Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYD Blade Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
From main thread:
The BYD balde LFP battery is currently around $92 kWh,

Raw materials for LFP are $8 kWh....

If Tesla make in house LFP batteries I can see them getting to a range around $55-$75 kWh by say 2023, perhaps lower...

I agree with most of your comment,, energy storage prices will drop, and that will unlock extraordinary amounts of demand.
As with vehicles < $100 kWh unlock a lot of demand... So the Tesla energy business growing much larger is very likely, increasing margins slightly likely if retail price drops lag production price drops..
Tesla is reportedly going to buy BYD's new 'blade batteries' in an unlikely partnership

From AutoEvolution all new BYD cars will use that Blade Battery - also

" The Blade Battery is produced by a BYD spin-off called Fudi Battery. Since the start of production in March 2020, the company has set eight production lines for them, with a current capacity of 20 GWh. The plan is to produce up to 35 GWh in the same factory in Chongqing "

IF the BYD Blade for Tesla China rumor is true, my take is that Tesla will use BYD's for its MZ 25K car, at first ; just to get started . Like they are going 2170 for the Austin MY until the 4680 battery is ready. The dry process of the 4680 once fully debugged for mass production should be a lot less expensive to run, I recall there is no need for time consuming wet *ode production. When 4680 production by Tesla/ CATL ramps up and can meet demand, then Tesla will switch to 4680's. As Elon has said, they much prefer to have as little variety of components as possible.

In the end, it's good news, then, shooting for 2Q22 for MZ production in Shanghai.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
2Q22 for MZ production in Shanghai was a good guess: from the Electrek article quoted above,

"Chinese media CLS reports that Tesla will be buying BYD’s blade batteries for deliveries in Q2 2022:

The Financial Associated Press, August 5, the reporter learned from a number of people familiar with the matter that BYD is about to supply Tesla with “blade batteries” in the second quarter of next year. The Tesla models currently equipped with “blade batteries” have entered the C-sample test phase. In this regard, BYD said it “does not comment.”

BYD refused to comment, but it didn’t deny the report, while Tesla didn’t comment at all. "

IF the BYD Blade for Tesla China rumor is true, my take is that Tesla will use BYD's for its MZ 25K car, at first ;
It's almost certainly for 3/Y SR. The current pack using CATL LFP is a kludge that qualifies for a lower subsidy tier than Blade. Almost certainly heavier, too. Blade is structural and might even work seamlessly with the new structure designed around 4680.

It's almost certainly for 3/Y SR. The current pack using CATL LFP is a kludge that qualifies for a lower subsidy tier than Blade. Almost certainly heavier, too. Blade is structural and might even work seamlessly with the new structure designed around 4680.
Do you have comparative energy density numbers? I thought CATL had better cell level density than BYD so the pack level difference may not be significant.

Do you have comparative energy density numbers? I thought CATL had better cell level density than BYD so the pack level difference may not be significant.
MIIT filings showed LFP Model 3 at 125 Wh/kg and BYD Han at 140. Those are breakpoints for subsidy multipliers, 125 is 0.8x and 140 is 0.9x. I think the 1.0x threshold is 160 Wh/kg. The Model 3 LR packs were in the 150s, IIRC, with the original imported NCA packs a bit higher than the NMC ones.

I was surprised the packs with CATL LFPs were so low, until I saw pics of a teardown. It's a quickiie hack design, not at all optimal.

Tesla is buying 10 GWh of LFP from BYD.
That works out to 150k cars @ 67 kWh or 133k @ 75kWh

The conclusion appears to be based on combining two different claims.

A VP at BYD said "we will soon supply batteries to him" (Elon) with 0 specifics or numbers or details whatsoever.

Then the story goes on to mention 3 different rumors from the last year or so-- one of which was a 10 gwh order for LFP batteries... (the other 2 were about other rumored BYD orders including one claim they were ordering blades for THIS current quarter (Q2) production)

Considering batteries will be the biggest constraint in 2023 this is good news. Any and all batteries Tesla can acquire at a reasonable price will be needed. Jordan Gieseke of The Limiting Factor has a good youtube video that focuses on the BYD blade battery.

Youtube link to The Limiting Factor: BYD blade batteries

So are these 18650, 2170 or something else?

Reactions: mongo
Yeah, BYD LFP is a BFD. They were quoted in the tweet: (image below)

"Earlier this year, there were further rumors on Chinese social media that Tesla had officially placed an order with BYD's battery manufacturing unit FinDreams Battery for blade batteries for 204,000 units per year."​

BYD statement

This is roughly the same number of additional Models 3 we would expect annually from the Giga Shanghai Phase 1 (Model 3) expansion plan. So this BYD contract could just be the provisioning of battery packs for that production growth. Significantly, that expansion brings Tesla China to over 1.0M units per year run rate, as soon as Q3 this year.

N.B. 204k bty packs per year is enough for about 4,200 Models 3 per week (less holidays). That's quite close to what we'd expect as the run rate for a new Model 3 line at Giga Shanghai.

Cheers!

The BYD Blade cells are a large format prismatic cell that BYD have turned into a semi-structural member. They are effectively a thin but deep prismatic cell with the length of the cell extending across the pack to allow it's stronger casing to act as a partial structural member/beam.

Jordan at the Limiting Factor did a deep dive on the BYD Blade cell and generally had good things to say about them:

They would likely be supplied as a structural cell to pack assembly similar to the way CATL supplies Tesla China with it's LFP packs. So these should be an alternative battery supply source for SR+ LFP M3 and MY.

Reactions: petit_bateau