Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

By the way, no spare tire? right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most newer cars don't have spare tires anyway so it's not a big deal, I guess.

I'm with you though. Coming from an older car where spare tires have saved my *sugar* more than once, it's going to be quite an adjustment to my peace of mind; however, if I'm going to splurge on a new car, I'm probably going to want to keep it in tip-top shape and so will maintain the tires a little more, even if it means a few extra bucks here and there.

I'm sure you can purchase a spare tire, although it won't be cheap. I've seen Tesla quote a few people north of $1k for the wheel and tire as a spare.

The move is toward self-sealing tires. They are starting to replace runflats. Next generation stuff.

I can't imagine the M3 not having them at least as an option. The Bolt is coming with Michelin Self-Sealing tires.

The move is toward self-sealing tires. They are starting to replace runflats. Next generation stuff.

I can't imagine the M3 not having them at least as an option. The Bolt is coming with Michelin Self-Sealing tires.

Do these tires require a special rim? The reason I ask is if the rim is setup for this type of tire does it prevent using a normal tire later?

This would be extremely annoying for me... The 2005-2007 Odyssey Touring had run flats and EVERYONE is changing their rims to get rid of the requirement of the tire. The cost is insane on the tire. Thankfully they realized the error of their ways and made them optional from 2008 to 2010 and now they are not even available.

Do these tires require a special rim? The reason I ask is if the rim is setup for this type of tire does it prevent using a normal tire later?

This would be extremely annoying for me... The 2005-2007 Odyssey Touring had run flats and EVERYONE is changing their rims to get rid of the requirement of the tire. The cost is insane on the tire. Thankfully they realized the error of their ways and made them optional from 2008 to 2010 and now they are not even available.

For EMT's I've only had runflats so far, but if I understand it right, self-sealing is just a layer of sealant in a normal construction tire. You can buy them now IIRC.

You know, in 20 years of driving, I have only once used the spare (on a friend's car) and it was still driveable when we changed it out. On one hand, it pains me to think of the amount of extra gas burned and CO2 released purely from carrying a spare around, but on the other hand I do appreciate the peace of mind that it affords.

I'll probably get Tesla's tire repair kit if it doesn't already come with the car. It will offer half-peace of mind (it wouldn't help sidewall slashes) and give me a way to fill tires at home so I REALLY don't ever need to go near a gas station (that part makes me happy).

For the Model S, it seemed to be a combination of weight savings and the availability of free 24hour roadside assistance as the reasons for not including a spare tire. I would guess that it'll be the same for the Model 3.
For me, it's not a huge deal to carry a can or two of Fix-A-Flat in the frunk. It'll fill the space quite nicely ;)

• Funny
Reactions: pedriscoll
For the Model S, it seemed to be a combination of weight savings and the availability of free 24hour roadside assistance as the reasons for not including a spare tire. I would guess that it'll be the same for the Model 3.
For me, it's not a huge deal to carry a can or two of Fix-A-Flat in the frunk. It'll fill the space quite nicely ;)

Unless the puncture is on the side wall of the tire

My Leaf came with a special inflator and a can of sealant that you attach to it that will inflate the tire and seal the puncture. Nice not having to lug a spare around but still haven't gotten to road test how well it actually works (hope I don't have too...)

Unless the puncture is on the side wall of the tire

IMG_0480.jpg

Are you saying that it's not a normal tire? we have to buy a "Tesla" special tire?
Not necessarily.

I remember people calling Tesla up and inquiring about a spare, and they seemed pretty confused and wondered why you would want one. You can buy a single wheel/tire from Tesla, but it's a ton of money and it's not something they offer standard.

I'm sure you can also just pick up a similar sized spare elsewhere that will probably do the trick in a pinch.