Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA EV Rebate - Income limitations on last or current year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed an order for a Model 3..but didn't know there was a limitation on income qualification until today.

From my understanding, if you make 150k+, you can only get the HOV sticker and do not qualify for the CVRP rebate. The weird catch being only a portion of applicants are chosen to prove their income.

Last year I made less than the cap, this year I will make more. Does the CVRP rebate look at last year's tax return, current income, or taxes filed at the end of this year?

Is there any reason not to submit a request for the HOV sticker (with or without the CVRP rebate)? CVRP/DMV's verbage is a bit confusing as to who qualifies for what.

I have searched through the forums, but some of the information either seems outdated or doesn't apply to my situation.

Thanks!

Just placed an order for a Model 3..but didn't know there was a limitation on income qualification until today.

From my understanding, if you make 150k+, you can only get the HOV sticker and do not qualify for the CVRP rebate. The weird catch being only a portion of applicants are chosen to prove their income.

Last year I made less than the cap, this year I will make more. Does the CVRP rebate look at last year's tax return, current income, or taxes filed at the end of this year?

Is there any reason not to submit a request for the HOV sticker (with or without the CVRP rebate)? CVRP/DMV's verbage is a bit confusing as to who qualifies for what.

I have searched through the forums, but some of the information either seems outdated or doesn't apply to my situation.

Thanks!
I didn't request sticker because purple is too ugly and I can get full 4 years if I apply next Jan.
Other than that, I think anyone is eligible regardless of income or rebate.

I didn't request sticker because purple is too ugly and I can get full 4 years if I apply next Jan.
Income Eligibility

as a single filer, your gross income has to be less than 150k to qualify

Thanks!

Just apply. If they select you, submit last years. Worst case they complain and you have to repay it eventually but it's not like you are committing a felony or anything.

They ask for a Tax transcript and it States the year that they ask for. So if you request a sticker in March/April, most likely it will be transcripts from 2017. If June 2019, it may be Tax transcripts from 2018. Just look at the 4506-T form when you apply. Take notice of the prefilled year.
https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site.../transportation/cvrp/CVRP_IRS_Form_4506-T.pdf

So as of this post it shows 2018 taxes. The PDF link updates in March of each year.

Income Eligibility

as a single filer, your gross income has to be less than 150k to qualify
I'm talking about the HOV sticker. Not aware of any restrictions.

I made too much income in 2017 to qualify. We purchased our first M3 in December 2018. I knew if I submitted the rebate they would ask for 2017 returns. I called them and asked them what to do. They said that if I believe I would qualify based on my 2018 income I should wait until April to file for the rebate. Beginning in April they will requests transcripts for 2018 returns instead of 2017. It is intended to be the most recent year for which you are capable of requesting an IRS transcript.

If your income in 2019 is below the threshold you can just wait until next year to apply. You will still get a sticker good for four years from when your decals are issued.

Thanks!

Really? :rolleyes:

Thanks!
Last year. Just submitted mine and was not required to provide proof. I had the opposite concern, that they would look at 2017 income since 2018 was just filed and likely not in the IRS computers yet. If selected for proof, you sign a form authorizing the IRS to provide your returns to the State.

Thanks!
If you are married and file jointly the cap is 300k. Depending on your situation that may be an easier bar to stay under.

Also if I recall it's a choice between either the rebate or the stickers. It's not only stickers. You get to choose. If you make under 150/300 then you get both.