Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Will you please add your Model year and Model type for your cars???
Perhaps in your Signature line...

It will help onlookers to help you...

@Hamtaro7 The LEDs added to the rear view mirror by individuals for testing
are IR or infrared. This spectrum is not visible to humans.
It was used for very early generation night vision systems.
It is still used on many webcams for security systems.
Think Ring doorbell or security cameras...

Shawn

Hi All,

Will you please add your Model year and Model type for your cars???
Perhaps in your Signature line...

It will help onlookers to help you...

@Hamtaro7 The LEDs added to the rear view mirror by individuals for testing
are IR or infrared. This spectrum is not visible to humans.
It was used for very early generation night vision systems.
It is still used on many webcams for security systems.
Think Ring doorbell or security cameras...

Shawn
Good point.
Model Y Apr 2022 Fremont build

Going to make a trip to service center on Monday. I was a little shocked my mobile tech had never heard of the issue. Also, curious if they could even solve this problem with software.

I made an appointment with my local SC and the camera was replaced and it took just about an hour. i haven’t had a chance to drive in the evening to see if I get kicked out of autopilot, but now I can see my car interior via sentry mode when parked in my garage. I assume if I can see the car interior the camera would see me in dark thus not kicking me off autopilot.

I made an appointment with my local SC and the camera was replaced and it took just about an hour. i haven’t had a chance to drive in the evening to see if I get kicked out of autopilot, but now I can see my car interior via sentry mode when parked in my garage. I assume if I can see the car interior the camera would see me in dark thus not kicking me off autopilot.
Just exactly what did you tell them as the "presenting complaint". Also, can you tell us any more specific description of the replacement part? Part No? Text ID...

Thanks, I'm planning to attempt (for a second time) to get this fixed on my early 2022 Fremont build model Y, and am hoping not to just get brushed off.

In my service request I stated that (1) I keep getting kicked off autopilot/FSD due to “cabin camera covered or blinded“ error; and (2) cabin camera can’t see anything at night in sentry mode. I did also attach a screenshot of the sentry mode that showed pitch black inside of my car.

B4A374F4-F02E-4A6A-95DA-B13364C7C661.jpeg

And in the invoice after the service it shows the part that was replaced as “INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD).(1588124-00-I)”.

Since the same “cabin camera” handles both autopilot and sentry mode, I “think” the sentry mode side of issue would be the one that would prompt them to think of it as a hardware issue than a software/firmware issue.

Screenshot of the sentry mode after the fix - big difference - and you can see the IR glow on top now that it’s working:

5F681A1C-3CC9-42E5-9521-D609BBF41286.jpeg

Here is the section of the invoice for your reference. Note: the technician did tell me that one of the two concerns might get deleted on the invoice if the two issues were related. Therefore, you will only see one of the two issues printed on the invoice. But liked I stated above, I believe the sentry mode issue was the [hardware-related] reason they replaced the camera.

579006C5-2FDE-47CA-8BC5-F39856B6BDB7.jpeg

Last edited:
All - I am happy to report that I was not kicked off autopilot once this evening - after the camera replacement.

There were a few stretch of highway on the way home where lighting conditions are really dark. Those are the areas where I got kicked off autopilot. Noe of that happened this evening.

‘This led me to conclude that the issue has been resolved.

I requested a service appointment for my Y, hoping to get a new camera.
A few points came up just getting in.
In the app, starting in from service,
I selected Driver Assistance Features|Cameras and sensors

I fumbled around doing copy and paste to try to get a long text version of background and facts into the service request. Part of my early failures seemed to be a maximum text limit, possibly as little as 400 characters, so the one I sent in the end was severely cut down.

Last, I got a very fast notification on the phone where my Tesla app lives that additional information was required to complete my service request. It requested the date and time that my problem had occurred. As it happened I had written that information in the <400 characters of my final text, so I think this was likely an automated request.

I did the extreme thing of quoting an exact part identification (text name plus model number) from this thread.

At the moment I have a mobile appointment for Thursday afternoon. I'll report developments.

All - I am happy to report that I was not kicked off autopilot once this evening - after the camera replacement.

There were a few stretch of highway on the way home where lighting conditions are really dark. Those are the areas where I got kicked off autopilot. Noe of that happened this evening.

‘This led me to conclude that the issue has been resolved.
how long did it take for them to replace the camera?

At the moment I have a mobile appointment for Thursday afternoon. I'll report developments.
I got a Tesla notification followed by a text message. Inside the service portion of the app I had a message saying that my issue was not addressable by mobile service, and they had made a Service Center appointment for me, which because of capacity and parts availability was for a couple of weeks in the future.

As it happens, the time was very inconvenient, so I used the app manage appointments, reschedule option to push it an hour and half later on the same day.

Possibly this is good news--we'll see.

Possibly this is good news--we'll see.
I got an email from Tesla service with a link to review my service estimate. On the PC (not the app) that took me to looking at a pdf which included the entire text I had submitted for my service request, and a list of three parts all listed as "remove and replace"
camera - triple- forward facing MY(151448-00-H)
camera - occupant INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD).(1588124-90-I)
harness - windshield (1616691-00-C)
Zero charge, covered under basic vehicle limited warranty

I consider this good news that they are at least considering replacing parts which should fix the problem.

