Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are supposed to file a REG 1000 form to get a certificate in your name when you buy a used car that already has stickers. The certificate VIN, plate number, name, and address should match the current registration and the certificate should indicate the sticker serial number that is on the car. So, if you put vanity plates on your car after you get stickers, you should file again to get a new certificate so the plate still matches. These things are rarely checked, but that is the correct procedure.

Yeah and i ended up doing it. was a good lesson, super suprised on turn around time to be honest.

I am new to this conversation as I recently learned about my expiring (12/31/2018) white California (CA) HOV sticker for my 2013 Model S.

I find this discouraging. I am an early adopter, as many Model S owners are - among the first to help get EV technology to escape velocity. Yet now we are told that newer models may renew their stickers, but we may not. This does not seem an appropriate way to reward early advocates of a greener technology. Perhaps I am missing something in the spirit of this legislation? I do not understand how this law/rule by the CA ARB is environmentally friendly. Essentially, I will have to now order a new (used) car from CHI/New England/Florida that has never had a CA HOV sticker in order to be able to use the HOV lane in crowded Silicon Valley on my way to work?

I am also wondering if I have missed an effort by the many well-educated, well-informed CA Tesla owners to modify this ridiculous rule?

Thank you!

I am in the same boat. While I understand the idea behind the change - to encourage more EV purchases, I would have handled it differently. When there are too many EVs congesting HOV lanes, I would have increased the HOV lanes. When the 1 HOV out of 4 lanes starts getting congested, I would have made the next lane HOV too. And keep increasing this way until effectively, minority lanes are left for gas vehicles over a decade or two.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
This is what happens when you remove the sticker: It leaves a bunch of tiny VOID VOID stickers behind, so that the original sticker has gaps reading VOID. Not sure how to peel those little suckers off.

I can confirm that if you have white stickers, and have to apply for replacement stickers, they will be white, but the Issued Date will be in 2018. Not sure if this helps.

Governor Brown just screwed electric car owners who bought their cars before 1/1/17 and have been issued the white hov stickers. The new bill (AB544) he signed on 10/10/17 does not extend our white stickers, but will expire on 1/1/19. Owners who are issued stickers after 1/1/17 gets an extension until 1/1/2022.

The new bill doesn't mention just ZEV (only PZEV and TZEV) which makes it confusing. But I do believe based on other articles and posts that I've read, that Tesla's (with white stickers) will be included in this new law, which will expire the program on 1/1/19 (I hope I'm wrong or that another bill is passed to make some concessions for ZEVs). I'm additionally frustrated because I purchased a used 2014 Model S in September 2017. The current bill states that if a used vehicle has been stickered previously (mine has been), then I wouldn't be allowed to apply for the new sticker. I really don't understand why a previous sticker on a vehicle is being factored into all of this, makes no sense.

The new bill doesn't mention just ZEV (only PZEV and TZEV) which makes it confusing. But I do believe based on other articles and posts that I've read, that Tesla's (with white stickers) will be included in this new law, which will expire the program on 1/1/19 (I hope I'm wrong or that another bill is passed to make some concessions for ZEVs). I'm additionally frustrated because I purchased a used 2014 Model S in September 2017. The current bill states that if a used vehicle has been stickered previously (mine has been), then I wouldn't be allowed to apply for the new sticker. I really don't understand why a previous sticker on a vehicle is being factored into all of this, makes no sense.

The point of the law is to encourage people to keep buying NEW electric cars. They get tax money which essentially they give back in the rebate unless you bought more than 2 EVs after 2015. And they know your EVs are going to be used somewhere, hopefully in CA.

Again it is all about forcing people to buy EVs. Whether you think this is bad policy or not is up to you. Midterm and governor election is coming up... I got ripped off too because I only 2 years and 2 months of driving on the carpool lane which can be useful in certain areas of CA like the bay area where carpool is everywhere.

The point of the law is to encourage people to keep buying NEW electric cars. They get tax money which essentially they give back in the rebate unless you bought more than 2 EVs after 2015. And they know your EVs are going to be used somewhere, hopefully in CA.

Again it is all about forcing people to buy EVs. Whether you think this is bad policy or not is up to you. Midterm and governor election is coming up... I got ripped off too because I only 2 years and 2 months of driving on the carpool lane which can be useful in certain areas of CA like the bay area where carpool is everywhere.
They get sales tax money on used cars too, and they get money on the recently increased annual registration fees.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
This is what happens when you remove the sticker: It leaves a bunch of tiny VOID VOID stickers behind, so that the original sticker has gaps reading VOID. Not sure how to peel those little suckers off.

I can confirm that if you have white stickers, and have to apply for replacement stickers, they will be white, but the Issued Date will be in 2018. Not sure if this helps.

You need to either put the sticker on using a magnet cut to the correct size - or - use 3M Scotch Guard film which attaches via surface tension which then will easily peel off.

For those wondering what the letter says, here it is. We received ours for our Model S yesterday. The form to complete is on the backside of it.

IMG_8956.JPG

Wondering if I apply for an HOV sticker for my Model 3 in January if there is a different color and expiration date. Anyone heard anything about new applications in 2019?

• Helpful
Reactions: rw99
Wondering if I apply for an HOV sticker for my Model 3 in January if there is a different color and expiration date. Anyone heard anything about new applications in 2019?
The color us red until 2022. There will be no new colors.

I'm very unhappy about it, as both of my Tesla's are blue. Will only put on one rear sticker though....crazy that the state wants you to put on 4 of these hideous things!

The color us red until 2022. There will be no new colors.

I'm very unhappy about it, as both of my Tesla's are blue. Will only put on one rear sticker though....crazy that the state wants you to put on 4 of these hideous things!
No, the stickers issued in 2019 will expire 2023, so they will have to be a different color to differentiate the expiration year.

I meant the end of 2022. Why exactly will they need a new color? Any car that received red previously is good until the end of 2022. Also, the letter they sent said the stickers were red.
The DMV and the underlying legislation talk about sticker expiration on 1/1/2022 and Jan 1 of the 4th year after issuance. So, talking about it in any other way is confusing.

Also, it should be made clear that cars that have White stickers that were first issued in 2017 or 2018 are getting Red stickers as an extension. Those extension stickers may be issued in 2019, but they will always be Red and will expire on 1/1/2022 regardless of when they are issued. Cars that are issued stickers for the first time in 2019 will get a different colored sticker that will expire 1/1/2023.