Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2017 Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to purchase extended warranty immediately. You'll have the option to purchase at any time up till warranty expiration. I would hold off till you are close to warranty ending to determine if the extra warranty would be worth it to you.
Not correct. The Tesla extended warranty can only be purchased by the original owner. A second owner can't buy it (but it will convey with the car if the original owner buys it and then sells the car to someone else).

This is just not sounding like a very good deal anymore. I have a 2017 S 75RWD. August build, so it is AP2.5. The invoice was 69,000 and after state and federal rebates it was 59,000.

Assuming the amounts are correct, after you unlock the battery and assuming you buy an extended warranty you are into it for about 58,000. Considering it has 50,000 miles on it, this just does not sound like a good deal.

At a minimum, I would ask him to split the extended warranty with you. That is a very reasonable request.
Did you buy it straight from tesla brand new?

Okay so now knowing what I know it is a Tesla Model 2 2016 60kWH (but has 75 kWH i just need to pay to upgrade software also it was manufactured around december 2017) with around 47,500 miles on it. It has Enhanced Autopilot 2.0 with all 8 cameras/sensors around the car. It has premium interior with suede alcantara inside ,premium sound, panoramic sun roof. It comes 19 inch painted wheels, along with that he threw in the all weather floor mats, panoramic sun roof shades, car cover and the 20 ft charger. Also has free supercharging for life. I did test drive it and when I drove it made 0 noise no rattling no noise what so ever slamming it from 0-60. I am paying $51,750 for it. I'm just trying to think if it 100% a good deal because this is my first Tesla and first real car I am buying in a while (coming from an Acura TL 2005). Lowkey panicking because I plan on buying it tomorrow. Any help or any future advice is also very appreciated, thank you.

Okay so now knowing what I know it is a Tesla Model 2 2016 60kWH (but has 75 kWH i just need to pay to upgrade software also it was manufactured around december 2017) with around 47,500 miles on it. It has Enhanced Autopilot 2.0 with all 8 cameras/sensors around the car. It has premium interior with suede alcantara inside ,premium sound, panoramic sun roof. It comes 19 inch painted wheels, along with that he threw in the all weather floor mats, panoramic sun roof shades, car cover and the 20 ft charger. Also has free supercharging for life. I did test drive it and when I drove it made 0 noise no rattling no noise what so ever slamming it from 0-60. I am paying $51,750 for it. I'm just trying to think if it 100% a good deal because this is my first Tesla and first real car I am buying in a while (coming from an Acura TL 2005). Lowkey panicking because I plan on buying it tomorrow. Any help or any future advice is also very appreciated, thank you.
everyone will have an opinion, mine as a person who just got a Per owned from Tesla last month would be that's a bit hight for a 60 RWD TMS. Having said that, Tesla has 0 60-75's with AP2 on them with unlimited super charging for sale at this time (that i could find on EV-cpo.com) what they have runs 46-58k based on year options etc. I got a 2016 TMS 90D Loaded for $51700 with 52k so it came with the 2 years 100k mile warranty. The TMS your getting will have its warranty expire 4 years after its was manufactured (sold usually in the same month) or 50k which ever comes first unless original owner purchased an extended warranty (some rumors are 2nd owners can buy one, but I've only had my car 3 weeks so I have not looked into that personally yet). Make sure you did a carfax check, called a service center and asked them to confirm the unlimited super charging (unless you saw his original bill of sale, it will be on that as a line item like premium interior) and AP2. People are nice and all, but never trust someone selling a car, ask for proof. AP1 can do most things AP2 can do now, and for many people is good enough. Dual motors is great for weather conditions but if you live in an area where weather isn't really an issue RWD should be fine. IF everything is right on Carfax and with the service center, ask if the owner would purchase an extended warranty for you before you buy the car. Piece of mind on a driving computer as a first time EV owner couldn't hurt even if you never need it. Almost everyone who drives a Tesla loves the drive and the car, just wish Tesla would work on their customer support and communication! Best of luck! hope this was a help!

