Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cabin Camera Unavailable" Kills FSD. AP Okay.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I caved in and bought a new replacement Rev G cabin camera off eBay for about $140 to replace the original 1098383-00-D camera that came with my 2018 M3P. I just installed it this morning, and guess what... it solved my problem! My wife and I went on two long FSD drives tonight after replacing the camera and did not experience a single "Cabin Camera Unavailable" error that would normally kill FSD. As mentioned previously, I would normally get a 'cabin camera unavailable' error within the first few moments of every drive, but this new Rev G camera seems to have done the trick. I'm going to continue to monitor the issue and I'll provide an update later this week after I get a few more drives in. But as of right now I'm considering it solved. Seems like a worth while solution for others to try if you are willing to do the work.

FYI... removing the trim around the rear view mirror was an absolute pain. The YouTube videos make it look so easy, but both the small trim piece as well as the larger shroud were attached via the clips extremely well. I was afraid I was going to break it, but eventually got it. Anyway, you'll need a good, small, L-shaped pry bar to release the larger shroud the first time. Also, I've been on 2024.3.25 for a while now in case people are wondering about SW version.

I caved in and bought a new replacement Rev G cabin camera off eBay for about $140 to replace the original 1098383-00-D camera that came with my 2018 M3P. I just installed it this morning, and guess what... it solved my problem! My wife and I went on two long FSD drives tonight after replacing the camera and did not experience a single "Cabin Camera Unavailable" error that would normally kill FSD. As mentioned previously, I would normally get a 'cabin camera unavailable' error within the first few moments of every drive, but this new Rev G camera seems to have done the trick. I'm going to continue to monitor the issue and I'll provide an update later this week after I get a few more drives in. But as of right now I'm considering it solved. Seems like a worth while solution for others to try if you are willing to do the work.

FYI... removing the trim around the rear view mirror was an absolute pain. The YouTube videos make it look so easy, but both the small trim piece as well as the larger shroud were attached via the clips extremely well. I was afraid I was going to break it, but eventually got it. Anyway, you'll need a good, small, L-shaped pry bar to release the larger shroud the first time. Also, I've been on 2024.3.25 for a while now in case people are wondering about SW version.
This is great news. Did you also have problems where the other cameras would also malfunction and did this fix it?

Also can you share the link for the videos for the installation?

I am happy to guide anyone who needs support with this. I have done this procedure a dozen times now.

The mirror is also a pain point. So far revision G is working for me as well!

• Love
Reactions: satlus and ronin
Day two complete and still no errors after all my drives yesterday with the Rev G cabin camera. I was able keep FSD active the entire time to and from work and never experienced any other 'cabin camera unavailable' errors during the non-FSD portions either. Service mode log is clear too. One thing that I forgot to mention during my install is that I needed to reset the DAS for the new camera to come online. I was in service mode and simply plugging in the new camera did not cause the feed to show up, but it came on immediately after my DAS reset was complete. So I'm sticking with my original statement that the issue is fully resolved.

This is great news. Did you also have problems where the other cameras would also malfunction and did this fix it?

Also can you share the link for the videos for the installation?

In the past, I would sometimes get additional major errors on the screen such as autopilot cameras unavailable, emergency braking unavailable, visualization unavailable, etc. which would disable all of my cameras and visualization until the DAS rebooted. I obviously haven't experienced that since the camera replacement. Also previously if I opened the rear camera viewer, I would sometimes see my left fender camera glitching. I have not specifically watched for that yet, so I'll monitor the fender cameras over the next few days to see if that glitching issue is also resolved.

You can find several videos on YouTube when you search for "Model 3 rear view mirror removal". I didn't find any covering specifically the cabin camera replacement; they tend to be focused on prepping for a window replacement, but generally provide enough detail about removing the trim and accessing the camera area. I don't have pics, but disconnecting the camera's coaxial cable requires sliding out a plastic tab to extend the lever that you squeeze to unlatch and disconnect the cable. It's not immediately obvious. Use your fingernail to extend/lengthen the tab part before attempting to squeeze and pull on the cable connector.

Anyway, this is a good video that shows the location of the locking tabs and clips on both the shroud and trim piece. This should give you a good run down on the process for accessing the camera. You will need a T10 Torx bit to remove the cabin camera screws after removing the shroud.
YouTube: Tesla Model 3 rearview mirror and trim removal

Ignore the number on the front. The revision number is on the back under a QR code sticker. It should end with a G and look like the top one.

The bottom is the allegedly faulty D revision. My first attempt likely failed because I bought a second revision D.

My service center seems to have fabricated a story about the car having unexpected electrical resistence in my front passanger door and tried to bill me $1200 for a harness they are "confident" will fix the issue. (camera would run through a pillar not a door) We will see about that....I think they are idiots.

It is possible I have multiple issues. Ill keep you updated on how revision G works out.
View attachment 1052739
yo these service centers be wilding out trying to get people with these non sensical repairs. wtf I had this covered fully and its easily tested via the app to see if the interior cam is working properly now.

Reactions: Cyber_Kars
yo these service centers be wilding out trying to get people with these non sensical repairs. wtf I had this covered fully and its easily tested via the app to see if the interior cam is working properly now.
I know, disgusting. Tesla needs to fire every service worker at the Ann Arbor Jackson Road Location. They had attitude as well. Maybe cars arent their speciality. I hear mcdonalds is hiring. They might actually contribute to society more there.

