Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing static noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I just tried turning off the ambient lighting. The buzzing sound is still there. I also tried shutting off other lights and accessories. Good suggestion, but, unfortunately, no luck on this one. There is a slight delay from when you first enter the vehicle to when the buzzing switches on. If the car has been sleeping, the delay is slightly longer. You can clearly hear the buzzing sound “switch” on. When you power down the car using the MCU (touchscreen), the buzzing shuts off.

at my recent service, I was told possibly a firmware could fix the issue but honestly, I doubt it. I was told because there is a more powerful CPU, the fans have to work extra hard to keep it cool :rolleyes: I don’t think much effort was put into identifying the source of the noise when it was being checked out.

Okay, I just tried turning off the ambient lighting. The buzzing sound is still there. I also tried shutting off other lights and accessories. Good suggestion, but, unfortunately, no luck on this one. There is a slight delay from when you first enter the vehicle to when the buzzing switches on. If the car has been sleeping, the delay is slightly longer. You can clearly hear the buzzing sound “switch” on. When you power down the car using the MCU (touchscreen), the buzzing shuts off.
Exact same issue and symptoms observed, and even more interesting, I have noticed it only starts when one is seating in the driver's seat, if you are alone in the car and in the passenger's seat, the sound does not start until one slides across to the driver's seat.

Exact same issue and symptoms observed, and even more interesting, I have noticed it only starts when one is seating in the driver's seat, if you are alone in the car and in the passenger's seat, the sound does not start until one slides across to the driver's seat.

Okay, I know this is a lot to read. But, here is some test data and notes I provided to Tesla. It may be worth trying out some of this to see if you get the same results:

-------

Model X Audio Buzzing Problem

DESCRIPTIONS

Problem:

An abnormal buzzing or static sound can be heard coming from the vehicle speakers.

“Fan(s)”

Refers specifically to the fan sound is coming from the center to RH side of the dash. The sound is louder when the glove compartment is open.

“Contactor”

A muffled sound similar to an electric contactor coming from the LH front interior of the vehicle. The sound has more of a “thud” sound which differs from the “click” sound heard from a typical small relay.

“Buzzing”

The noise/static sound coming from ALL of the interior speakers when the problem occurs. The sound comes on instantaneously and is more pronounced in the higher frequency midrange and tweeter speakers located in the front dash. The sound can also be heard, however, while placing your ear near the falcon wing door speakers.

CONDITIONS

Buzzing occurs predictably 100% of the time and under all conditions. During the multiple tests I performed, the outside temperature has been between 45-70 degrees. The vehicle was both indoors and outdoors and had been sitting for at least an hour. The problem is NOT limited to a specific location. Buzzing can be heard with or without electronic devices in the vehicle. The number and position of passengers does NOT affect the sound. However, for testing, I sat in the front passenger side of the vehicle. The audio input source has NO effect. The audio system volume does NOT affect the buzzing (including mute level) except for the ability to wash out/overwhelm the buzzing sound once the volume reaches a high enough level (usually a setting of 3 or 4+). The volume level of the buzzing does not change - it never gets louder or softer.

OBSERVED BEHAVIOR PATTERNS

Behavior “A” - Buzzing begins ~7-9 seconds after driver’s door is unlocked and opened;

Behavior “B” - Buzzing begins immediately after driver’s door is unlocked and opened;

Behavior “C" - Buzzing begins ~131 seconds after driver’s door is unlocked and opened.

BEHAVIOR “A”:

This is the most common behavior experienced when the vehicle has been sitting for at least an hour. To achieve Behavior A, the vehicle has to be powered down with the doors locked and the specific “fans” (described above) completely off. Even when the vehicle is powered down manually using the Touch Screen, these specific fans will continue to run at low speed until the “contactor" (see description of contactor above) finally thumps. Five seconds after the contactor thumps, these specific fans will run at high speed for five seconds and then shut off completely.

BEHAVIOR “A” TEST:

This test was performed multiple times while sitting in the front passenger seat with nobody in the driver’s seat and while holding the key fob. The driver’s door will be opening and closing throughout the testing.

0:00 - Three clicks to close and lock all doors.

0:06 - System powers down, relays heard clicking, buzzing sound stops and screens go off.

—fans can still be heard running continuously at low speed.

1:35 - Contactor thump sound heard.

1:41 - Fans ramp up to high speed for five seconds.

1:46 - Fans shut off completely.

