Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

By using the air conditioner, how much does it affect the range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been contributing to the "Model S" thread over at The Gear Page - Powered by vBulletin (excellent forum, btw, for musicians).

A question came up on how much impact using the AC has on range, and I don't know the answer.

Would someone please educate me?

EVTripPlanner does a great job at predicting battery usage for verious conditions. Put in your route and push the temps up and down to see how much range is affected.

I've been contributing to the "Model S" thread over at The Gear Page - Powered by vBulletin (excellent forum, btw, for musicians).

A question came up on how much impact using the AC has on range, and I don't know the answer.

Would someone please educate me?

Thank you!

Here's a direct link to the thread:

TESLA MODEL S - The Gear Page

It's not noticeable. There will be larger natural variations due to weather and wind that will obscure any noticeable effect from the air conditioner's energy consumption.

The compressor is variable speed, so it doesn't always use the same amount of energy. Mostly it's fairly minor 10-30 Wh/mile but a lot depends on how you use it, how hot the weather is, whether you can pre-cool from shore power, etc. I never hesitate to use the a/c and my average Wh/mile is reasonably low.