Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used - what max mileage would you buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope to be in this position soon. Wanting to do the (former) CPO route so will try to get one with as little mileage as possible but absolutely get one with the 4 year 50k CPO warranty if I can afford it. Like docbrown said, its all about warranty.

Right about here:

when buy.jpg

Reactions: gt2690b
If all the main components have been replaced on the classic ones then mileage is really irrelevant. Its all about how the car looks and how worn out it is. There are some with low mileage that look like they have been abused and there are some that have over 100,000 that look brand new.

I drive a lot, so when I saw the warranties of 4/50,000 miles ore 2 years/ up to 100,000 miles the latter was actually a better deal for me. My car feels like new looks like new and it was one of the last fully refurbished cpo cars (sometimes I wonder if mine broke the bank) I now am close to 80,000 miles 1 year later. and it is awesome. I have had no issues. If you do buy a higher mileage car, I would recommend going with a lighter color paint. the dark colors get beat up by rock chips. I chose pearl white because it is a multi coat paint and as soon as I got it I had it wrapped.. it still looks like new. (well except for the crack in the windshield that happened last week and that will be replaced soon at not cost thanks to insurance) I LOVE my higher mileage 2014 p85

I thought the obvious response was "it depends." It'd depend on the price, how I want to use the car, warranty, condition of car, and features. What we were looking for in a Tesla was solo-HOV access eligibility in California, sunroof, air suspension, no AP, a price where we would not need financing, at least 2 years of warranty coverage, and at least 170 range mile capacity. Supercharging, dual chargers, tech package, and 256 range mile capacity were just the cherries on top. I'd be willing to go up to $45K, though I managed to buy one for just under $40K over the holidays.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer
Miles don't matter.

I test drove a 2013 P85 with 127,000+ miles, had a 253 full charge and drove amazing. Interior was in amazing condition as well as the paint but the interior reeked of cigarette smoke so it was a major pass

It's about the condition of the paint and mainly the interior

A Tesla with 100,000 miles can drive the same as one with 1000 miles

Reactions: bart_dood
A year and a half ago I bought a 2014 P85 with 62k miles.
One of the chargers is compromised is a dual charger 80amp capable car but only pulls 72amps they say it dropped a phase. I paid $300 to swap that one to secondary position rather than $2200 replace, car will charge at 72amps.
TPMS module went out not wheel sensors module jambed up CanBus disabling the car. Was $628 but needed new wheel sensors anyway so let's call it $400. Day after I picked it up from that repair the pack heater went out disabling the car again, Tesla ate that on Goodwill.
I live in a cold salt environment -3f out right now brakes need frequent maintenance or they bind in the caliper and buying aftermarket and doing the work yourself it will be $6-700. Ranger explained it toe.when he came out to swap the 12volt for $220, was too late for my car I had to buy the new brakes but that work is something I am comfortable with.
Now I have a rear right suspension rattle which I suspect is a bushing, will dig further when I swap the rear rotors and pads.
Cold weather electricity costs are much higher than summer.
All in this thing probably has the highest cost of ownership of any car I have owned but I still love it.
Has 83,xxx miles on it so all the repairs I listed are 19months 18k miles.
Full charge was 256 when I bought it now is 243 but I believe if I cycle the pack down low and back to full it will recover some, already had recovered a bit one time I got 237 as full but my habit of 30-60miles a day with 70-80% charge limit is known to make the BCM estimates drift downward.

Sorry that was so long but it strikes me as relevant. I did spring for 4 year maintenance right after I bought it that was $800 and they said the car had been well cared for and 4 year maintenance was done on miles would have been early based on time. VIN is 42,xxx range.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I took delivery of a July build, 2014 P85 CPO with 55,000 miles. It came with a four year, 50,000 mile B to B warranty as well as the remaining 8 year unlimited miles drive train/battery warranty. I have had a couple of minor issues, but they were taken care of quickly and under warranty. Tesla even replaced a tire(free of charge) that got a bolt through it on the day after I picked it up. Kudos to Tesla.

I bought from a used, 3rd party dealership 2014 Model S 85 at 88k miles. No extra options really except 21" turbines, center console, and a tint job. Purchase price was under $40k. I've had a few minor things, but nothing enough to make me not want the car. Biggest expense was most recent where I couldn't supercharge. The charger (1st gen) went out. I was told it was replaced with a more reliable 2nd gen. $2500 after parts, labor and fees. Apart from that, nothing major. 12V battery replaced for $210, and window regulator replaced when I first got it for something like $400. We've since put about 25k miles on it in a year. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: bigbear
I bought my 63k mile 2015 85D non performance with pretty much every option but rear facing seats on Dec 26th 2018. Purchase price was $39K from a 3rd party dealer. No issues other than I’m still waiting on the title (apparently a common problem). I searched/waited for about 4 months before the right one came up.

I always buy my cars used with higher miles (normally 80+k) and in cash. Based on my research and that I will add 70k mikes before getting another car, I would have gone up to 120K miles for the right deal.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
I think the high mileage Teslas are probably a good deal. Priced traditionally like an ICE on its last legs, but actually ready to go for many more miles. While the general condition of the car is important, the number of miles is nowhere near as critical as it was for ICE.

Reactions: Benjanos