***perform these steps after the fans shut off completely

0:00 - Two clicks on the key fob to unlock and open the driver’s door

0:06 - Screens go on, audio system functional, fans ramp up to low speed. Audio system works normally.

0:15 - Buzzing sound starts and will not stop again until the vehicle is powered down completely.

BEHAVIOR B:

This behavior occurs when the vehicle is exited, locked and the screens are powered down. If reentry occurs before the contactor thumps (usually within ~95 seconds of locking the vehicle under the conditions described above), the buzzing sound starts immediately when the driver’s door is unlocked and opened.

BEHAVIOR B TEST:

This test was performed multiple times with one person sitting in the front passenger seat as well as while standing outside the vehicle with the window down and nobody sitting in the vehicle. The driver’s door will be opening and closing throughout the testing.

0:06 - System powers down, relays heard clicking, buzzing sound stops and screens go off.

— fans can be heard running continuously at low speed.

***perform these steps BEFORE the contactor thumps and/or the fans shut off completely

0:30 - Two clicks on the key fob to unlock and open driver’s door while fans are still running at low speed.

0:31 - Screens power up and buzzing sound starts immediately.

BEHAVIOR C:

This is an interesting behavior which actually causes the buzzing sound to be delayed following entry. This behavior can be achieved by sitting in the passenger side of the vehicle with nobody in the driver’s seat, clicking the key fob three times to close and lock all of the doors and then double clicking the fob to unlock and open the driver’s door after the contactor thumps but before the fans stop running.

BEHAVIOR C TEST:

This test was performed multiple times while sitting in the front passenger seat with nobody in the driver’s seat and while holding the key fob. The driver’s door will be opening and closing throughout the testing.

— Fans can be heard running continuously at low speed while waiting for contactor sound.

1:46 - Contactor sound heard after ~100 seconds.

1:50 - Immediately, two clicks on the key fob after contactor sound but before fans stop.

1:53 - Fans ramp up to high speed and run continuously.

— No buzzing for the next ~2 minutes. Audio system works immediately and normally.

3:34 - Exterior lights shut off.

3:53 - Fans shut off completely after running at high speed for ~2 minutes.

3:58 - Fans ramp up again to low speed.

4:07 - Buzzing starts and will not stop until the vehicle is powered down completely.

-------

Recently while driving from Florida to Ontario I had this buzzing noise several times. Looking around I always noticed some kind of radio transmission tower in the vicinity. My deduction is that this buzzing noise is very strong radio interference pick up by some of the Tesla antennas.

Is this the same Buzzing Noise the rest of you are hearing? I've been complaining about this to my SC since purchasing the car and have taken it in to them at least 10 times, always get a "cannot replicate" or "normal" when I go, regardless of all the videos like this I've sent them.

Is this the same Buzzing Noise the rest of you are hearing? I've been complaining about this to my SC since purchasing the car and have taken it in to them at least 10 times, always get a "cannot replicate" or "normal" when I go, regardless of all the videos like this I've sent them.

This is the same noise but what I confirmed on my friends X was a little bit less.

Hello
I feel that I should share this issue with you all. Got my Tesla Model X 2 months ago. Today, a weird buzzing noise started coming out of the speakers even when the radio and all media is off. It only goes off for few seconds if I push the Voice Command button on the steering wheel but the noise comes back once the voice command goes off. Turned the volume down all the way but the noise is still coming out and loud.
I wonder if any of you had this issue and if you did, what solved this problem? I am definitely calling the service department tomorrow.
Sam A-what ever happened with your noise? This happened to me with no warning and scared the heck out of me. I had to drive for an hour with this horribly LOUD noise. Accidentally discovered that it went away by using the voice control. As suddenly as it started, it stopped and hasn't come back.

My car is currently at the SC, and they've found the issue (Think i brought it in 7 times for this!)! They are the coolant pumps behind the instrument panel causing it.

SC is waiting on parts, will see when I pick up if its gone away

Its not AP 2.5 related, mine is AP 2

Don't know if my experience is related, but I only get the buzzing sound infrequently when playing Slacker. It has never happened with the radio. The buzzing is at a fixed volume regardless of the music volume. I am pretty familiar with high end audio equipment and imho, the buzzing is not due to distorted sound. It is something separate from the music playing. At least for me, if I skip forward on Slacker, the buzzing goes away. My MX is still pretty new and I've only come across this 3 times since 6/5. Definitely interested to see if this is the same issue.