Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used 2017 Model S without AP and FSD. How much to add each?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you own the vehicle, you can go into your My Tesla account and the price for EAP and FSD should be listed there. Whomever you buying it from can also log into their account right now and share a screen shot with you of the costs.

I think the "firesafe" for EAP and or FSD ended earlier this year, so it's back to the original "post purchase" price I believe.

I'm trying to buy a 2017 Model S from a used dealership. It has the EAP hardware, but not the software. Since this is a model originally purchased before 2019, is the upgrade cost $2000 for EAP? or is it more?

Please call Tesla up to make sure you can buy EAP and FSD because some owners had a hard time to do just that (it's the policy, even some AP1 owers were not allowed to buy EAP post-delivery, not the money issue).

The original pre-delivery price:

EAP...$5,000.00
FSD...$3,000.00
---------------------
Total=$8,000

The original post-delivery price:

EAP...$7,000.00
FSD...$5,000.00
---------------------
Total=$12,000

There was a March Madness sale that I could not keep track of the prices since then.

It's possible that Tesla has waived post-delivery penalties because you can't find it on the order page anymore.

Once you own the vehicle, you can go into your My Tesla account and the price for EAP and FSD should be listed there. Whomever you buying it from can also log into their account right now and share a screen shot with you of the costs.

I think the "firesafe" for EAP and or FSD ended earlier this year, so it's back to the original "post purchase" price I believe.
Thank you but I think it would be tough to do this as I'm buying from a dealer. The original owner probably doesn't even have access anymore. What do you think? Still possible?

Please call Tesla up to make sure you can buy EAP and FSD because some owners had a hard time to do just that (it's the policy, even some AP1 owers were not allowed to buy EAP post-delivery, not the money issue).

EAP...$5,000.00
FSD...$3,000.00
---------------------
Total=$8,000

EAP...$7,000.00
FSD...$5,000.00
---------------------
Total=$12,000

There was a March Madness sale that I could not keep track of the prices since then.

It's possible that Tesla has waived post-delivery penalties because you can't find it on the order page anymore.
That's what I'm unsure of as well. Not sure if the pricing penalty is still around. I was hoping the price would be the same as back in February, where it was only $2000 for the EAP upgrade. Not sure if they offer that for existing owners (I already have a Model 3 with FSD)

Here is what I think Tesla will tell you:
  • You can't buy Enhanced Autopilot anymore. Instead, you can buy Basic Autopilot for $3,000. It includes Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control but doesn't include Summon, Autopark or Navigate on Autopilot.
  • If this car was produced before 9 Aug 2017, then it will have AP2.0 hardware and Tesla won't sell you FSD because the retrofit is too difficult and costly. However, if it was produced after 9 Aug 2017, then it will have AP2.5 hardware and Tesla will sell you FSD for $6,000. So in total, it will cost $9,000.
Notes:
  1. You can buy Model 3 SR without AP and add AP for $3,000 before or after delivery. FSD is $6,000 before or after delivery.
  2. By retrofit I mean AP3.0. That will be needed for FSD features that haven't been released yet.
  3. I believe FSD can be added to AP2.0 cars as long as the car is still owned by the same person who owned it before a certain deadline. I don't know the exact deadline but my best guess is early March 2019.

Last edited:
Here is what I think Tesla will tell you:
  • If this car was produced before 9 Aug 2017, then it will have AP2.0 hardware and Tesla won't sell you FSD because the retrofit is too difficult and costly. However, if it was produced after 9 Aug 2017, then it will have AP2.5 hardware and Tesla will sell you FSD for $6,000. So in total, it will cost $9,000.

Are there postings about people being denied the ability to buy FSD on AP2.0 cars? Part of the reason I went with an AP2.5 car was that after doing some research I didn't believe Tesla would ever support "FSD" on the AP2.0 sensor suite and had my concerns about what they'll do for the people on AP2.0.

...I didn't believe Tesla would ever support "FSD" on the AP2.0 sensor suite and had my concerns about what they'll do for the people on AP2.0.

Why the doubt? Money talks!

If an owner got built-in HW2 but didn't pay for FSD, then it is understandable that Tesla can change the terms and conditions on how they deal with HW2 and FSD.

However, once an owner has fully paid for FSD, that is a binding contract and Tesla will have to provide FSD regardless of the sensor suite issues.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Are there postings about people being denied the ability to buy FSD on AP2.0 cars?

Check out the topic here: Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

Here is my understanding of the situation:
  • Full Self-Driving can be added to Autopilot hardware version 2.0 if the car is still owned by the same person who owned it before March 2019
  • Full Self-Driving can't be added to Autopilot hardware version 2.0 if the car was sold after March 2019 and the new owner wants to add FSD

EAP...$5,000.00
FSD...$3,000.00
---------------------
Total=$8,000

EAP...$7,000.00
FSD...$5,000.00
---------------------
Total=$12,000

"March madness" also redefined what EAP and FSD means - a bunch of EAP features got moved to FSD. Bottom line, original (pre-march'19) EAP includes everything that today's EAP+FSD car has. Actual FSD features, as per original definition, have yet to be delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Why the doubt? Money talks!

If an owner got built-in HW2 but didn't pay for FSD, then it is understandable that Tesla can change the terms and conditions on how they deal with HW2 and FSD.

However, once an owner has fully paid for FSD, that is a binding contract and Tesla will have to provide FSD regardless of the sensor suite issues.

I personally just doubt it. They will 100% have to upgrade the sensor suite of AP2.0 cars to AP2.5 levels if they ever achieve true FSD. It's simply uneconomical and unsustainable (and with less redundancy) to support the AP2.0 sensor suite. It was less than 1 years worth of S+X production that shipped with AP2.0, so that's what, 100K cars? Take rate on FSD back during the AP2.0 days was lets say 15% (I think I saw a number around there, but I'm really just guessing here). That's 15K cars with AP2.0 and FSD paid for.

They simply aren't going to develop, test, validate, and get government approval for FSD on a set of cars that small. So they'd have to upgrade them if they have any chance of doing TRUE FSD.

Now the rumors are that owners with AP2.0 can't add FSD anymore, which means Tesla believes that the cost of upgrading AP2.0 cars to AP2.5 is more than what they can feasibly charge for FSD.

They will have to decide whether they want to upgrade the owners to AP2.5 hardware or if they can get away with offering refunds on FSD and dealing with a few lawsuits from buyers who refuse the refund because they want FSD and purchased their car because they were promised FSD on it. Those lawsuits can be settled for some reasonable amount of money probably or they can offer them an upgrade to an AP2.5 car (of which they will have many used ones on hand).

That's the reasoning I came to after my research and thinking about the situation. I decided to just save some cash and buy an AP1 car but then Tesla had their big inventory clearance in March and I ended up with a showroom AP2.5 P100D with EAP /shrug