Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to TMC iPlug !

I'd love to see the mega-corps enter the Alt-tissue market but it strikes me as similar to the Detroit Auto makers trying to compete Vs Tesla. They are shackled by huge sunk costs, long term contracts, massive special interests and a legion of managers who only know how to plasti-wrap slaughtered animals for consumption.

SageBrush - the large corps realize how far behind they are (aka how much market share they've already lost and unprecedented negative growth throughout their traditional sectors) and are compensating by buying out every alt-tissue and plant-based meat start-up they can. The amount of money being showered onto the natural/organic/alternative foods markets is insane - and scary. They were definitely slow to catch on, as can be expected, but believe me they are trying to cash in, fast!

Considering corporate greed, I would think a transition to more plant based products would better suit such avarice. They could have more control of supply chains and lower costs, no?

Suppose much of this depends on if and how much the major corporations own of the meat producing side of things vs. plant side.

Huge fan of Beyond and their burger, but the rationality of short interests with TSLA and BYND is quite different.

Tesla has no current viable competitor nor serious competition right around the corner. They will continue to become established as #1.

Not so with Beyond. Beyond already has one serious contender (Impossible) and now the establishment is unleashing their products into this segment. They (Tyson, Hormel, Nestle, etc) will sell their burgers at cost if they need to to buy market share. Beyond will therefore not be able to both sell their products at a significant premium and maintain large market share. This portends poorly for BYND stock price.

Still, wishing Beyond well and hope their products remain in the meat section of stores and on the menus of restaurants.

Huge fan of Beyond and their burger, but the rationality of short interests with TSLA and BYND is quite different.

Tesla has no current viable competitor nor serious competition right around the corner. They will continue to become established as #1.

Not so with Beyond. Beyond already has one serious contender (Impossible) and now the establishment is unleashing their products into this segment. They (Tyson, Hormel, Nestle, etc) will sell their burgers at cost if they need to to buy market share. Beyond will therefore not be able to both sell their products at a significant premium and maintain large market share. This portends poorly for BYND stock price.

Still, wishing Beyond well and hope their products remain in the meat section of stores and on the menus of restaurants.
Tyson, etc. Also have well established distribution channels so it's easy for them to just add another product. No secret to making a vege burger.

Tyson, etc. Also have well established distribution channels so it's easy for them to just add another product. No secret to making a vege burger.

This is exactly the same rhetoric I see being spewed about Tesla. Saying there’s no secret to making a GOOD vegan burger is like saying there’s no secret to making a GOOD BEV. Being willing to sell at a loss to gain market share is the same thing bears say about ICE incumbents. I could go on. The parallels are uncanny but I’m not buying any of it. I don’t think BYND has quite the same moat as TSLA, but they are definitely way ahead of the competition....

Reactions: JRP3
This is exactly the same rhetoric I see being spewed about Tesla. Saying there’s no secret to making a GOOD vegan burger is like saying there’s no secret to making a GOOD BEV. Being willing to sell at a loss to gain market share is the same thing bears say about ICE incumbents. I could go on. The parallels are uncanny but I’m not buying any of it. I don’t think BYND has quite the same moat as TSLA, but they are definitely way ahead of the competition....
I think the recent pathetic BEVs from the entrenched competition shows that it while it is relatively easy to make a mediocre BEV, it is really hard to make a great BEV and that Tesla is 5-10 years ahead.
OTOH, Beyond, Impossible, etc. ... it's hard to tell the difference.

Reactions: iPlug
I think the recent pathetic BEVs from the entrenched competition shows that it while it is relatively easy to make a mediocre BEV, it is really hard to make a great BEV and that Tesla is 5-10 years ahead.

Beyond and Impossible are both amazing and quite similar. However they are two small companies in a multi-billion (maybe trillion?) dollar market. I don’t think them competing against each other will really affect either one. It’s also important to note that they have spent years and billions of dollars in R&D, so they do have a significant lead. Not to mention the brand recognition (same as Tesla). The incumbent meat companies on the other have not yet shown an ability to make anything better than a mediocre product. I think you guys are falling into the same trap/mentality as Tesla bears.

I am not so sure about this. I suppose it depends how much their genetic engineering is protected by copyright and how easy it is to steal.

The analogy would be someone saying that once a battery cell is broken down into its chemicals it is (relatively) straightforward to build a copycat Gigafactory.

The USPTO offers little patent protection for food stuffs, unlike technology. When they do offer protection, it is more often for GMO related intellectual property or very specialized/novel manufacturing processes. Trade secrets usually cover most processes but are not legally protected. Competitors may “independently discover” or frankly reverse engineering most recipes with impunity.

AFAIK, Beyond is non-GMO, so will have minimal defenses to protect its recipe from copy-cats.

Impossible has GMO soy leghemoglobin, so has some protection there, but from a technical aspect, it is legal and not particularly difficult to make other GMO hemoglobin and myoglobin variants/moieties as they are already part of the biology of "advanced" life forms such as ourselves.

The USPTO offers little patent protection for food stuffs, unlike technology. When they do offer protection, it is more often for GMO related intellectual property or very specialized/novel manufacturing processes. Trade secrets usually cover most processes but are not legally protected. Competitors may “independently discover” or frankly reverse engineering most recipes with impunity.

AFAIK, Beyond is non-GMO, so will have minimal defenses to protect its recipe from copy-cats.

Impossible has GMO soy leghemoglobin, so has some protection there, but from a technical aspect, it is legal and not particularly difficult to make other GMO hemoglobin and myoglobin variants/moieties as they are already part of the biology of "advanced" life forms such as ourselves.

Please tell me about all the GMOs in Coca Cola ;) And yet after all these years, no one can replicate the taste of coke....

Eating plant based is just healthier.
Eat more vegetables, fruit, greens, beans, seeds, onions and berries.
Eat less or no meat, eggs, dairy, cheese or fish.
You will reduce your risks for high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer.
The meat, dairy and egg industries will fight with money, advertising and FUD.

assuming low mercury content, fresh fish is extremely healthy for you to eat...

Reactions: mspohr