They also list a goodwill check on the tire pressures and condition

My appointment is mid-February, so probably I won't be reporting any more for a while.

I got an email from Tesla service with a link to review my service estimate. On the PC (not the app) that took me to looking at a pdf which included the entire text I had submitted for my service request, and a list of three parts all listed as "remove and replace"

I consider this good news that they are at least considering replacing parts which should fix the problem.

My appointment is mid-February, so probably I won't be reporting any more for a while.
Sounds very similar to what I experienced:
  • booked an appointment through the app, was assigned to a Service Center instead of Mobile Service
  • initial estimate said they would remove and replace the forward facing camera and interior camera
  • service took 3 days, and they ended up replacing only the interior camera
  • issue resolved completely!
Hopefully your service visit is quicker and just as successful.

Sounds very similar to what I experienced:
  • booked an appointment through the app, was assigned to a Service Center instead of Mobile Service
  • initial estimate said they would remove and replace the forward facing camera and interior camera
  • service took 3 days, and they ended up replacing only the interior camera
  • issue resolved completely!
Hopefully your service visit is quicker and just as successful.
wow 3 days!!

I have same on the estimate.. but so far they completed only tire pressure check in 1 day.. nothing else done..

how long did it take for them to replace the camera?
It took less than an hour for the service center to finish replacing the interior camera. I took the complementary Uber back home and less than 30 mins I got a text saying it was done. Then I took another Uber back to the service center and picked up my car. The person who logged me in did say that they were not busy that day (this past Saturday morning).

No issue tonight when I drove back from work - not picked off autopilot even once - I consider this issue fixed.

Reactions: CHILLIBAJJI
I have same on the estimate.. but so far they completed only tire pressure check in 1 day.. nothing else done..
they replaced only cabin camera despite whatever was in the original estimate and everything works fine now for me. Did trail runs.
thanks everyone for sharing pictures and invoices so I could push my SC to resolve this... truly a community!

Not for the autopilot or FSD purposes, but the fact that one cannot see the inside of the cabin in the sentry should be enough of a reason to *try* to get the camera replaced. Took me a long time to realize the problem in sentry mode because I have it set to “off” when I am at home.

Reactions: ord3r
Thanks to this thread I was able to get my in cabin camera exchanged. Apparently my ‘22 came equipped with IR sensors and when trying to setup a service request I was initially denied because they said they’re logs did not see anything wrong.

I sent plenty of examples such as dark interior cabin and the slightest darkness outside I cannot use autopilot/fsd without getting the camera blocked. (Which they also kept saying maybe you blocked your camera, obviously not smh)

Had them replace the cabin camera with the parts listed in this thread and now I have no issues driving at night with autopilot/fsd and screen settings both on auto.

Attachments

• 78495E20-68C1-4F44-8A58-6C33AF544065.png
    78495E20-68C1-4F44-8A58-6C33AF544065.png
    417.8 KB · Views: 47
  • F7E034BB-9E5F-4271-815B-B40A4C33A70B.jpeg
    F7E034BB-9E5F-4271-815B-B40A4C33A70B.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DC528638-D577-4B4C-A537-7B33DCC7294E.jpeg
    DC528638-D577-4B4C-A537-7B33DCC7294E.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 44
  • F92FA58D-1449-4970-BB58-CBFE1F1F50CF.png
    F92FA58D-1449-4970-BB58-CBFE1F1F50CF.png
    540.2 KB · Views: 44
I had the service appointment yesterday. In the final invoice, they did not use the harness or the triple camera but did replace the interior camera.
Until now I was confident that would suffice.

Sadly it fixed nothing.
Specifically:
1. I got the usual three-step series of screen messages starting with the red hands of death, and ending with the assertion that autosteer had aborted because the cabin camera was obstructed... This after less than a minute of driving on a dark road after engaging FSDb.
2. I have tried and failed to see the output of the illuminators with my iPhone camera.
3. I can't see the seats or anything else on the cabin camera view when the car is in Sentry mode in my dark garage.

I believe they really replaced the camera, and I believe the part number is for one that should have illuminators.

So maybe the new camera was faulty, or perhaps they installed it wrongly, or maybe the car is not doing something it needs to do in order that power gets sent to the illuminators.

The service people warmed me this might happen, and specifically told me to capture a bug report (and note the date/time for future reference). This was actually not only mentioned to me verbally as I left, but was on the invoice. So I did do a bug report seconds after an episode this evening and have tried to advise them of it. I'm not sure what is the best method to send them information they have requested in this situation.

I'm not sure what is the best method to send them information they have requested in this situation.
After I posted that, I looked harder, and noticed that inside the app, under Service|History
I could touch the dated listing for my Service Center visit, then touch "messages" and find an input box with "type a message".
I sent a pretty detailed accounting of my current state, along the lines of what I posted here, and the next day (on a weekend!) got a reply requesting me to create a new service visit request giving the same information.

So I'll do that.