Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla Model 3 AWD - advise needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only question you need to ask is how far it is from your breaker box to your garage. You need a dryer plug (NEMA 14-50) in your garage, and that has to be run from the breaker box that serves your garage. In general the longer the run, the more you will pay. Hopefully you have available power in your breaker box else you will pay even more (possible service and/or breaker box upgrade).

If you don't like remembering to pack up your charge cable OR plan to own two Teslas at once then you can get a Tesla wall charger. If you will only own one Tesla all the wall charger gets you is a 25% increase in charge speed (~32 MPH vs ~40 MPH charge), but if you will own multiples you can chain them together and it will balance charging load to both cars. I bought a charger because I got a good deal and because I forgot to pack my charge cable during a road trip once. The wall charger takes a little more time to install than the 14-50 outlet, but otherwise has similar wiring requirements.

I'm considering requesting a quote to install a charger in my garage. Does that sound like a good idea in general? not sure if i have a 240V in the garage... doubt i do.

Only you can decide the $$ vs. 0-60 tradeoff. AWD vs. RWD involves more $$$ vs. 0-60 tradeoff. Even the RWD is quicker than most cars in the real world use case. I have both an AWD and a RWD. The AWD is definitely quicker but the RWD isn't slow. At times I wish I had gotten the Performance because I have had a number of sports cars over the years and the RWD car handles the long trip needs.

If you want to track the car then the answer is obvious because only the Performance has track mode. If it is a daily driver with long trips then RWD moves to the top of my list. My RWD (really my partner's) is the trip car. The extra 50 miles or so is great on a trip and has enabled us to skip Superchargers the AWD with 19" rims would have had to stop at.

Well the RWD is no longer an option from what i see correct? the one they offer is lower range.

I'm considering requesting a quote to install a charger in my garage. Does that sound like a good idea in general? not sure if i have a 240V in the garage... doubt i do.
Yes! I am a big fan of using the Tesla wall connector. It means I leave the mobile connector in the car and makes charging super quick. I can't argue against the economics of putting in a 14-50 plug but since I use the connector all the time the difference in cost was worth it for me. Get the connector with the longer cord. The cost is the same.

Reactions: windgrins
Only question you need to ask is how far it is from your breaker box to your garage. You need a dryer plug (NEMA 14-50) in your garage, and that has to be run from the breaker box that serves your garage. In general the longer the run, the more you will pay. Hopefully you have available power in your breaker box else you will pay even more (possible service and/or breaker box upgrade).

If you don't like remembering to pack up your charge cable OR plan to own two Teslas at once then you can get a Tesla wall charger. If you will only own one Tesla all the wall charger gets you is a 25% increase in charge speed (~32 MPH vs ~40 MPH charge), but if you will own multiples you can chain them together and it will balance charging load to both cars. I bought a charger because I got a good deal and because I forgot to pack my charge cable during a road trip once. The wall charger takes a little more time to install than the 14-50 outlet, but otherwise has similar wiring requirements.

Will the quote on the tesla ordering page take care of that part of things as well? I'd say it isn't too far actually. The breaker box is behind the garage.

You can obtain a LR RWD 5 mi. inventory car by contacting your local Tesla store. I bought April build date car in April, from "inventory".
You can get a RWD "off menu" by calling or visiting a showroom.

Source: An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup
[last paragraph]

I think this option does not include AP however and it's only $2000 less than the AWD with AP option... so if range is really important to you, know what you will be giving up to get this configuration.

Will the quote on the tesla ordering page take care of that part of things as well? I'd say it isn't too far actually. The breaker box is behind the garage.
People seem to have mixed feelings about the electricians they've hired through Tesla. There's nothing magical about them and nothing difficult about installing a 14-50 or a Tesla Wall Connector. Any qualified electrician can handle it.

PM me for a couple references for electricians local to you. (We're neighbors.)

Reactions: windgrins
My experience only, YMMV:
The range chart referenced above is useful, and the 19" wheel and tire combination does negatively impact efficiency and range.

However range conversations often skip the fact that you'll rarely charge to 100% and you'll probably not run down to 0% so your "real world" range is not anywhere near the theoretical max range of the vehicle.
For example; if you charge to 90% and leave about a 1/4 "tank" in reserve, you only have 65% of the theoretical range to work with. Factor in the range hit for your wheel and tire choice and you may only have 50% of the theoretical range available on a daily basis.

Cold weather has a significant impact on range (more than I expected). I don't live in a cold climate and I noticed a big impact. Your climate, and your use of: heater, seat heater, defroster, etc. will all impact your range.

I chose the Performance+ version and love it. I honestly don't think anyone "needs" the performance. To anyone who asks I would recommend the Long Range AWD, with 19" wheels.
I don't like the look of the "Aero" wheel covers and I think the 19" wheel/tire combo offers a good compromise of performance, handling, braking, reasonable sidewall, and style.

Regarding charging, I went overboard and installed a Tesla "High Power Wall Connector" with a 60 Amp circuit at work and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at home with a 50 Amp circuit.
I also got a second Mobile Connector Kit to leave in the car while the other stays in my garage at home. The Tesla Wall Connector charges at at about 42 "miles per hour" while the Mobile Connector with 14-50 charges at about 27 "miles per hour"

I would recommend finding a local electrician to install the 14-50 on the largest breaker (up to 50 Amp) your existing panel will support. Depending on your local regulations, I would avoid a GFCI breaker as the mobile connector already has this functionality and will trip the breaker.

Just my thoughts after about 8 months and 12,000 miles.

It's a great car, Best of luck!

