Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be sad on Jan 1st, 2019 when my HOV sticker expires :'(

I purchased Model X on July 2017. I heard that cars purchased after 2017 gets new expiration date 2022. Is that still valid or did they change that proposal?
Still valid, but we're waiting to see what the implementation entails. I assume it will involve ordering red stickers that will expire Jan 1st, 2022.

A little data point. Sent in my application for the carpool stickers sometime in January. Just received them today. They are the white version. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother putting them on the car for the time being, as I have little use case for them. (I'm fortunate to have an office schedule that allows me to commute outside of rush hour.) They're still nice to have around though, in case I ever have the need. Hope that everyone else gets theirs soon!

I will be sad on Jan 1st, 2019 when my HOV sticker expires :'(

I purchased Model X on July 2017. I heard that cars purchased after 2017 gets new expiration date 2022. Is that still valid or did they change that proposal?

I did independent study on the topic and it appears if you got your sticker in Jan 1 2017 (Dec 2016 Model X Delivery) for me, you could get a 3 year extension.

Any car from 2019 on wards is good for at least 3 years.

Reactions: Maximilien
I did independent study on the topic and it appears if you got your sticker in Jan 1 2017 (Dec 2016 Model X Delivery) for me, you could get a 3 year extension.

Yup, this was the benefit for December deliveries that the DMV takes a few weeks to process and send your license plates, and you can't apply for the carpool stickers without the license plates.

Alternatively, you could buy a used EV from out of state, and that would qualify for new carpool stickers for another 3 years. That seems to be the loophole for used cars. I assume the automobile lobbyists put a lot of donations to make sure the stickers are only valid for 3 years based on date of issuance.

Reactions: MXWing
Yup, this was the benefit for December deliveries that the DMV takes a few weeks to process and send your license plates, and you can't apply for the carpool stickers without the license plates.

Alternatively, you could buy a used EV from out of state, and that would qualify for new carpool stickers for another 3 years. That seems to be the loophole for used cars. I assume the automobile lobbyists put a lot of donations to make sure the stickers are only valid for 3 years based on date of issuance.

How long are vehicle leases..... Hmmmmmm

Though on point 1, I have seen Volts get stickers without plates. So there's some way to bypass the 'plate' part but it worked out for better I didnt get it until Jan 2017.

How long are vehicle leases..... Hmmmmmm

Though on point 1, I have seen Volts get stickers without plates. So there's some way to bypass the 'plate' part but it worked out for better I didnt get it until Jan 2017.
Strangely enough dealerships were able to get their PHEVs preapproved for the green stickers without even selling them, but I did not see a similar program for the white stickers.

That's an awesome news. When can we renew it? Is there like a expiration date for application or should we wait until near the end of this year?

Strangely enough dealerships were able to get their PHEVs preapproved for the green stickers without even selling them, but I did not see a similar program for the white stickers.

That is not true, I bought BOLT EV with HOA Stickers on it. getting preapproved HOA stickers is dealers' business to attract buyers, in case of Tesla they do not give a dam to HOA stickers or even DMV paperwork. I enquired about HOA stickers while getting my MS delivery... "No we do not do that" is the answer I have got!

You actually can apply without Plates, they just don't want you to :)

As long as the application is processed AFTER the plates have been issued, you are fine. This is what we did for our S and Ford Focus Electric, it is what we are doing for our 3.

@Ritu_o0o : I called yesterday and was told they were processing Feb 21 at that time, so its about a 3 week delay

Reactions: Ritu_o0o

As long as the application is processed AFTER the plates have been issued, you are fine. This is what we did for our S and Ford Focus Electric, it is what we are doing for our 3.

@Ritu_o0o : I called yesterday and was told they were processing Feb 21 at that time, so its about a 3 week delay

Thanks for the update buddy!

Thank you.
I also sent mine in in early March with the check not cashed yet.

That is not true, I bought BOLT EV with HOA Stickers on it. getting preapproved HOA stickers is dealers' business to attract buyers, in case of Tesla they do not give a dam to HOA stickers or even DMV paperwork. I enquired about HOA stickers while getting my MS delivery... "No we do not do that" is the answer I have got!

its because only a dealer is able to apply for the stickers. tesla can sell cars in CA but my understanding is they are classified differently and cannot apply. not that they dont give a dam as you suggest.

Reactions: Ritu_o0o