A few more days in and still no errors with the RevG cabin camera! I also have been watching my left fender camera feed through the rear camera viewer and so far haven't seen any sign of glitches for that left camera, but my monitoring time has been relatively short. However, it's possible the cabin camera replacement might also work as a positive fix for some other camera stream issues since the CPU no longer needs to manage the error from the cabin stream. Anyway, for those with consistent cabin camera errors, it may be worth the approximately $150 gamble to resolve the problem yourself.

I know, disgusting. Tesla needs to fire every service worker at the Ann Arbor Jackson Road Location. They had attitude as well. Maybe cars arent their speciality. I hear mcdonalds is hiring. They might actually contribute to society more there.
every service visit ( which if I do have I dread ) since they fired all those nice mobile people they don't offer this in my area anymore. I'm finding it harder and harder to think about getting another tesla since the service is piss poor its so disheartening because I like the vehicle but the service is horrendous

For those running revison G. If you go to the software settings on the intel screen. Is your car still checking for updates? Mine hasnt checked since June 4th. Im wondering if I need a software reinstall with the new hardware. Maybe its not checking because the server expects my old configuration.

For those running revison G. If you go to the software settings on the intel screen. Is your car still checking for updates? Mine hasnt checked since June 4th. Im wondering if I need a software reinstall with the new hardware. Maybe its not checking because the server expects my old configuration.
Doubt it's related at all. As long as all your ECUs are version matched (you can easily check this in service mode) a software reinstall shouldn't be necessary.

So I had a minor accident and ended up having to get *another* cabin camera installed, along with just about everything else attached to the windshield including the wiring harness... Before repairs were made (thankfully all of it was handled by my insurance) I noticed some interesting behaviors as my triple camera assembly and cabin camera were destroyed in the accident. All the rest of the cameras in the car that were still connected would intermittently fail and the streams would go black, and sometimes even the MCU would completely crash and reboot. This continued until all the cameras mounted to the windshield were replaced. I suppose when one or more cameras is failing it can cause the Autopilot computer to freak out and lead to all sorts of weird behaviors.

So I had a minor accident and ended up having to get *another* cabin camera installed, along with just about everything else attached to the windshield including the wiring harness... Before repairs were made (thankfully all of it was handled by my insurance) I noticed some interesting behaviors as my triple camera assembly and cabin camera were destroyed in the accident. All the rest of the cameras in the car that were still connected would intermittently fail and the streams would go black, and sometimes even the MCU would completely crash and reboot. This continued until all the cameras mounted to the windshield were replaced. I suppose when one or more cameras is failing it can cause the Autopilot computer to freak out and lead to all sorts of weird behaviors.
Kind of but a lot of people just have defective IR sensors related to block and blinded messages. I know when my fender camera had water leaking inside it wouldn't allow me to use AP but that also made the rear tail lights go berserk fast so its interesting how all these parts are connected.

Kind of but a lot of people just have defective IR sensors related to block and blinded messages. I know when my fender camera had water leaking inside it wouldn't allow me to use AP but that also made the rear tail lights go berserk fast so its interesting how all these parts are connected.
The IR cabin camera has been a complete debacle and disaster. I had numerous GPS issues on my 2021 Refresh S and Tesla Service swapped out my camera with a NON IR camera. (Told me that was as told and recommended by Tesla Service Support). I now have to keep my screen fairly bright at night and dusk to keep from getting Camera Blocked. Other than that no issues yet.

The IR cabin camera has been a complete debacle and disaster. I had numerous GPS issues on my 2021 Refresh S and Tesla Service swapped out my camera with a NON IR camera. (Told me that was as told and recommended by Tesla Service Support). I now have to keep my screen fairly bright at night and dusk to keep from getting Camera Blocked. Other than that no issues yet.
Interesting...I had GPS issues with my 2021 Plaid S and it was resolved by swapping to the latest revision (at the time at least, April-2023) in-cabin camera (with IR): 1588124-00-J. As I understand it, the old camera had insufficient shielding which causes interference with the GPS signal.

No problems with FSD on this car but have a 2018 Model 3 LR that was recently upgraded to HW3 / FSD which just started experiencing the "Cabin Camera Unavailable" error. Will contact service about this.

Reactions: boonedocks
2018 M3 here. I've been having this problem for years, but never found that FSD was worth the trouble so just kept my camera covered and used EAP instead of FSD. Now that FSD is better I have been using it on/off for the past few months only to have this issue reappear once the weather warmed up. For me it's definitely a temperature issue.

Just ordered a new "G" version of the camera off of eBay. Will provide an update once I get it installed and run some tests.

2018 M3 here. I've been having this problem for years, but never found that FSD was worth the trouble so just kept my camera covered and used EAP instead of FSD. Now that FSD is better I have been using it on/off for the past few months only to have this issue reappear once the weather warmed up. For me it's definitely a temperature issue.

Just ordered a new "G" version of the camera off of eBay. Will provide an update once I get it installed and run some tests.
ugh no idea why this hasn't been a recall so many people are being screwed by tesla

2018 M3 FSD here, same problem. To my great surprise the update they pushed a few months ago completely fixed it, but the latest push I got this week: 2024.14.9 & FSD 12.3.6 broke it again immediately. Have tried a reset a couple of times. I guess word has gotten out about the Rev. G cameras, too. Nothing to be found on ebay, except for people trying to off their old Rev. D cameras. Have tried searching for the trim piece w/ camera also, only rev D's.

Same problem with my 2018 Model 3. A temporary solution is to enter service mode, go to the Cameras tab of the driver assistance section, and reset the DAS. This reboots the ECU and camera and gets it working again until it randomly flakes out again later. The car entering sleep will sometimes fix this because this power down reboots the same system.
That worked for me! Thank you! Tesla needs to fix this!