Reactions: ammulder
Questions I would ask:
1) Where are the plugs to connect to the std 120 or the 240 (it was shown to me and was nice)
2) Ensure you're given a proper tour of the features of the car
3) Go around the car a thoroughly check it (I didn't do it very well, was too excited so I missed some minor problems)
4) Ask the email and/or phone number you have to call in case you find some quality issues you didn't catch on point 3)
5) Ask for the sticker price
6) Ensure you're given the mats (unless it's SR/SR+)
7) Try the wheel alignment
8) Enjoy the moment.

I don't like the look of the "Aero" wheel covers and I think the 19" wheel/tire combo offers a good compromise of performance, handling, braking, reasonable sidewall, and style.

If you take the Aero covers off and put the $50 decorative kit on then the Aeros look quite nice as long as you don't mind dark rims.

Your comment about range reminds me of discussing speed in airplanes. The difference in speed between two planes gets magnified when flying into a strong headwind. Similarly, doing the range reductions you mentioned magnifies the difference. The 50 mile or so range difference between my RWD on Aeros and my AWD on 19's is meaningless day to day. On long trips it becomes huge for just the reasons you mention.

Reactions: 16Coma
Yes! I am a big fan of using the Tesla wall connector. It means I leave the mobile connector in the car and makes charging super quick. I can't argue against the economics of putting in a 14-50 plug but since I use the connector all the time the difference in cost was worth it for me. Get the connector with the longer cord. The cost is the same.

Tesla now sells the same unit with a 14-50 plug or you can buy the same charger that comes with the car for $300. It is limited to 32 Amps instead of 40 Amps so a bit slower and a bit cheaper. But having the unit in the garage is a smart move. But I would recommend the pluggable unit instead of hard wired.

My 2 cents.
I recommend the performance model if you are interested in it. I got it in mid-March. My 16 year old daughter always reminds me of yolo. If you can afford it, and you want it, then get it. You will not regret it. I bought 19" rims/tires for winter in Chicago. Cost was ~ $2,500, so factor that in. I got black rims on black car and it really shows off the red calipers. I got the Tesla wall charger and had to add a sub-panel to my circuit breaker box since we have a pool and all breakers were full.

If you truly don't care about the gain in speed or larger brakes w/red calipers, track mode, etc. Then get the AWD LR. For me, it just makes the car even more fun to drive, (responsibly of course).

Its kind of like buying a tv. Do i really need a 75" screen from 18 feet away? Probably not, but I certainly don't regret buying that either.

ymmv

If you take the Aero covers off and put the $50 decorative kit on then the Aeros look quite nice as long as you don't mind dark rims.

The base wheels without the covers look pretty good in my opinion. I do like the 19" more, though. Just personal aesthetic preference. I do think the tires on the 19's do make a noticeable difference in handling, if you're into that sort of thing.

Your comment about range reminds me of discussing speed in airplanes. The difference in speed between two planes gets magnified when flying into a strong headwind. Similarly, doing the range reductions you mentioned magnifies the difference. The 50 mile or so range difference between my RWD on Aeros and my AWD on 19's is meaningless day to day. On long trips it becomes huge for just the reasons you mention.

Exactly this. If you charge nightly the range thing is a non-issue for all but the longest daily commutes. However, on a trip, it can be a real factor. Get the longest range you can afford.

By the way; I have literally never used that second Mobile Connector I got. I have used Superchargers on a few occasions.

Thanks All. So much to take in, almost overwhelming. So if i get an AWD, non-performance, should i aim for the 18inch tires or 19inch? Range is more important for me than most things. Ergo why again performance lost out, among the other reasons.
18 inch will give you the option of more efficiency/range with the aero caps on, and a sharp look with the aero caps off, plus more sidewall if you are concerned about de-rimming your tires. If you don't like how the 18 inch wheels look with or without the aero caps on, you may want to opt for the 19s.

18 inch will give you the option of more efficiency/range with the aero caps on, and a sharp look with the aero caps off, plus more sidewall if you are concerned about de-rimming your tires. If you don't like how the 18 inch wheels look with or without the aero caps on, you may want to opt for the 19s.

Thanks, not worried too much about the look. I'm generally a more practical person, kinda why i can't justify 10k for performance though it makes me sad.

Reactions: Rex Kramer
@maseren

Way too much negativity and crying over the Performance version. Don't listen to only practical reasoning - sex appeal matters too.

It has its challenges, but if you are a virile guy who wants to drive like a bat out of hell at every stop at light AND STOMP EVERYONE ELSE - there is only one car to fill that need.

My top consideration on AWD vs P would be "holding period".

Loses are steeper on a P if you let go of it soon, say 3 years. 5 years or so, the depreciation curve is more favorable in relative terms.

10K over 5 years is $2,000 per year, $167 per month. Find a way to earn or save $167 per month. For that sum, ZL1 Corvettes cower in your presence.

After a few years or maybe 1st set of tire exchanges (I have not decided), I can just switch to 18" or 19".

My car will still be 3.3 0-60.

reports i have seen on here regarding pothole damage, the expense of the tires etc

Anything is possible. You might hit a pot hole the first day. Or you may never hit one the whole time you have the car. Cannot live in fear over everything.

One angle if you are really squeamish which I considered was selling off the 20" tire setups and getting replacements day one but that also has time + money annoyances. I would do this if it meant the difference between getting or NOT getting a 3P.

In the end, I decided to enjoy my 20" wheels/tires and see where it takes me.

Remember.. everyone dies.. not everyone truly lives.

Last edited:
I got the AWD and was comped 19" wheels as it was taking forever to get 18" wheels. They work great, but replacement options are expensive and limited in that size. I figure that if I get concerned about winter performance I can always get a second set of wheels from tirerack pre-mounted for something like 800 plus the tires. That isn't a ton of money, and in 18" there are many tire options. From what I've read the 19" performance tires do work better. I can't compare the two but I will say that the car handles very well on the 19" tires - even with all that power I don't get any spinning/etc.