Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2017 or 2018 Model X 75D....good idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
I just realized that there are some used Xs in the 40s on Tesla's site.

Is it worth it or too many issues? What's the current real range of a 75D?

I really need a 6 or 7 seat EV and there aren't many affordable options.

A used X might be a good possibility especially if appreciation has already taken a big hit.

But range needs to be decent and it needs to not have too many problems.

I just realized that there are some used Xs in the 40s on Tesla's site.

Is it worth it or too many issues? What's the current real range of a 75D?

I really need a 6 or 7 seat EV and there aren't many affordable options.

A used X might be a good possibility especially if appreciation has already taken a big hit.

But range needs to be decent and it needs to not have too many problems.
Curious, too. I might be in the market soon and have been weighing a used X vs a newer used Y and would love to hear some experienced feedback for a small family.

Reactions: cdub
I have both, a 2017 x100d and a 2023 performance y.
The x is definitely a cushier car, suspension much better.
Also ours is a 6 seater. Very useful transport vehicle. The y is less boaty handling, more fun on a windy road but I’d rather ride in the x in the rear seats. Y seems cramped.
Range to me not that important since there are superchargers everywhere where I live. I’ve had very little problems with the x, and the fsd works great. Fwd have been a non issue, makes it easy to get into 3rd row.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and El joe
2016 P100d owner here. Over all the MY is a better designed vehicle. What f you are hauling 5 passengers the 6 seat X is probably easier to get in and out of and more room in the third row.

Suspension on the X will cost more than the Y to repair. MCU 1 cars I would avoid or plan to spend the 2500$ to upgrade. Tires on the X are expensive the front rear stagger means you cannot rotate fronts to rears. Front axles wear out way too fast.

My guess is the X will cost at 2-3 times as much to keep on the road than the Y does just for average repairs.

If road tripping the X will spend not quite twice the amount of time charging. (Starting at 20% I added 84 miles in 17 minutes).

Get the X because you want to be cool and drive a unique vehicle. Get the Y because you value overall practicality more than coolness.

What's the current real range of a 75D?
Keep in mind that the rated range from Teslafi is not giving you info on the actual miles between recharging. That will vary between drivers and where/how the car is being used.

Get the X because you want to be cool and drive a unique vehicle. Get the Y because you value overall practicality more than coolness.
I agree with your comparison and overall assessment that a new Y vs an old X is the better choice for many people. I don’t agree about the cool factor of the X. The showiness of the falcon wing doors was in the negative column for me, but I have found them to be extremely practical. We have used our 2017 MX like a workhorse, transporting lots of stuff with it, and those doors have been a godsend for loading and unloading.

Is it worth it or too many issues?
All cars are a gamble and a used car is even more so. Since being out of warranty, my 2017 MX has been pretty trouble free. But a recent issue with the molding around the driver’s door has taken 4 service appointments, still isn’t right, and has been hundreds of dollars.

I can tell you about our 2018 MX. Last year we had the HV battery replaced. I don't think it was due to a battery issue but more about the battery heater circuit.
We have had our CV half shafts replace due to a minor vibration and well, it's back again. Not noticeable but I can tell it's there every now and then. Had our console tighten once. Uh, that's it really. No FWD issues to write home about. oh 12V battery replaced twice but that's normal. I can't confirm if there was a FWD redesign on the 18 but I would check if you were looking for a 17. We have thought about trading it in for a Plaid but at their trade in offer, I'm just going to keep it. PPF from the beginning and has helped it stay looking new.
I would say to try to find a 100 battery. Range is not the best and if you do any towing, you will want the little extra. I say that but around town and on trips, there are many Superchargers that are available.

Love my 2019 Standard range, but it also has the Raven changes, for better range and suspension. Even with aftermarket wheels, I can actually hit the EPA rating on the highway, if I keep it around 70. At 80 it's all bets off for range.

Assuming I like the CyberTruck, it will be for sale around that time.

I bought a 18 MX 75D 6 seat with MCU2 and has been great no issues, range wise it has been good for my needs, I keep it at 80% during week and on weekends if we go out farther I charge to 90% since usually it is a packed car on weekend. Real world range is based on driving speed and well if normal or spirited driving. I keep my ride height at standard level and my X is on 22" wheels and have not had any issues with tire wear.

I had an 2016 S75 and I think the range was barely enough. I was getting about 200 miles at 100% charge when I decided to sell it.

I also had an 2016 X90D and the range was about 220miles at 100%. The battery was replaced under warranty and I think it got up to about 250. I sold right after getting the new battery.

Would I buy a X75D? Absolutely not. I don't think the range would be nearly enough. In any case, I don't think I would buy another X. The X had 3 or 4 times more issue than the S ever did. You can search my post and see some of the issues I had.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and cdub
I agree with your comparison and overall assessment that a new Y vs an old X is the better choice for many people. I don’t agree about the cool factor of the X. The showiness of the falcon wing doors was in the negative column for me, but I have found them to be extremely practical. We have used our 2017 MX like a workhorse, transporting lots of stuff with it, and those doors have been a godsend for loading and unloading.
I completely agree with this. I wasn't overly excited about the FWD at first because I owned exotic cars in the past that lead to some negative attention, culminating in vandalism. Until you open those doors the MX is often mistaken by the public as a MY and doesn't draw as much attention as when I got my early production M3. Living with the FWDs I've found them to be extremely practical. In very tight spaces I can get things in and out of the back seat when, with my M3, I couldn't get the back door open wide enough to be able to reach in. I've only gotten a few "are you for real???" or "oh, for god's sake!" comments from the public, which I ignore. I also find the self-presenting front doors to be something I never knew I couldn't live without. Two back surgeries later, twisting and pulling a wide open car door has become downright painful. With my MX it does all the work for me and I absolutely love it. Coming from a Mercedes S350 before the M3 as my commuter car, I am so happy to be riding on air suspension again. The suspension of my M3 would rattle your fillings out.

That all being said there is a lot more to go wrong on the MX than the MY and once out of warranty things could get very expensive. That is why I'm keeping the MX for commuting but have a MY on order for road trips. I test drove a 2023 MY and the suspension, while still no where near as comfortable as the MX, is years ahead of my old M3. If I could afford (and justify) a brand new MX I would forget the MY and drive the piss out of it.