. I'm not exactly an environmentalist (However, I am aware of my impact. Recycle, reuse, etc etc), but this car is crazy fun to drive.

The second concern so far hasn't materialized yet. I was worried what friends or family would think, and I haven't had any negative reactions yet (aside from a brother and sister in law...who have questionable intellect in the first place with all things money). I work in a few towns where my car's MSRP is higher than probably 50% of the home values. However, the car is sexy looking enough...but not TOO much that it attracts a ton of attention. Like others have said, as long as you don't go crazy with the color or put flashy wheels on it...you'll blend in. People that know cars will notice it. They will know that they don't recongize it, and you'll see them strain their necks as you drive by with a confused look on their face. Every now and then, you'll see one react as soon as they realize its a Tesla and quickly punch the other person in the car in the shoulder and point to your car (that's always fun). I'm always taking an informal poll of how many people notice and how many don't. I'd say a good 75% don't notice it. Now, if I was driving around in the BMW i8, 99% would notice it and I would very uncomfortable hopping how to go to my post office box. In the Tesla, I feel just as comfortable as I did hopping out of my Tahoe.

You've already made your decision, as I did just a very few posts into my thread. You will NOT regret it. Welcome to the family.