Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin being kept warm overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schwachs

International Man of Leisure
Jan 5, 2018
Arlington, MA
So I've noticed something weird over the last couple of days...

Both in the Tesla app and the Remote S app, it appears that my cabin temperature is higher than I'd expect for a car that's been in a 50-something degree (F) garage all night.

I did turn off the smart pre-conditioning feature (I can't remember the exact name) to see if it was just getting some weird scheduling logic due to my unpredictable driving schedule but even this morning it's 61° F in the cabin and 46° outside. Last night after a ride it stayed 70° for over two hours - maybe it just has amazing insulation?

I do keep it plugged in to the charger so maybe that's just a "feature" but I want to make sure I'm not burning something out nor wasting electricity.

Ideas?

I can't speak to your situation definitively, but I've noticed my interior temp is just wrong in the same situations. For example, it's 20 degrees here this morning. The car is in a carport plugged in and the interior temp is showing 40 degrees. If I go down to the car and check, the interior temperature it's really 20 degrees just like outside. This has been a consistent error since getting the car around 7 months ago. I also have power monitoring hooked to the charging circuit of the car. It has used 0 kWh since yesterday's charge. I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it's doing anything you don't want it to.

I believe it won’t measure the inside temperature (through the grill on the console) unless HVAC is actually running. So the number you see is actually the last measurement. I’ve noticed the same for the outside temperature where it thinks the temp is way lower than what’s in the garage. Unfortunately, the sensors aren’t a weather station in real-time. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and David99
Also, turning on the heat operates as it always has, unless you tell it to keep the climate control "on", then it will hold that temp until it you tell it otherwise or the battery gets low (camper mode).

BUT, ant time you turn on climate control from an app, it puts it in camper mode. It used to be that the climate control would only stay on for a set amount of time, but now it stays on.

I think your issue is likely what others have stated, but be careful about turning on the heat remotely just to check the car temp, and be sure to turn it back OFF unless you want things to warm up and stay warm...

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
I too have kind of wondered about this. I think warmth in the battery seeping into the cabin through the floor probably has something to do with it (from charging or from after driving). Easiest way to confirm is put something like an outdoor wireless thermometer inside the cabin and see if it matches up. In fact, I may just do that tonight to test it myself.

Ok, so say that it is the battery / charging... the charging ended hours before this... if the cabin temperature is in fact at 70 or 61 or whatever, do I need to be concerned that something is drawing power when the charging is over?

Ok, so say that it is the battery / charging... the charging ended hours before this... if the cabin temperature is in fact at 70 or 61 or whatever, do I need to be concerned that something is drawing power when the charging is over?
Probably not.

Even though charging does produce heat, none of that heat will make it through the case of the battery and then the metal floor of the car and then the carpet. You MIGHT get a few watts of heat through the floor, but it won't affect temperature.

The temperature sensor needs actual airflow in order to get an accurate reading. I've found turning climate control on for a few seconds will usually cause the reported temperature to fall from the high 40s to the correct temperature (around 20F here, right now). The car stops sampling temperature after a set time, so what you're seeing is likely just the last temperature it logged in the garage. If it's 50f in the garage and 75 in the car, it may take hours for the temperature of the two to equalize.

Reactions: appleguru
Both in the Tesla app and the Remote S app, it appears that my cabin temperature is higher than I'd expect for a car that's been in a 50-something degree (F) garage all night.
I did turn off the smart pre-conditioning feature (I can't remember the exact name) to see if it was just getting some weird scheduling logic due to my unpredictable driving schedule but even this morning it's 61° F in the cabin and 46° outside. Last night after a ride it stayed 70° for over two hours - maybe it just has amazing insulation?
I do keep it plugged in to the charger so maybe that's just a "feature" but I want to make sure I'm not burning something out nor wasting electricity.
Ideas?
I don't think you are crazy. I've had this happen a few times in my 2017 X. It has happened in my garage and you can hear it (electronics in front area of care) if you go to the garage for something (without keyfob). I think there may be a bug in the 'Keep Climate On' software. However, like you I use some apps to talk to my car but it would not make sense that the HVAC is working when it does NOT detect anyone in the seat unless I've forced HVAC remotely on or used the 'Keep Climate On'. I have not been able to track down the issue but have not had a problem for a couple days. I also did a TeslaFI.COM schedule to turn the HVAC off every 6 hours just in case. I've look at that minute level log but have not seen it on.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also did a TeslaFI.COM schedule to turn the HVAC off every 6 hours just in case. I've look at that minute level log but have not seen it on.

I just signed up for TeslaFI myself - can you explain how to set up a schedule to turn off the HVAC?

Also random thought... I wonder if TesaFI is somehow waking it up and causing the HVAC to turn on?

Ideas?

I've noticed mine staying much warmer than I would expect in the colder mornings. It's Florida here so not really cold be it's been getting into the 30-40s at night and my car is 65 in the morning. My car only charges about 45min a day and that starts as soon as I park it after getting home from work. I've kicked on the heat just to get the air moving to see if I get a more accurate reading and it may only drop 2-3 degrees before going up.

I also did a TeslaFI.COM schedule to turn the HVAC off every 6 hours just in case. I've look at that minute level log but have not seen it on.

I just signed up for TeslaFI myself - can you explain how to set up a schedule to turn off the HVAC?
Also random thought... I wonder if TesaFI is somehow waking it up and causing the HVAC to turn on?

TeslaFI.COM options:
n9RRa5B.jpg

I couldn't find any proof it was TeslaFI.COM by looking at the logging area and timings. If you look in the green area you can see when the temperature changes to try to narrow things down.

In the purple area is scheduling. The below is what I'm using.
6Tgf3aI.jpg

It is not affecting whether the car stays 'idle' as you can see below (19 hours).
IxY0dSD.jpg

Ideas?
I had this problem again today. Even when using the TeslaFi Stop HVAC at 12p.
I drove to a sporting event and then left the car for several hours. You can see the HVAC doing odd things.

Below is a cut-n-past of the data from TeslaFi that check the car every minute. I charted the inside tempeature.
hTGNknR.jpg

check with Tesla telephone tech support.
I reported this and was told they had other reports too, and a fix was expected in a forthcoming release.
Might just be a stock answer but came across genuine
Thanks. I emailed them so I could send the chart above and let them know others are having issues and to see if they would confirm that it is a known problem they are aware of.

Ideas?

The sensor is inaccurate without air moving over it. It heats itself up. It's not that warm inside.

If I have the same problem as the OP your explanation can't be right. When I got in my car after several hours it definitely was in the 70s and not in the 40s like the outdoors I was parked in. See graph Cabin being kept warm overnight?

If you think the car is warming itself, the only thing you need to look at is energy consumption during that period, which is most easily measured by rated miles reported. The sensor itself has no problems being 15F warmer than actual temp.

If you think the car is warming itself, the only thing you need to look at is energy consumption during that period, which is most easily measured by rated miles reported. The sensor itself has no problems being 15F warmer than actual temp.
But I explained already that when I got in my car after several hours it definitely was in the 70s and not in the 40s like the outdoors!!! Obviously it was running the heater to get in the 70s then.