Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree with the majority of your sentiment, I think you perhaps overestimate the general populace's capacity if you think that the ability to cook beans, grains, and rice is widespread. Most people couldn't even make a salad, and if they did, unhealthy salad dressing would be used.
Cooking beans, grains, and rice is easy. Making a good salad is hard.

Cooking beans, grains, and rice is easy. Making a good salad is hard.
For those who have cooked their whole lives, most cooking is pretty easy. You'd be surprised at people who struggle with making palatable beans, grains, and/or rice when they're accustomed to bombarding their tastebuds with high fat, high salt, artificially sweetened food lab concoctions.

I know the kids at school who eat a lot of candy, because they don't really like fruit. Someone asked my kids what fruits they liked and they listed every one they could come up with. Palates get shifted by the foods we regularly eat.

I completely agree (soak/drain/boil is hard to get wrong, fresh/filling/tasty salad is an art) but I believe we are in the minority... I especially feel this way knowing how skilled a home chef you are :D
I'm not that skilled. And beans are a lot easier with a pressure cooker so you don't have to plan ahead for the soaking (which is why I believe most people don't cook beans).

Another good reason to stop eating meat...
Op-Ed: This new coronavirus was preventable. But we never seem to learn the lessons of former outbreaks

If we want to forestall the evolution of ever-newer, and possibly deadlier, human-adapted viruses, live animal markets must be permanently shut down. Until the Chinese government outlaws these markets, until factory farms housing millions of animals are eliminated, until we take the inevitable logic of disease evolution into account, novel, and potentially deadly, human diseases will continue to arise. Again. And again. And again.

Another good reason to stop eating meat...
Op-Ed: This new coronavirus was preventable. But we never seem to learn the lessons of former outbreaks

If we want to forestall the evolution of ever-newer, and possibly deadlier, human-adapted viruses, live animal markets must be permanently shut down. Until the Chinese government outlaws these markets, until factory farms housing millions of animals are eliminated, until we take the inevitable logic of disease evolution into account, novel, and potentially deadly, human diseases will continue to arise. Again. And again. And again.
Hmmm.

This is a common opinion amongst those that study the question and I'm sure that it would help but I wonder if it is not just a band-aid to something more basic: humans are vectors. It is less a matter of live animals and more a matter of humans turning the animal kingdom into a goulash.

This is one of the mostly unrecognized advantages of plant based diets: human and plant genes do not easily mix.

Incidentally, I read the other day that after the SARS Coronavirus outbreak these markets were shut down. So either it was in part or they have returned.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

This is a common opinion amongst those that study the question and I'm sure that it would help but I wonder if it is not just a band-aid to something more basic: humans are vectors. It is less a matter of live animals and more a matter of humans turning the animal kingdom into a goulash.

This is one of the mostly unrecognized advantages of plant based diets: human and plant genes do not easily mix.

Incidentally, I read the other day that after the SARS Coronavirus outbreak these markets were shut down. So either it was in part or they have returned.
The problem is that keeping live animals in close, unsanitary conditions is a breeding ground for viruses which evolve until they can pass to humans. The "wet markets" in China were closed for a short time after SARS but reopened. SARS came from a wet market and this new virus also. People haven't learned.

The problem is that keeping live animals in close, unsanitary conditions is a breeding ground for viruses which evolve until they can pass to humans. The "wet markets" in China were closed for a short time after SARS but reopened. SARS came from a wet market and this new virus also. People haven't learned.

The wet markets' lack of basic hygiene really doesn't help.

China announced a ban on single-use plastic bags, to be phased in. Major cities by the end of 2020, all cities and towns in 2022. Except "markets selling fresh produce" will be exempt until 2025. "Markets selling fresh produce" is a lot of markets in China.

The wet markets' lack of basic hygiene really doesn't help.

China announced a ban on single-use plastic bags, to be phased in. Major cities by the end of 2020, all cities and towns in 2022. Except "markets selling fresh produce" will be exempt until 2025. "Markets selling fresh produce" is a lot of markets in China.
That sounds pretty ridiculous. What is so hard about bringing a bag ?

Incidentally, I've noticed that BYOB is becoming the norm at the Sprouts we go to. I'm glad to see it, but then I notice the bags being filled up with just about everything wrapped in plastic if not in a box (with plastic inside.)

We have a long way to go

Reactions: JRP3 and jerry33
That sounds pretty ridiculous. What is so hard about bringing a bag ?

Incidentally, I've noticed that BYOB is becoming the norm at the Sprouts we go to. I'm glad to see it, but then I notice the bags being filled up with just about everything wrapped in plastic if not in a box (with plastic inside.)

We have a long way to go
The bags that people bring in are a significant source of contamination. It is important to thoroughly clean any reused bag. No easy answer, but single use bags must be avoided unless truly recyclable.

UK supermarkets move to cut antibiotic use in farming

UK supermarkets move to cut antibiotic use in farming

Antibiotics are not used to treat viruses, but overusing antibiotics allows farmers to keep animals much more densely packed than would otherwise be possible, and in these conditions new viruses can rapidly emerge and flourish.

We don’t know where the coronavirus has come from – it could have come from wild animals,” said Nunan. “We do know that the way antibiotics are used in intensive farming allows more animals to be kept in close proximity and in those conditions we know viruses can evolve and spread. So there is an indirect link.”

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
'Live animals are the largest source of infection': dangers of the export trade

'Live animals are the largest source of infection': dangers of the export trade

The growth of the live animal export trade will make the spread of diseases more likely, experts have warned.

Almost 30% more pigs, goats, cows and sheep were shipped, flown and driven across the world in 2017 than a decade earlier, according to the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization.

“There are several drivers of spreading diseases, but live animals are the largest source of infection,” Dewulf said. “The more you are going to move animals, the more you run the risk that diseases will be spread through these animals. There are other routes, the virus can be transmitted in meat products for example, but it’s much more efficient to transmit via live animals.”

Here's What Meat-Eaters Really Think of Veganism, According to a New Study

It seems that practical matters of taste, price, and convenience are the main barriers preventing more people from adopting veganism – not disagreement with the fundamental idea.
This could have major implications for the future of the food industry as meat alternatives become tastier, cheaper and more widely available.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Make ban on Chinese wildlife markets permanent, says environment expert

Make ban on Chinese wildlife markets permanent, says environment expert

A temporary ban on wildlife markets in China to curb the spread of coronavirus is “not enough” and should be made permanent, a prominent Chinese environmental leader has told the Guardian.

Echoing calls from experts worldwide who have denounced the trade for its damaging impact on biodiversity as well as the spread of disease, Jinfeng Zhou, secretary general of the China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation (CBCGDF), said the ban failed to address the root cause of the outbreak, which was poor regulation and high levels of illegal trade.

The temporary ban has put the spotlight on China’s poorly regulated wildlife trade, which is driven by the country’s appetite for traditional medicines and exotic foods. Before Huanan seafood market was closed on 1 January, it contained 30 species of animal, including live wolf pups, salamanders, golden cicadas, civets and bamboo rats.

Animals sold in these markets are often kept in filthy conditions and left to fester in their own waste, which means they incubate diseases that can then spill into human populations. Similar markets are found all over the country and have been the source of outbreaks in the past