everyone will have an opinion, mine as a person who just got a Per owned from Tesla last month would be that's a bit hight for a 60 RWD TMS. Having said that, Tesla has 0 60-75's with AP2 on them with unlimited super charging for sale at this time (that i could find on EV-cpo.com) what they have runs 46-58k based on year options etc. I got a 2016 TMS 90D Loaded for $51700 with 52k so it came with the 2 years 100k mile warranty. The TMS your getting will have its warranty expire 4 years after its was manufactured (sold usually in the same month) or 50k which ever comes first unless original owner purchased an extended warranty (some rumors are 2nd owners can buy one, but I've only had my car 3 weeks so I have not looked into that personally yet). Make sure you did a carfax check, called a service center and asked them to confirm the unlimited super charging (unless you saw his original bill of sale, it will be on that as a line item like premium interior) and AP2. People are nice and all, but never trust someone selling a car, ask for proof. AP1 can do most things AP2 can do now, and for many people is good enough. Dual motors is great for weather conditions but if you live in an area where weather isn't really an issue RWD should be fine. IF everything is right on Carfax and with the service center, ask if the owner would purchase an extended warranty for you before you buy the car. Piece of mind on a driving computer as a first time EV owner couldn't hurt even if you never need it. Almost everyone who drives a Tesla loves the drive and the car, just wish Tesla would work on their customer support and communication! Best of luck! hope this was a help!

Thank you this does help me compare to like other's etc and help determine if I want to go through with this purchase. I'm going to push for extended warranty. I also forgot to mention this has the front fascia so thats also a plus because I really dont like the cone imo. but thank you again for your help!

ahh okay cool to know, Should I be buying the extended 4 year/50K warranty bumper to bumper? I dont know if I should be cause the 8 year unlimited warranty covers drive train and battery but not like any other malfunctions but I dont know if any will arise later since right now its perfect (i.e. the door handlebars etc)

X-Care can cover this vehicle with these rates. X-Care has half the deductible than the Tesla ESA has ($100 vs $200) and covers towing, trip interruption, roadside, and works around Tesla Service and Mobile service.

For a 2017 Model S w/ 46,000 miles

4 year and 50,000 miles
Coverage until 4/2023 or 96,000 miles
$4,599 ($4,499 with Referral)

6 year and 75,000 miles
Coverage until 4/2025 or 121,000 miles
$5,299 ($5,199 with Referral)

We will also price match if your Tesla ESA if its lower than what we are offering.

Vendor - Tesla Extended Warranty - Special Rates and Price Match!

Referral = "XcelerateTMC"

Attachments

• X-Care EV Brochure.pdf
    566.1 KB · Views: 49
Did you buy it straight from tesla brand new?
Yes. Although I did get 1k off using referral code and 1k off for being an inventory car. Also did not have any auto pilot. It was brand new though, I picked it up right after it was produced.

Did he show you the invoice? How much was that car new? I imagine it was similar in price to mine.

And, not trying to bum you out, everything about that deal sounds fine to me except for the mileage.

Take pictures and show us the interior and exterior so we can at least help with the physical bits. I'm no expert on what to look for but I do own one so I can tell you what I would look for.

1. What model is it? 75D, 100D, or P100D?
2. The estimated range at 90% charge.
3. Does it have Enhanced AutoPilot or Full Self Driving package?
4. VIN number for insurance research to see its accident history. If any.
5. Ask if there is anything needing worked on and hope for an honest answer.

There are checklists floating around here on this forum that people use when they take delivery. Here is one that is fairly old, but maybe it will guide you to check out other things! Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide
Thank you for the information!

image0.jpg

Thank you who have helped me make the decision <3
Now I just need to register it so i can take control of the app etc :(

I have just learned that the car was actually manufactured in 2016 in December but has the new body and enhanced autopilot but has not paid for the FSD in the future. The car is near 50K Miles is this still a good deal at around $52K?
Only you can be the judge of that. I bought want many call a unicorn. 75D, facelift, AP2, free super charging, FSD late 2016 S. With 10,856 miles. But best price I could find was 60K. I bought in November 2018. There was and still is very few cars available with this equipment. Currently the nearest I see is a 2017, 90D with no FSD or free super charging. It's 68K.

Where? EV-CPO currently has zero 75's with AP2 listed.

You don't have to purchase extended warranty immediately. You'll have the option to purchase at any time up till warranty expiration. I would hold off till you are close to warranty ending to determine if the extra warranty would be worth it to you.

Not correct. The Tesla extended warranty can only be purchased by the original owner. A second owner can't buy it (but it will convey with the car if the original owner buys it and then sells the car to someone else).

Just to let you know @Jaciee was correct here. Owners can buy the ESA after purchase. See my post here: General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

Reactions: Jaciee

Did you mean December 2016?

I purchased a 2016 Model S 75 with 17K miles in November 2018 directly from Tesla in South Florida. It was manufactured on 9/16, it has the facelift, free supercharging, AP1 and pano roof. It was first listed on the Tesla website on 10-22-18 for $63,100. I bought it 11-09-18 for a bit under $51,000. I have the 4 year, 50K warranty and I have already put it to use. The front seat was making a lot of noise and it was fixed at no cost. Also, one the remotes stop working and it also replaced for free. Black with Tan interior and black Alcantara headliner.

IMG_7795.JPG

Regards,
Alex