TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CA HOV White sticker

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Maximilien, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

While I am still waiting for the white HOV sticker, anyone here got a ticket for driving HOV lane while waiting?

So far no cops have yet pulled me over, but I read by searching google that the cameras are there to issue a ticket.

Been there several times, would I get tickets in the following a few weeks?

How has your experience been for those who were in the same situation?

2. eyespii

eyespii Member

I only have one small white sticker on the rear diffuser, no side bumper stickers. Cop was next to me and attempted to pull me over because he didn't see the sticker. When he got behind me to flash his lights, he saw the small sticker and let me go.

They can definitely stop you in the HOV lane without stickers. Also, I think the express lane cams do look for the sticker too (but not 100% sure about that).

3. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

What about regular HOV lane like I-5?

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

WIthout a sticker they can ticket you.

With one, I've had cops behind me that drive right by...

I've posted this picture before.. (and others have used it)

[​IMG]Model S HOV Sticker Placement by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

That's the only sticker I've had on the Model S since 2013...

5. SoccerMan94043

Mine (one sticker) is in the same place and I've passed and had CHP behind me with out incident.

I chose not to drive before I got the sticker... I do see people do that all the time though.

6. eyespii

eyespii Member

I was in a regular HOV lane at the time. My car has a sticker in the exact same spot as the one in the pic above.

7. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Same here with the one HOV sticker as you guys have shown. As far as driving in the HOV lane before you get the sticker, I didn't. Risk adverse. But it is a crap shoot. There is no denying your car qualifies. But some cops can be a stickler for details.

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Sticker is required for the law to apply for solo HOV access...

The ticket for no sticker will stand.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. DA808EV

DA808EV Member

I was pulled over a couple times for driving in HOV lane without stickers on my car and giving a warning each time. The first time the officer pulled me over for speeding and didn't mention anything about the stickers. The second time the officer pulled me over because I didn't have stickers and let me off with a warning.

I finally put them on because I didn't want push my luck and continue the chance of getting pulled over.

10. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

How long does the sticker typically take from the time you send in the app? 30 days?

11. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

So I must say then I have been lucky so far because two motorcycle cops so far haven't ticketed me yet. They just either ignored or overlooked.

$22 I paid to DMV still has not been deducted. I don't know how long I have to wait more. It has been like at least 2 weeks so far.

But in HOV lane, I see so many people who drive ICE cars and still drive by themselves. It may be a chance game.

Bigger concern however is whether anyone got ticked from the DMV (not via cops) based on camera pictures in regular HOV lane.

12. KF94563

KF94563 Member

I got our stickers in December and it took about 30 days for the DMV to process.

13. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

It's been just over 30 days and I'll still waiting...

14. Joelc

Joelc Member

#14 Joelc, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    It's no different IMHO than if you got pulled over for speeding, although i don't know if an HOV violation counts as a moving violation (points on record?).

But in the end, the scenario is going to be the same....what are you going to say to the officer if/when you get pulled over? Will you be able to talk your way out of it? Is it worth it?

15. proxy

proxy Member

Is the sticker hard to remove?

Any advice on applying to bumper safely?

Magnets?

16. mookhead

mookhead Member

I got pulled over in my Roadster once (with all three stickers) - cop said he didn't realize I was an EV until he'd turned on his lights, so he had to pull me over. Had a nice chat and he sped off to stop some ICE cheater.

No MS stickers yet, so I'm sticking to the slow lanes and playing with autosteer :) Once I do get the stickers, I'll put on only the small one, on the diffuser.

17. privater

privater 2016 Model S60 owner

I only applied two: one on the rear, the other on the right side.
    Since you'll be driving most of the time on leftmost lane, no cop will watch your left side.

• Like x 1
  18. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I don't have the sticker and continue to drive in carpool without an issue. Though my windows are super tinted

19. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I applied for my sticker 3 weeks ago and still waiting. Is it a fix-it ticket if pulled over for not having them on the car (but having them in the glove compartment), or would it be an HOV violation ticket?

20. Joelc

Joelc Member

From what I could find online, HOV violations do not appear to be moving violations.
    But the minimum fine is $490.

High Occupancy Vehicle Systems