Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Climate control system requires service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our drive from VT to FL in our 2020MY, and JUST after getting into 90* temps, our AC stopped working. Admittedly, the climate system seemed to be making an unusual sound at times, but everything seemed to be working fine. I’ve already submitted a service request but wondered if anyone else has had this happen in ‘mid-flight’?

There was a "service campaign" on certain 2020 and 2021 Model 3/Y cars (SB-21-18-002) to replace refrigerant pressure/temperature sensors in the heat pump that can fail over time. Perhaps your car is included in this campaign. If so, there should be no cost to you for Tesla to correct this.
Mine failed 1 hour after I picked up the car. Had to drive 450 miles home in sub freezing weather. They picked up the car on a flatbed and transported it 300 miles to the Spokane service center - then returned it 2 days later. No problem since.

Happened with our 2021 Model Y mid drive today. I went for a drive to a nearest supercharger and when charging completed cabin climate system died with error code VCFRONT_a447.

So I had to drive 50km back home without heating in -11C.

Heated seats and steering wheel helped, but foggy and frozen windshield didn’t.

Closest service center is approx 500km away.

Fun times.

Happened with our 2021 Model Y mid drive today. I went for a drive to a nearest supercharger and when charging completed cabin climate system died with error code VCFRONT_a447.

So I had to drive 50km back home without heating in -11C.

Heated seats and steering wheel helped, but foggy and frozen windshield didn’t.

Closest service center is approx 500km away.

Fun times.
Update on this. After 2h inside the garage cabin heating started to work again. I haven’t done anything to fix…

Unfortunately you should get to a service centre right away. I just had this problem. My heat would work intermittently and cabin preheat would not work at all. After I scheduled an appointment everything worked well and questioned whether I really needed to go in. Decided I should anyways and they found a wire "soft set" (which I'm assuming Tesla speak for loose wire haha) to the controller. Afterwards everything is great and works as should. Was kinda stressful wondering if my heat would work on cold days, now I feel much better. It sucks to bring it in so far but will be relieved you did!

As @Superxtruder says, don't hesitate to contact service.
I started getting the VCFRONT_a447 error on Monday last week and reported it to Tesla, although the system seemed to be still working. Three days later, during a long drive the heat stopped all together and would not heat or cool. Aside from a chilly drive home, the car could no longer pre-condition for supercharging and would only charge at a max 35kW at Heathrow (normally 150kW). Dog-mode does not work but also the heated seats can't be activated in the app as this automatically turns on the climate control.

I just got the VCFRONT_a447 error yesterday driving home from the ski hill and all the HVAC quit. Tesla service appointment is over 2 1/2 weeks away. Going to be cold driving if I can even defrost the window to get started.

This happened with my 2022MX last summer (2022) during a road trip in 100 degree weather. I was able to get it started for a short time after powering off the car 3 or 4 times in a row. I had to repeat that sequence 5 times on my drive up the CA Central Valley, but also decided to drive that at night. I scheduled it for service when I got home and it has worked great until today. It is doing the exact same thing again. I have just scheduled another service. Sigh.